Ibasso SR2...... 🍀 🇺🇸...here 😳
Sep 4, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #181 of 915
My problem is that I am never happy with eq'ing, never satisfied.
Can play with it for hours and never be happy.
Rather just have the default tuning that comes with the headphones.

Sep 4, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #182 of 915
Fine, call 'em tone adjustments. Personally, I don't see why people get so offended about eq-ing. It's like refusing to adjust your chair even though you can, then buying 100 chairs just to find the right one. Then 100 chairs more just to be sure. Stupid way to spend your money.

I don't understand why people get so defensive when somebody else says they don't like EQ.

Use EQ or not with headphones. Like it or not. It's strictly a personal preference thing. Who cares.

Sep 5, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #183 of 915
I don't understand why people get so defensive when somebody else says they don't like EQ.

Use EQ or not with headphones. Like it or not. It's strictly a personal preference thing. Who cares.
I do suggest to not EQ new headphones until they are broken in. The same for returning headphones before letting them break in.

EQ'ing too early can get exasperating, as the tone can change the longer you play them and the EQ therefore keeps changing too. That can frustrate people and create a negative feeling about the headphones the headphones really don't deserve.

Some headphones don't respond to EQ either, they flatten out when EQ'd at some frequencies and that can make the sound worse instead of the expected improvement.

Electronics are different between listeners as well, so an EQ that works for one person sharing with another with different EQ capabilities might not be able to replicate what the 1st person is hearing.

Tip-rolling, wires, screens, all make for a physical change we can all replicate, which over time has been much easier to share tunings this way.

Another negative I discovered long ago is that when I started EQ'ing all of my headphones for a particular sound I was actually flattening out the differences between my headphones, making them all sound the same.

After that realization hit me, that EQ'ing defeats the purpose of buying different headphones: why buy different headphones when you are going to tune them all to "sound the same"?

Now I simply enjoy the differences in my headphones without EQ'ing the differences out of them.

I do occasionally find a "thin" sounding IEM that responds well to the Loudness setting in Windows.
I don't expect to need to EQ the iBasso SR2... :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 5:51 AM Post #184 of 915
40h of burn in and they're lacking. I'll preface this by saying I didn't go full pink/brown/white noise but opted for a daily mix of 2-4 hours of accumulated pink/brown noise, frequency sweeps, low freq warbles, frequent pauses and music. Music that was played through them varied from spotify, foobar asio (16/44, 24/96, 24/192 and dsd), and upscaled flacs through hqplayer with a couple of digital filters. Equipment used: E30+L30, Qudelix 5k, Fiio E10k.

They've opened up quite a bit but vocal clarity is a predominant issue for me(less so than previous to burn-in).
The muddy bass cleared up as well unfortunately to the point of no oomph . It's still there, it's tight and well defined. You can hear it but it's miles away from any form of impact. The sub bass region wasn't a lot to brag about even previous to burn in and now it's much too recessed, barely audible. Overall I'd call the low-end too relaxed for my taste.
Soundstage is nothing to write home about. It's there. It's fine. I found that for an open-back they lack they didn't sound airy enough giving me the impression of a poorly isolated closed back. As such, I didn't like how jazz and classical sounded on these.
I stand by my previous statement, they sound best with metal and heavy rock, generally music that can do with a bit of smoothness and tends to sound sharp on bright headphones. If you like a relaxed warm-ish sound with just a bit of kick, these do it decently.
I'll end by saying these don't sound the money for me (but not many things do). I guess Ibasso knew that when they thought to include a case, nice cable and another set of pads to justify the price.
Build is definitely one of their strong suits and that alone could be an argument for the price. They are comfortable all over, look incredible and I really wanted to keep them. Alas, I'm not going to.

Sep 6, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #185 of 915
40h of burn in and they're lacking. I'll preface this by saying I didn't go full pink/brown/white noise but opted for a daily mix of 2-4 hours of accumulated pink/brown noise, frequency sweeps, low freq warbles, frequent pauses and music. Music that was played through them varied from spotify, foobar asio (16/44, 24/96, 24/192 and dsd), and upscaled flacs through hqplayer with a couple of digital filters. Equipment used: E30+L30, Qudelix 5k, Fiio E10k.

They've opened up quite a bit but vocal clarity is a predominant issue for me(less so than previous to burn-in).
The muddy bass cleared up as well unfortunately to the point of no oomph . It's still there, it's tight and well defined. You can hear it but it's miles away from any form of impact. The sub bass region wasn't a lot to brag about even previous to burn in and now it's much too recessed, barely audible. Overall I'd call the low-end too relaxed for my taste.
Soundstage is nothing to write home about. It's there. It's fine. I found that for an open-back they lack they didn't sound airy enough giving me the impression of a poorly isolated closed back. As such, I didn't like how jazz and classical sounded on these.
I stand by my previous statement, they sound best with metal and heavy rock, generally music that can do with a bit of smoothness and tends to sound sharp on bright headphones. If you like a relaxed warm-ish sound with just a bit of kick, these do it decently.
I'll end by saying these don't sound the money for me (but not many things do). I guess Ibasso knew that when they thought to include a case, nice cable and another set of pads to justify the price.
Build is definitely one of their strong suits and that alone could be an argument for the price. They are comfortable all over, look incredible and I really wanted to keep them. Alas, I'm not going to.
I listen to the SR2 most every day. I don't hear what you are describing. Not sure what to tell you but I consider them in the top tier of my headphones that I use.

Sep 6, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #186 of 915

Mine should be here by the end of this week. I can't wait to hear it myself.

Before you return yours how about let it burn in longer?. Ibasso products are usually advised to let burn-in. My go to Iem, It04 shone beyond their price points after over 100hours of burn-in.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #187 of 915
Mine should be here by the end of this week. I can't wait to hear it myself.

Before you return yours how about let it burn in longer?. Ibasso products are usually advised to let burn-in. My go to Iem, It04 shone beyond their price points after over 100hours of burn-in.
I would agree. They need far more than 40 hours. Mine have hundreds of hours on them now. They are very revealing, very good micro and macro detail and the timbre (I listen to piano and violin) is very good. In some important ways, I like them over the Utopia but I enjoy both headphones a lot.

Sep 6, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #188 of 915
J
I would agree. They need far more than 40 hours. Mine have hundreds of hours on them now. They are very revealing, very good micro and macro detail and the timbre (I listen to piano and violin) is very good. In some important ways, I like them over the Utopia but I enjoy both headphones a lot.
Jamato8, are you an Ibasso fan boy, cause if I follow your last comments on head-fi (tens of them) I noticed that those are only on this company's products (headphones, iems, daps, etc)? This is the reason why I follow this threads with a bit of doubt. Also some other reviewers who have the products on sale. But of course if you don't have the chance to listen to the gear, this kind of threads and reviews are the only way to make an idea about the products that I'm interested in...

Sep 6, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #189 of 915
J
Jamato8, are you an Ibasso fan boy, cause if I follow your last comments on head-fi (tens of them) I noticed that those are only on this company's products (headphones, iems, daps, etc)? This is the reason why I follow this threads with a bit of doubt. Also some other reviewers who have the products on sale. But of course if you don't have the chance to listen to the gear, this kind of threads and reviews are the only way to make an idea about the products that I'm interested in...
I also like Focal, Utopia, Stellia, the latest Abyss, LTA amps, Manley Labs Absolute, and other products. I post on what is new to me. I guess I am a fan boy of a lot of products. If the bothers you, well, there are far more important issues to be concerned with.

Sep 6, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #190 of 915
I also feel like I'm reading some fandom posts from a few individual users. Hard to tell, and it's possible that I could be wrong. Just seems to be the general vibe since the thread started. At any rate, I'm rather reluctant to purchase these just yet.

Sep 6, 2020 at 2:16 PM Post #191 of 915
I also feel like I'm reading some fandom posts from a few individual users. Hard to tell, and it's possible that I could be wrong. Just seems to be the general vibe since the thread started. At any rate, I'm rather reluctant to purchase these just yet.
Agreed. The dude with the video review who can't speak English properly or pronounce the product name correctly most likely got them as a shill. He has them for sale on a local website. I would think ibasso or some retailer sent them to him for keepers to promote them and hype them up. I might be wrong though. But yeah it does seem like too much hype for what they actually are. Veiled af.

Sep 6, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #192 of 915
Come on, don't tell me you weren't convinced by his "quality, quality, so much quality, quality, omg this quality, quality, quality and by the way the headband is so bad they will fall down your face unless you mod them, quality, quality, wow quality" "review". :grin:

Sep 6, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #193 of 915
Come on, don't tell me you weren't convinced by his "quality, quality, so much quality, quality, omg this quality, quality, quality and by the way the headband is so bad they will fall down your face unless you mod them, quality, quality, wow quality" "review". :grin:
:sweat_smile: Well, hype tactics aside I wanted to find out for myself because unfortunately these look the part. Shame they're such a big disappointment. Onto the Sivga Phoenix it is.

Sep 6, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #194 of 915
Agreed. The dude with the video review who can't speak English properly or pronounce the product name correctly most likely got them as a shill. He has them for sale on a local website. I would think ibasso or some retailer sent them to him for keepers to promote them and hype them up. I might be wrong though. But yeah it does seem like too much hype for what they actually are. Veiled af.
This is the problem with hyping things up or just being "too extra" - something that @paulybatz did from the beginning of this thread (nothing I have against, he is just passionate and excited, but can have a negative impact on some individuals). Sometimes people are just too excited about a product and are overwhelmed with emotions... but this can be a major problem. It's just like being under the influence of a substance, you are not thinking with your sane brain. You are rather in a altered state of mind, not the real and true one. This can make people overlook negative points of the product, but also blow good things out of proportion.

About hype - many people may get the wrong inception that these individuals are payed by the company. I can assure you this is not the case with iBasso, at no point did Mr. Paul present me the idea of paying me to say something good, or to hype them. Manufacturers mainly do not do this, imagine how much of a financial hit they would get if this individual decided to expose them =) That's not how business works, companies do not take any risks. If they are going to pay anybody, it's large media cooperations that will be chosen for that type of work.

@RSC08 I saw this comment before too, but I cannot find where it originates from - can you tell me? I don't seem to be too up to date with this whole thread....

I have the iBasso SR2 and am in the progress of writing a full review. I don't fall for hype, I don't fall under the influence of anybody or anything - just my honest opinion and what I hear. I have to say that the quality IS among the better built headphones on the market. The whole construction is made out of metal, that's not something to be overlooked IMHO. The headband is the best headband I came across, I believe it's Italian leather just like it was on the SR1. These are all things that are worth of mentioning, but you have to express yourself in a professional way.. or you are just going to come off as a fanboy, and we all know that nobody will take fanboy's opinion seriously.

The comfort is also 10/10 for me. Something special about them is that they create a very specific suction-like feeling. The isolation is far beyond average, I basically cannot hear people when I crank them up to a reasonable volume. But without any music playing, when you put them on, there is a vacuum-like seal feeling, and it's hard to explain because I never came across anything of this sort.

I am awaiting for my Burson Audio Playmate so I can give them proper power - my EarMen TR-Amp makes SR2 pick up some audible noise. This being said, I just focused on getting my photography done in the meanwhile. I will give my proper review procedure (reference tracks with minute stamps explaining what I heard).

Do not get a negative image of a product just because somebody got too excited about it... I mean George was a bit too excited, and I don't think many people will take content like that seriously - it is entertaining, but definitely not objective. I aim to stay as objective as possible, I take my time in writing a detailing review that will actually help somebody decide if the product is for them. So far, I only have positive things to say about the SR2.

@cloberpot it's possible you got a faulty unit, or are not driving them with a proper source. You can contact whoever you bought them from and ask for a replacement unit. If it's the same, just return it - it means that it doesn't suit your personal taste, and that's completely acceptable. I would give my comments about sound, but I cannot do because I didn't give them a proper chance. From what I heard with the TR-Amp, the bass is their stronger point, at no point muddy. Vocals sound natural, in some cases there is lack of sparkle, but mostly not. Same goes for highs, they sound clear, yet stay away from being bright or too lacking.

That's my 2 cents.

New comment, wohoo.
Onto the Sivga Phoenix it is

These are a whole different league from the Phoenix. I own both, not comparable. I am convinced you came across a faulty unit.

Sep 6, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #195 of 915
@voja It's regarding the video "review" on page 5 (post #72).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back