Ibasso PB5 the next dedicated portable Amplifier
Feb 3, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #181 of 469
There seems to mention the Ibasso Pb5 Osprey as having some special nutube effect.

Cayin C9 for me is just an amazing uncompressed amp flat all the way to the treble...similar to how people describe that MassKobo 475? Just gives alot of space to notes for the staging.

If you didn't give me the glow or spec sheets, I'd not know the C9 had Nutubes for some kind of "distortion" effect. (nor does it have the nutube air Treble roll-off)

Does Pb5 do the same? Or it actually has an interesting treble roll-off normally expected of Nutube implementations?
It trebles doesn’t roll off, it has very sweet tube harmonics. It also gives a lot of spaciousness

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #182 of 469
AK SP3000 Cu also works quite well with the PB5. Its balanced lineout can be configured to be fixed 2/2.5/4 V, works perfectly with the PB5.

You get that increased, holographic soundstage effect with increased bass slam for the SP3000 Cu, love it.

Feb 4, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #183 of 469
Superb fast delivery.
20240204_160820.jpg

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #184 of 469
What's the benefits of using all 3? I don't understand what the point of adding the Max to that stack
I have been thinking of a good way to answer without overflowing details. So, pardon me for keeping simple

1/ The D16 has the realistic timbres accuracy, neutral signature, amazing analogues fluidity and dynamic variations

2/ The 320Max has great quality Coax out into D16, and between Coax sources, there are differences.

3/ PB5 as an Amp, provide tube harmonic without distortions or roll offs. It has the spaciousness and airiness with it. Together with that, it also have some bloom and warmth in mid to lower bass

Over all, a good quality Coax is a must, 320M to squeeze out every last drop of the D16 for that analogues performances. To elevate it further, nothing beats a clean and high fidelity tube, PB5 harmonics

Apparently, I played around with interconnects, it has noticeable impacts toward the systems between PB5/D16. Therefore, you can find a good quality to match up and voice up your system the way you want. The same thing for Coax cables, there will be differences. However, stock IC is of very very good quality. Thanks Ibasso.

I have seen question such as 320M+PB5 VS D16+PB5

I will answer you that , D16 is a dedicated DaC, you need 1 more piece, the transport. Therefore, If you asked me 320M+PB5 VS Phone+D16, I will answer you that the later will be a much better choice. Because for the over all quality, they have similar quality output performances but the D16 provides an unmistakable realistic tonal accuracy with neutral signatures VS the 320M into PB5. Not only the 320M+PB5 has less of a tonal accuracy, but the PB5 warmth may be a bit much ? This combo signature will be upon preferences.

Ultimately the PB5 elevates the D16 analogue performance even further, it squeezed out every last sweats of the realistic timbres with it tube harmonic, which gives the ultimate Accurate timbres and amazing realistic harmonic contents. The stack is going to outperform most and many desktop systems out there.

Feb 4, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #187 of 469
Feb 4, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #189 of 469
I have seen question such as 320M+PB5 VS D16+PB5

I will answer you that , D16 is a dedicated DaC, you need 1 more piece, the transport. Therefore, If you asked me 320M+PB5 VS Phone+D16, I will answer you that the later will be a much better choice. Because for the over all quality, they have similar quality output performances but the D16 provides an unmistakable realistic tonal accuracy with neutral signatures VS the 320M into PB5. Not only the 320M+PB5 has less of a tonal accuracy, but the PB5 warmth may be a bit much ? This combo signature will be upon preferences.

Ultimately the PB5 elevates the D16 analogue performance even further, it squeezed out every last sweats of the realistic timbres with it tube harmonic, which gives the ultimate Accurate timbres and amazing realistic harmonic contents. The stack is going to outperform most and many desktop systems out there.
This is amazing info Whitigir, thanks very much. Would you by any chance own other DAPs than 320M? If so, could you test if there is a major/minor difference via coax out to D16 versus 320M? I'd be curious to know if a relatively cheap DAP that has coax out would produce almost the same result as the ultimate 320M. Thanks again for all the info you are providing on this new D16/PB5 kit.

Feb 4, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #190 of 469
This is amazing info Whitigir, thanks very much. Would you by any chance own other DAPs than 320M? If so, could you test if there is a major/minor difference via coax out to D16 versus 320M? I'd be curious to know if a relatively cheap DAP that has coax out would produce almost the same result as the ultimate 320M. Thanks again for all the info you are providing on this new D16/PB5 kit.
I have dx220, an ancient one, and it is a “no no”, as far as dap that has coax out

Feb 4, 2024 at 12:18 PM Post #191 of 469
I have dx220, an ancient one, and it is a “no no”, as far as dap that has coax out
Ho cool, thanks a lot, means there is really a difference between DAPs when used only as source coax out.

Feb 4, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #192 of 469
Ho cool, thanks a lot, means there is really a difference between DAPs when used only as source coax out.
The D16 is so good at what it does, it can tell you a lot of stuff when you compares here and there. The differences between USB/Coax is just one thing. It can tell you the differences between Coax sources, Coax cables....etc.

For example, the real Coax cables is not as good as the braided Coax cables coming from Ibasso provided in the D16

Feb 5, 2024 at 12:57 AM Post #193 of 469
Can anyone please try this in a Hiby R6 Pro II ?
I was considering the Mass Kobo 475, but this maybe would be a better choice......

Feb 5, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #194 of 469
PB5 in the house before noon.

First and foremost I would like to thank Ibasso team for the fast shipping before they close for LNY.

Next the hype is real to me. A steal for the price I (we) paid being MAX owners. Fantastic amp. Very dynamic and musical in analogue fashion as I hear it and witnessed by most owners here. I always have this mindset, being a tube lover, that the bass respond tends to be slower but not with this Nutube implemented by ibasso.

And the 2x stock IC factored in by Paul wow me as it synergised like bread and butter with PB5. Surprise me when it gives a better analogue flavour than my Brise IC.

Needs to babysit this beauty further.
IMG_3313.jpeg

Feb 5, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #195 of 469
Can anyone please try this in a Hiby R6 Pro II ?
I was considering the Mass Kobo 475, but this maybe would be a better choice......

Hi there, the PB5 would be an infinitely better pairing with a R6 Pro II than a Mass Kobo 475. This is an objective reasoning based on electronics and physics, and nothing to do with the subjective sound result you get from either.

The reason the R6 Pro II isn't an ideal pairing on paper with the 475 is simply the R6's high line output impedance – and the 475's low input impedance as a current-mode amplifier.

With the R6 Pro II capacitor-coupled, we risk what we call a high-pass filter forming with the low input impedance of the 475 to ground. Because what we've inadvertently created is a capacitor-resistor high-pass. In short, R6 into 475, you risk losing bass. Whereas the more conventional high-impedance inputs of PB5 mean that you enjoy a much flatter frequency response from a variety of sources.

As a lesser factor the impedance mismatch also lead to what we might call a poor voltage divider between R6 Pro and 475. It won't be a problem on sensitive IEMs, but in hard-to-drive low-sensitivity headphones you might run into loudness issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back