Ibasso PB5 the next dedicated portable Amplifier
Feb 3, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #166 of 470
I did stack N7 with the PB5 and it is incredible... A very different experience to the D16 as a source. The N7-PB5 is a texture king but a bit drier, while the D16-PB5 leads the way for atmosphere, ambience and space. Epic presentations from each, N7 or D16 as a PB5 source will suit different moods of the week. And then I'll have to try D16 feeding C9 next...

The N7 is one of the most insane sources for the PB5, period – but it gives a very very different presentation to the D16 as a source despite them loosely being based on the same kind of DSD DAC architecture.

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #167 of 470
The N7 is one of the most insane sources for the PB5, period – but it gives a very very different presentation to the D16 as a source despite them loosely being based on the same kind of DSD DAC architecture.
Very curious the differences you hear in presentation between the two sources.

Feb 3, 2024 at 3:33 AM Post #169 of 470
I tried it and loved the N7+PB5+U12t combo. Whatever it is that makes the U12ts too "normal" was gone and they sounded divine :)

Feb 3, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #170 of 470
Has anyone tried the Hiby RS8 with PB5?
The RS8 has 4V output voltage at the 4.4mm line out.
Maybe that is too much for the PB5?

The truth is that I know the input spec published by iBasso, but have tried several 4V sources without ever clipping the input of the PB5.

I wouldn't want to say the RS8 will work yet, only for it not to for you, but if I were you I would be keen to test just to see the result. It's not endorsed by iBasso, but audition with a variety of 4V sources on a first-hand case-by-case basis.

Feb 3, 2024 at 4:41 AM Post #171 of 470
Has anyone tried the Hiby RS8 with PB5?
The RS8 has 4V output voltage at the 4.4mm line out.
Maybe that is too much for the PB5?

Officially the Pb5 can only take an input of 2.5V from a source. If there is no way to lower the gain on the RS8, then instead of the line-out you'd want to use the headphone-out and lower the volume; essentially double-amping.
You would still be getting the nutube coloring effect of the playback; so may be worth it despite it seeming redundant?

PB5-0117_08.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #173 of 470
Officially the Pb5 can only take an input of 2.5V from a source. If there is no way to lower the gain on the RS8, then instead of the line-out you'd want to use the headphone-out and lower the volume; essentially double-amping.
You would still be getting the nutube coloring effect of the playback; so may be worth it despite it seeming redundant?

PB5-0117_08.jpg
No, I don’t recommend Double amping for a dedicated stack. There is a degradation to the sounds when double amping.

Yes, I do agree that I have seen no clipping by far when using PB5 and D16 that said 3.3V out max.

I am too curious about the differences

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:55 AM Post #174 of 470
Vince, have you checked battery replacement yet on D16/PB5?
Is it simple with removing screws and case or difficult with glue etc?

Feb 3, 2024 at 7:48 AM Post #175 of 470
Vince, have you checked battery replacement yet on D16/PB5?
Is it simple with removing screws and case or difficult with glue etc?
Simple with 2 screws in the back and chassis lid slide out . of course the battery packs has some glues into the chassis but that is the easy parts

Feb 3, 2024 at 8:50 AM Post #178 of 470
Guess so i use high gain on pb5 too.
Technically, a pure amping unit should take in the lowest Line Level and while staying at the Lowest Gain, but crank up the highest volume, for the best of performances. There are several reasons why behind all that. But if there is no degrading in sound quality from using high-gain on PB5, then why not :)

Feb 3, 2024 at 8:58 AM Post #179 of 470
Technically, a pure amping unit should take in the lowest Line Level and while staying at the Lowest Gain, but crank up the highest volume, for the best of performances. There are several reasons why behind all that. But if there is no degrading in sound quality from using high-gain on PB5, then why not :)
I only use my tungsten to demo so I use high gain.My pb5 should reach next week.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2024 at 9:35 AM Post #180 of 470
There seems to mention the Ibasso Pb5 Osprey as having some special nutube effect.

Cayin C9 for me is just an amazing uncompressed amp flat all the way to the treble...similar to how people describe that MassKobo 475? Just gives alot of space to notes for the staging.

If you didn't give me the glow or spec sheets, I'd not know the C9 had Nutubes for some kind of "distortion" effect. (nor does it have the nutube air Treble roll-off)

Does Pb5 do the same? Or it actually has an interesting treble roll-off normally expected of Nutube implementations?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back