iBasso PB3 Mockingbird Portable Balanced Headphone Amplifier
Jan 24, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #46 of 249
Decided to order one of these and it arrived a couple of days ago. So far I am impressed. I have used it with my AK jr, iPod touch and Sony z3 together with my Mee P1's and Sony Mdr 1a. Surprisingly the best combination I have found so far has been PB3, iPod touch and mdr 1a's . My usual preferred combo is Z3 and p1's together with my Mojo. The PB 3 some how manages to tame the bass on the mdr 1's in a way the Mojo is unable to do and also in a way the oppo ha-2 is also unable to. Given how the P1's sound so good through the Mojo and Mdr 1's don't, I was expecting the same result. However, I am happy with the outcome as I will now be using the sony's a lot more.

We designed the PB3 to work with all the frequencies. It is part of the circuit design we have developed. As the PB3 burns in you will hear even more improvements.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 24, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #47 of 249
We designed the PB3 to work with all the frequencies. It is part of the circuit design we have developed. As the PB3 burns in you will hear even more improvements.

You've created a really good product. I especially like the slim design. Size wise, it fits perfectly with the iPod touch, which is also very thin.

I've only done about 40 hours so far and it already sounds fantastic. Looking forward to hearing the improvements. I hope to be able to get a balanced cable in the next couple of weeks, which may better suit the P1's.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #48 of 249
You've created a really good product. I especially like the slim design. Size wise, it fits perfectly with the iPod touch, which is also very thin.

I've only done about 40 hours so far and it already sounds fantastic. Looking forward to hearing the improvements. I hope to be able to get a balanced cable in the next couple of weeks, which may better suit the P1's.

And you haven't used it in balanced?
smile.gif
Enjoy the music. That is what this is all about.

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #49 of 249
And you haven't used it in balanced? :smile: Enjoy the music. That is what this is all about.

Just plugged in my Campfire Audio Nova with the Litz cable reterminated to 2.5mm balanced. Was switching back and forth between single-ended and balanced with a 2.5mm -> 3.5mm adapter. First thing to note is that I don't think I've mentioned it yet, but both the 2.5mm and 3.5mm jacks feel like the typical iBasso custom jacks. In other words, they're very high-quality with a nice snug fit. The difference between single-ended and balanced was immediately noticeable and brought a smile to my face. Wider soundstage with more separation, bass feels tighter and more defined, and highs feels a bit crisper.

The only thing I would change so far is that (as with many amps), I wish the Low Gain setting was less aggressive so I could have more usable range on the volume potentiometer with more sensitive IEM. Again, that's a common wish of mine with both amps and DAPs. At least the volume knob turns smoothly, has good resistance, and is recessed, so you're not going to be turning it on accident.

I loaned IT03 to some headfi buddies to try out. I can't wait to get it back, attach my balanced Litz cable, and try it out with the PB3. I think it's going to be a good match.

Very nice job Paul - iBasso. I'm hoping more people will try this out!

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #50 of 249
SPOILER ALERT!

I've received a sample unit for reviewing today and gotta say... looks stunning :D And damn, it's so small :D I've owned Fiio E12A and Aune B1 v2016 and it's like half the thickness and quite a lot less in width and lenght. Really, really impressive.

What I have is my Pioneer XDP-100R as a source and... wait for it... iBasso IT03 with iBasso balanced cable and my custom 8-strand true hybrid (SE). Then there are UE Triple.Fi 10 with custom 8-strand copper balanced cable. There are Final Audio F4100 with full stock and... for a grand finale FLC8S with both stock SE and balanced cables but... I am waiting for custom silver balanced cable for testing purpose of my IT03 and F4100.

If it's not a melomaniac heaven then I don't know what is :D

Gonna grab my coffee and let the eargasm begins :D WOOHOO!

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #51 of 249
SPOILER ALERT!

I've received a sample unit for reviewing today and gotta say... looks stunning :D And damn, it's so small :D I've owned Fiio E12A and Aune B1 v2016 and it's like half the thickness and quite a lot less in width and lenght. Really, really impressive.

What I have is my Pioneer XDP-100R as a source and... wait for it... iBasso IT03 with iBasso balanced cable and my custom 8-strand true hybrid (SE). Then there are UE Triple.Fi 10 with custom 8-strand copper balanced cable. There are Final Audio F4100 with full stock and... for a grand finale FLC8S with both stock SE and balanced cables but... I am waiting for custom silver balanced cable for testing purpose of my IT03 and F4100.

If it's not a melomaniac heaven then I don't know what is :D

Gonna grab my coffee and let the eargasm begins :D WOOHOO!

Sweet, welcome to the club!

Balanced out from PB3 sounds very good. Very nice improvement over single-ended :thumbsup_tone2:

Feb 3, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #52 of 249
Sweet, welcome to the club!

Balanced out from PB3 sounds very good. Very nice improvement over single-ended :thumbsup_tone2:

We wanted a low profile high quality amp to go with anyone's choice of source. Hopefully the PB3 will meet these needs. Even the resistors are high quality types.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #53 of 249
I am new Head-Fi. I have a couple of questions.

1. Has anyone every done a blinded study to see if a person can hear difference between a balanced out or no balanced out signal ?

2. I thought from my reading that most  balanced amps have higher output in balanced mode  vs non balanced output? This amp is still 480mW in both modes. 

3. I currently have a Cowon Plenue M2 and was looking for a nice match portable amp to give me more power to drive harder to drive headphones. The M2 says it has 2Vrms outuput at 1Ohm. I was wondering how is that out put power compared to the PB3? I want to move up in power . I am considering a less expensive option Fiio A5(129$)  which on paper looks like it has more power. 

Is there a any articles with a formula or conversion calaculator to compare specs on amplfier outputs at various impedance ? 

I have a pair of HIFIMAN HE 400I and a pair of Aeon Mr. Speakers on order which are lower ohmn and decent sound senstivity and can do a balanced cable setup. But I want more power for future purchases. 

I want a nice size amp that will stack with my M2 which is great DAP and a balanced out  would be great , if it will add anything to quality of the sound. 

Why are people are using a using a  straight connector when stacking a amp with a player vs right angle plug ?

Thanks for your help to a newbie.

Rick 

Feb 8, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #54 of 249
@nmatheis Any d14 --> pb3 impression??

I have a d14 and would like to know if you've tried stacking the two. I am currently looking for a balanced amp, and happened to stumbled across this. I have a feeling that this would be the ideal portable rig for me. Plus the VE zen 2.0 balanced 
biggrin.gif

Feb 8, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #55 of 249
@nmatheis
 Any d14 --> pb3 impression??

I have a d14 and would like to know if you've tried stacking the two. I am currently looking for a balanced amp, and happened to stumbled across this. I have a feeling that this would be the ideal portable rig for me. Plus the VE zen 2.0 balanced :D  

I haven't tried that. What are you thinking of for the source? Your phone?

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #56 of 249
Yeah, at least for now. I mainly use tidal and my phone plays flac as well, so I don't really feel like I am missing much. If you have time to try that combo, and post some impressions that would be excellent! 

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #57 of 249
I haven't tried that. What are you thinking of for the source? Your phone?

Yeah, at least for now. I mainly use tidal and my phone plays flac as well, so I don't really feel like I am missing much. If you have time to try that combo, and post some impressions that would be excellent! 

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #59 of 249
Hi , total newb here. I want the advantage of slightly better imaging and sound stage gained from balanced amps. Would I get this from the iBasso PB3 Balanced AMP with 2.5mm Output , in the same way you get from XLR ..

Mar 2, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #60 of 249
Hi , total newb here. I want the advantage of slightly better imaging and sound stage gained from balanced amps. Would I get this from the iBasso PB3 Balanced AMP with 2.5mm Output , in the same way you get from XLR ..

Yes, I think you will. PB3 balanced out has very good imaging, soundstage, and detail. The gain is a little aggressive for easy to drive IEM, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back