iBasso PB3 Mockingbird Portable Balanced Headphone Amplifier
Jan 18, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #31 of 249
nmatheis
I read about that but never actually listened to it before.
Listening to Eric Clapton Unplugged lp ripped on balanced, very enjoyable, lively!

OK. I was asking because I've got D14 on hand, and it sounds to me like DX90 taken to a whole new level. I think some time with PB3 vs D14 is in my future :wink:

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #32 of 249
PB3
Using C & C aluminum processing, ultra-thin body design.
Equipped with 2.5mm balanced interface and 3.5mm Non-balanced Earphone jack.
2-setting gain switch design
Imported Alps audio potentiometer.
2500mAh chloride ion battery with 20 hours long life.

Specifications

Output power: ≤ 480mWSignal to noise ratio: ≥ 120dBTotal harmonic distortion: <0.0005%Life time: 20HEarphone adapter impedance: 8 ~ 300ΩSize: 120 * 63 * 11.1mmWeight: 135g

Retail Price: $199.00

D14 Specifications:

Power Source: Built-in 4.2V Li-polymer Batteries or
external power supply.
Frequency Response: 17Hz~20 KHz +/-1dB (DAC)
17Hz~100 KHz +/-0.2dB (AMP).
Signal to Noise Ratio:115dB (DAC), 116dB (Amp).
Crosstalk: 106dB (DAC).
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.0018%@1kHz/-10dBF (DAC)
0.0012%@1kHz/max volume (AMP).
Output power: Up to 400mW+400mW into 32ohm.
Gain: +3dB and +9dB (AMP).
Battery Life: 13 hours AMP+DAC or 25 hours if amp only.
Battery Charge Time: 5 hours.
External Power supply: 5V DC.
Recommended Headphone Impedance: 8~300.
Output impedance: 0.1ohm.

Retail Price: $229.00 

I would like to have the comparison between the two as well. While D14 is DAC/Amp, PB3 only works as amp, it is obvious ibasso is targeting at those who want an upgrade of sound to their smartphone.
Comparing the prices of the two, PB3 is not cheap!
PB3 has slightly higher output power than the D14, with balanced output, it said to have 4X higher than the single end one(?). I think one of the selling points of PB3 is definitely it's balanced output, which almost becomes a "standard" of the newer dap in the market now.

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #33 of 249

PB3
Using C & C aluminum processing, ultra-thin body design.
Equipped with 2.5mm balanced interface and 3.5mm Non-balanced Earphone jack.
2-setting gain switch design
Imported Alps audio potentiometer.
2500mAh chloride ion battery with 20 hours long life.

Specifications

Output power: ≤ 480mWSignal to noise ratio: ≥ 120dBTotal harmonic distortion: <0.0005%Life time: 20HEarphone adapter impedance: 8 ~ 300ΩSize: 120 * 63 * 11.1mmWeight: 135g

Retail Price: $199.00

D14 Specifications:

Power Source: Built-in 4.2V Li-polymer Batteries or
external power supply.
Frequency Response: 17Hz~20 KHz +/-1dB (DAC)
17Hz~100 KHz +/-0.2dB (AMP).
Signal to Noise Ratio:115dB (DAC), 116dB (Amp).
Crosstalk: 106dB (DAC).
Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.0018%@1kHz/-10dBF (DAC)
0.0012%@1kHz/max volume (AMP).
Output power: Up to 400mW+400mW into 32ohm.
Gain: +3dB and +9dB (AMP).
Battery Life: 13 hours AMP+DAC or 25 hours if amp only.
Battery Charge Time: 5 hours.
External Power supply: 5V DC.
Recommended Headphone Impedance: 8~300.
Output impedance: 0.1ohm.

Retail Price: $229.00 

I would like to have the comparison between the two as well. While D14 is DAC/Amp, PB3 only works as amp, it is obvious ibasso is targeting at those who want an upgrade of sound to their smartphone.
Comparing the prices of the two, PB3 is not cheap!
PB3 has slightly higher output power than the D14, with balanced output, it said to have 4X higher than the single end one(?). I think one of the selling points of PB3 is definitely it's balanced output, which almost becomes a "standard" of the newer dap in the market now.

It's an interesting move on iBasso's part to include balanced out but no balanced in. It's one of the reasons I purchased this amp. Good specs, sexy design, intriguing philosophy!

I'm hoping @Paul - iBasso will going the discussion and give us some background on PB3!

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #34 of 249

It's an interesting move on iBasso's part to include balanced out but no balanced in. It's one of the reasons I purchased this amp. Good specs, sexy design, intriguing philosophy!

I'm hoping @Paul - iBasso will going the discussion and give us some background on PB3!

The idea behind the PB3 was to develop a high quality amplifier for use with daps and phones. To get all this packed into a small flat case was a challenge. We decided to go with CNC for quality and structural strength. We also use a hard anodizing finish for longevity of the appearance. Internally we used extremely high quality parts and kept the signal path as clean as possible. Most sources that will be used with the PB3 will be single ended and in order to economize on size we have a single ended input but what we feel is a very good balanced or single ended output.

I look forward to everyone's impressions of the PB3.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 18, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #36 of 249
Just two questions:

- will it drive DT770-250s properly?

- how do I rewire the Beyers to a 2.5mm TRRS plug?

Jan 18, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #37 of 249
Paul - iBasso"We also use a hard anodizing finish for longevity of the appearance."
I have no issue with the appearance but the two matted plates are easily scratched!
With the dx90 slipped in the silicone case, a soft sponge in between the player and pb3, and all this while only placed on my bed, scratches are still all over. Though it has nothing to do with the sound, aesthetically, it's unpleasant to look at. ibasso should look into the external build, not only the sound!

Jan 18, 2017 at 10:26 PM Post #38 of 249
@Paul - iBasso"We also use a hard anodizing finish for longevity of the appearance."
I have no issue with the appearance but the two matted plates are easily scratched!
With the dx90 slipped in the silicone case, a soft sponge in between the player and pb3, and all this while only placed on my bed, scratches are still all over. Though it has nothing to do with the sound, aesthetically, it's unpleasant to look at. ibasso should look into the external build, not only the sound!

Can you send me some images? I am not sure why it would be scratched and I don't doubt you. I have one here at the desk that has gotten rough treatment since I have to test a lot and the case is still like new so I would like to get to the bottom of this.

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #39 of 249
Paul - iBassoTo avoid further scratches I thought of wrapping it with shrink wrap with a cotton tape on top, before I stack the dx90 on it.

Now I removed the wrapper, cleaned and wiped the surface, what I can see is only fine marks(not noticeable in the photo) which before this I thought there were scratches, there were probably some line marks caused by moving the sponge between the player on top and the pb3 plate surface at the bottom,which can be wiped away, it could just be the characteristics of the material.

[/IMG]

From now on I'll use it without the wrap to see if it is scratch resistant.
I apologise for making assumption too soon before confirming it. And with this too you can appreciate how we treasure the gadgets that we own!

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #40 of 249
[attach]1799083[/attach]

From now on I'll use it without the wrap to see if it is scratch resistant.
I apologise for making assumption too soon before confirming it. And with this too you can appreciate how we treasure the gadgets that we own![/quote]

It is okay. I am glad there are no scratches. I am not saying it can't be scratched but it is very resistant to them. There is nothing wrong with protecting the surface. Part of the reason I am rough on what we make is because I want to see how well it holds up. How is the sound for you?

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #41 of 249
It is okay. I am glad there are no scratches. I am not saying it can't be scratched but it is very resistant to them. There is nothing wrong with protecting the surface. Part of the reason I am rough on what we make is because I want to see how well it holds up. How is the sound for you?
It sounds amazing! It takes my modded dx90 to another level, and still trying it out on balanced which is something new to me.

Jan 24, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #45 of 249
Decided to order one of these and it arrived a couple of days ago. So far I am impressed. I have used it with my AK jr, iPod touch and Sony z3 together with my Mee P1's and Sony Mdr 1a. Surprisingly the best combination I have found so far has been PB3, iPod touch and mdr 1a's . My usual preferred combo is Z3 and p1's together with my Mojo. The PB 3 some how manages to tame the bass on the mdr 1's in a way the Mojo is unable to do and also in a way the oppo ha-2 is also unable to. Given how the P1's sound so good through the Mojo and Mdr 1's don't, I was expecting the same result. However, I am happy with the outcome as I will now be using the sony's a lot more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back