iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight recommended op amps page 16. .
Oct 10, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #511 of 1,604
Mmmm, just sublime with the HE-500.  My go to setup every time.  Am curious about the HD-800 though, simply for that extreme soundstage.  Anyone have experience with that and Ron's kit?  Calm down the treble and add some body to it?

Oct 10, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #512 of 1,604

Quote:
to be fair mate, Nigel has been around long enough, owned similar smaller rigs to what you mention, owned desktop amps, but having a single transportable rig suits his budget and lifestyle better, as ive seen you say before, you just cant argue with informed decisions like that.

Cheers Pal, appreciate that.

Yeah, I'm also a big fan of the P4, hell I sold my 2Stepdance and kept it in favour. But there are improvements to be had going balanced. I wouldn't expect peeps to go for a stack like that if they couldn't justify the cost. We all know that improvements get more expensive as you get further along and I guess we all get to a point where we can't justify the spend. Me? I'll find the money somehow haha!

Oct 10, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #513 of 1,604
Hi, got myself a PB2 a couple of months back, and am now using it with an S:Flo2, and the Stage93 Stage6 customs (they're really really new, I think there's only 3 units so far).
Unfortunately, I found the mids, especially female vocals (along the lines of Utada Hikaru) somewhat reccessed and.. lacking
I'm using the AD797, and doubling up the BUF634. So... what opamp/buffer set-up would push the mids forward? (I have already ordered the HA5002 though, so that's pretty set-in-stone for buffer options...)
Alternatively, if it isn't something which can be changed by opamp rolling, I might beg the owner of Stage93 to retune the customs...
Thanks in advance!

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #515 of 1,604
The best I've heard for the PB2 (and I've rolled just about every well know) is the OPA1611 (1612 - Dual) biased to class A. I have never been steared wrongly by Ron (HiFlight) and this is what he recommends in his ''Topkit''.

Just to acknowledge Qusp here also, he prefers the OPA1641 (1642 - Dual) but I'd be lying if I said I could tell a difference between 1611's and 1641's in the PB2. In my Fi-quest I don't know why I just prefer the OPA1641's, no biasing, just as they are. Dunno, is that to do with supply voltage?

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #516 of 1,604
Wow, thanks for the speedy response ^^
I'm not using the HA5002 yet (unfortunately) as it will only be arriving in about 2 weeks.
I've heard some pretty yummy things about the LT1677, how would that compare with the OPA1611?
(Asking because I've ordered the LT1677 at the local electronics store already, and I'd feel kinda' bad cancelling...)

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #517 of 1,604
with some passive crossovers as put in multidriver iems, going balanced can alter the tonal balance somewhat, because the load impedance (headphones) is driven by 2 parallel amplifiers with the load seen in series. for jh13 i dont find it detrimental, just the usual deepening of bass response and increase in slam and transparency, but conceivably on yours the mids may be slightly effected, either that or you just arent yet used to the increased bass response and the mids therefor seem recessed by comparison. just a couple of other possibilities other than opamp preference. 

@ Nigel: no problem man, all true, I know estreeter is partial to the transportable in the right situation, so thought he should know it wasnt a blind or uninformed choice on your part.

re 1611/41 yeah thats where my preference for 1641 came from too, fiQ, possibly i would prefer 1611 in the dba2 as well, who knows, but i doubt it would displace the lme49990 its my new single opamp poster child. doesnt see much airtime except in 'the wire' home amp these days though, i'm fully differential chips all the way portable these days, rocking opa1632dgn at the moment, love it, yet another jhet input, gonna graft in some lme49610 buffers one of these days and see how badly battery life is effected.

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #518 of 1,604

Quote:
to be fair mate, Nigel has been around long enough, owned similar smaller rigs to what you mention, owned desktop amps, but having a single transportable rig suits his budget and lifestyle better, as ive seen you say before, you just cant argue with informed decisions like that.

Fair enough - I just have a pathological need to keep banging on about cost - if it gets the job done, the cost is irrelevant.

Oct 12, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #520 of 1,604
My battery crapped out on me.  It won't operate without plugging it in.  Sent my in to iBasso for warranty work and end up paying extra $30 for them to send a replacement.  Ibasso was suppose to send a unit out to me on Monday the 10th and provide a tracking number but so far no email from them.  Tried emailing them to confirm the shipment, but they haven't replied yet.
Is there a holiday in China or something? 

Oct 12, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #522 of 1,604
Guh, 15 for shipping, and if it's the battery it might cost 30 dollars for replacement + shipping cost back from Ibasso and this item is barely 6 months old.  Seriously?  The sound quality is amazing but damn, rofl.  Gotta love that "lack of warranty".

Oct 12, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #523 of 1,604

Quote:
Guh, 15 for shipping, and if it's the battery it might cost 30 dollars for replacement + shipping cost back from Ibasso and this item is barely 6 months old.  Seriously?  The sound quality is amazing but damn, rofl.  Gotta love that "lack of warranty".

I find that iBasso's customer service is excellent.  They made every effort to make sure that my PB2 gets to me before my vacation.  Got my new PB2 today and they shipped it UPS, free of charge.  I had to pay $30 for restore fee.  They had to restore my PB2 to new condition (case, etc.).
You might try contacting iBasso and I'm pretty sure they will work something out for you.

Oct 20, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #525 of 1,604
I received the OPA1642 from Ron recently and the sound with the PB2 and the 5002 buffers is outstanding. Great spacial information and a quality of micro dynamics that puts the extra live touch to the music. The 1642 in this situation, sounds very tube like in the 3D and ambience feel to it. Very much worth it! Oh, they are in class A (the socket that Ron has that allows you to use other dual op amps in class A with just switching them as the class A resistors are in a separate socket that the 1642 plugs into). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back