iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight recommended op amps page 16. .
Apr 27, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #391 of 1,604
Thanks so much, I just noticed your other comment in the other DB2 thread.  I just bought the PB2 and liked it a lot.  I will pick up the DB2. What kind of cable do you use between the PB2 and Db2?  

Apr 27, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #393 of 1,604

Quote:
Thanks so much, I just noticed your other comment in the other DB2 thread.  I just bought the PB2 and liked it a lot.  I will pick up the DB2. What kind of cable do you use between the PB2 and Db2?  

iBasso makes one for a very reasonable cost out of good copper. I am used a Whiplash Twag V2 IC between them. 

Apr 28, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #394 of 1,604

Quote:
By chance has anyone heard the PB2 and also the uHA-120 or AHA-120 that could offer a comparison??

from Ibasso site:
"32V voltage swing, the highest voltage swing among portable Amplifiers
- Up to 2500mW output power"

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #395 of 1,604

Quote:
from Ibasso site:
"32V voltage swing, the highest voltage swing among portable Amplifiers
- Up to 2500mW output power"

Don't think that answered my question but thx for the specs.  I've seen it.

Apr 28, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #396 of 1,604
I don't remember what the output impedance is. I can check. 

It is 10 ohms. 

Apr 28, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #397 of 1,604

Quote:

Quote:
iBasso makes one for a very reasonable cost out of good copper. I am used a Whiplash Twag V2 IC between them. 

I’m planning on getting PB2 or SR71B.

iPhone > AlgoRhythm Solo (> DB2) > PB2 > LCD2
or
iPhone > AlgoRhythm Solo (> DB2) > SR71B > LCD2

What would you recommend?
Thanks

Apr 28, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #398 of 1,604

Quote:

I’m planning on getting PB2 or SR71B.

iPhone > AlgoRhythm Solo (> DB2) > PB2 > LCD2
or
iPhone > AlgoRhythm Solo (> DB2) > SR71B > LCD2

What would you recommend?
Thanks

Dan, the biggest differences between the two are price and size more so than SQ.  71b cost more but comes in a smaller case whereas PB2 is 60% of the cost and is bigger even though it will match nicely with the DB2 (exactly the same size).  To me the mid and upper mid sound a little nicer on the PB2 but the 71b has a little nicer bass.  The 71b has separate left and right channel gain switches that makes it very nice to make adjustment on the fly.  With PB2, you will have to open the case and add/remove jumpers for different gains.  I suspect the PB2 with it 2.5 wpc has a little more power than the 71b but both can drive LCD, 800 and HE6 rather nicely.

I have both setup above and you should be happy with either killer setup.  Well, I have the DB1 and getting the DB2 soon.  

Apr 28, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #399 of 1,604
Thanks! 
smile.gif

Apr 30, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #402 of 1,604

Quote:
I haven't heard the SR-71b but with how good this PB-2 is sounding with Hiflight's topkit, I'm willing to bet it sails over the SR-71b.

Thats a wild statement, friend. All 3 of my portables came from iBasso - they are the only portables I have ever owned - but I would never make a statement like that without actually hearing the competition, preferably over a period of weeks. I dont like Headfonia's reviewing style, but Mike is one of few online reviewers to directly compare the PB2 to the SR71-B and he preferred the latter : he readily admits that it was his personal preference for warmth and the RSA 'house sound' that made the difference, but there you have it. If anything, he seems to prefer the PB1 to the PB2 for outright sound quality - he reviewed both on the site.

Sonically, I would love to DBT the PB2 against the P4, single ended with modestly easy to drive cans. I realise that isnt playing the PB2s game, but it would still be an interesting excursion.

Apr 30, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #404 of 1,604
They are two different flavors, both excellent (the 71B and the PB-2). With the ability to change the op amps in the PB-2 unless a reviewer has tried a few of the op amps and some that have proved out to be very good, I don't think a reviewer or anyone has heard an amp or dac or whatever, until they have heard the different configurations. Just like tube equipment, op amps make a difference. One thing I liked about Stereophile is that they would often change out the stock tubes to get a better feel of what the piece of equipment was really capable of. Having heard the 71B and PB-2 extensively and on a continuing basis, neither to my ear is really better, just a little different. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back