iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight recommended op amps page 16. .
Dec 18, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #1,203 of 1,604
  Sorry a little off topic, where can I buy one only from Ibasso? and is the PB-3 just around the corner?
 PB2 

You can pick one up at a dealer at the same price iBasso has. I'm sure there are at least a couple of dealers who sell iBasso stuff where you live. I don't think PB3 is any close to be around the corner. At least in 2013 iBasso had no plans for PB3.

I find that PB2 still has a lot of potential, just make sure you have enough money for buying and trying more superior opamps)) If you don't plan to replace stock opamps in PB2 I would consider it a waste of money purchasing it. The same goes to using balanced output only.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #1,204 of 1,604
I do not agree that the stock op amps and buffers that come with the PB2 are a waste of money. The amp performs, IMO, very well with them. Everyone has a little different taste in what they want to hear. The PB2 has a lot of power and a nice voltage swing and there is nothing I own that it won't power and do it very well. 

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #1,206 of 1,604
  Thanks for the replies, I can't find a dealer in the US so I will probably order one from the site after the holidays.  I received my DX90 today I'm pretty impressed.

DX90 is a very nice source)) Personally I'm waiting for release of Fiio X7 in 2015 with a balanced output and ESS9018 as DAC to upgrade from my X5. Balanced source + balanced PB2 as amp + balanced headphones will be a killer combo I think. Although the price for X7 is promised to be around 700$. Already started to save money)

Dec 26, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #1,207 of 1,604
+1  

I would love to find a buffer op-amp that does not reduce the transparency - I want the transparency of a dummy buffer with the current gain of an HA5002.  (I can dream...)

For a really transparent opamp (maybe not a buffer) try some JRC2068s. Ron (hiflight) sent me some and they are so clean sounding. I was realy surprised when I started to use them.

There is something beguiling about them. There have a a real clarity and transparency. I have been listening to the Naive Vivladi editions and the music just flows like a stream of liquid glass and is as smooth as silk. Great mids and highs, but what I find surprising is that even the deeper bass notes are resolved well , which surprised me.

They are definitely worth trying.

Dec 28, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #1,208 of 1,604
Hi everyone, I just got a PB2.  Congrats to myself! 
wink_face.gif

May I ask what configuration(s) is/are recommended for HE-560 with the PB2?  I understand that high current is required for the HE-560 to sound dynamic.

Thanks!

Dec 29, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #1,209 of 1,604
I took the parcel from post today with 2xMUSES01 (from janeh2100) and 4xLT1028ACN8 (from goldy0903).

I have some doubts about LT1028ACN8 as I'm not sure whether it's genuine or not because it's kind of too sensitive to electrical currents in my PB2 and doesn't work well with some opamps due to extreme levels of interference but still you can hear that it sounds great, so it might be genuine but of a different make, who knows. Maybe they need some burn-in. We'll see. I almost ordered another 4 of them from a different seller but changed my mind as after my last insertion, the interference decreased so much that you can barely hear it with MUSES01.

Ok, since I got the chips I've been testing the following combinations for 5 hours in a row:

1. MUSES01+dummy buffers is worse than LME49990+dummy buffers. IMHO you should not use dummy buffers with MUSES01 as you feel lack of power and drive compared to LME49990+dummy buffers.
2. MUSES01+LT1010CN8 (from Ron's kit). It just doesn't work. There's audible distortion (yes, I mean sound distortion, not interference) that you can't listen to this combination. It's interesting that LME49990+LT1010CN8 does not have any distortion or interference at all, it is as quiet as graveyard at night, smooth but not as transparent as dummy buffers.
3. MUSES01+all other buffers that came with PB2. No interference or distortion of any kind at any volume levels. Works well but it does not sound well enough to satisfy my ear.

Now for the most interesting part))

4. LME49990+LT1028ACN8 doesn't work because of interference.
5. MUSES01+LT1028ACN8. My last insertion of the bufferes eliminated almost any type of interference (and I mean interference, not distortion like with LT1010CN8). Don't ask me what I did to achieve this result, I just couldn't figure this out as I've been swapping them for a hundred times maybe)). You still can hear it at 12 o'clock volume level when you pause the song but it's very very quiet. I also found the source of interference when you use LT1028ACN8 - it's external power supply. If you supply PB2 with 16V of power it's more audible when no music is being played, that's why I switched to 15V of power to decrease it. You will not hear any noises if you disconnect all sources of external power.

At first I thought my LT1028ACN8 buffers were fake but I seem to like the sound very much, so they might be genuine after all but of a different make. Maybe later, I will order another 4 from a different seller when I have more money to spend to compare.

As for the sound quality of MUSES01+LT1028ACN8 I can say that it's neutral and transparent as expected and sounds very much like LME49990+dummy buffers but seems like it's more transparent and spacious. The sound seems to me more balanced with a little less of deep soft bass than LME49990 but with more punch and more reverberation from musical instruments (including bass guitars) which makes them sound more lively and engaging.

I'll keep this combo in my PB2 for further listening but almost feel like I'll be using it for a long while since now.

If you wish to try this out please be aware the difference between LME49990+dummy buffers and MUSES01+LT1028ACN8 is not day and night, some may think it's just a little different but I almost sure it's different to better sound. The first thought that came into my head when I inserted this combo and turned on the first song is "What a nice reverberation is there from musical instruments!". So the difference might not be subtle after all but... )))

DISCLAIMER: My brain may be playing with my perception, also wishful thinking and excitement should be taken into consideration :)

PS. My setup is Fiio X5 - Black Dragon interconnect - PB2 - handmade balanced headphone cable - Beyerdynamic DT150 (250 Ohm) headphones. PB2 is powered by 15V by Energizer XP8000.

PS2 I'm not the first one to say but MUSES01 have extremely bendy legs. I almost killed one of them so take extra caution messing with them.

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #1,210 of 1,604
^ That's a very credible summary, stillevil - thank you!

I really like how cautious and moderate you are in describing what you hear.

I've heard of other op-amps that are sensitive to PSU noise, so I always use portable gear with external or internal battery power. The Energizer XP8000 with the Willy Cable WI15 (inline voltage regulator) have been used by a lot of Meier Stepdance owners, as you know, but for the sake of other readers here, I want to point out that it has always been described as a completely noise-free external power source - obviously better than the switch-mode PSU, the likes of which we see with a lot of audio gear.

Your Muses 01 account leaves me still curious, but has reduced the likelihood that I will ever buy them (for which I'm grateful - again, because I find you to be so credible.) I need a more dramatic distinction from the LME49990 to warrant spending $150 for a pair of Muses 01. :wink:

Thanks,

Mike

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #1,211 of 1,604
I'd like to note mostly for other forum members that 2xMUSES01 cost $150 only if you buy them from official website or source. This is the price you have to pay if you want to make sure it is 100% genuine. Chinese guys have their own shady ways to obtain the same opamps from factories that produce genuine MUSES01 which results in half the price on ebay. They do this all the time with much more costly equipment and sell for half the price at gray market, I know :wink: The risk to buy fake goods increases of course but you can use google at least to check the seller.

I bought mine for half the price about $40 each. Anyway I would not pay $150 out of curiosity for MUSES) but 80$ is more affordable.

Dec 29, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #1,212 of 1,604
The rest of the time today I spent comparing LME49990+dummy buffers and MUSES01+LT1028ACN8 with different music genres: Rock, Classic Rock, Heavy Metal, Atmospheric Black Metal, Black Metal, Dark Metal, Death Metal, Doom Metal, Gothic Metal, Instrumental, Jazz, Pop-Rock and Synth-Pop.

I can make some conclusions now based on what I heard.

LME49990+dummy buffers sound very lively - the music has drive, punch and seems more forwardy sacraficing transparency and spaciousness (if we compare it to Corda Quickstep/Stepdance amp or Muses01 opamp) which is welcomed by many metal and rock heads. This combo goes nice with rock and heavy metal music or when you are in the mood to have some drive. The downside is that it causes fatigue in the long run. It seems to me that it is not neutral but slightly coloured going into lows thus making it appealing to most listeners.

MUSES01+LT1028ACN8 are more transparent and crystal than LME49990+dummy buffers although with less bass punch. I consider it balanced and neutral sounding. It deals better with music that needs space and where highs should not be outperformed by lows nor lows outperformed by highs keeping everything in balance. It's less fatiguing to listening to jazz (like Ahmad Jamal Trio) because the cello does not make as much pressure to ears as with the other combo. Or, e.g. if we take black metal and take the song Puritania by Dimmu Borgir. There's tons of drums which you don't want to be prevailing all the time because you will get tired very quickly so listening to the recording with muses01 you feel perfect balance between the drums, guitars and vocals. Let's take Depressive Suicidal or Atmospheric Black Metal anything from Woods of Desolation/Thranenkind/Annorkoth etc. Listening to this genre you don't need drive, it is very very sad music you need balance between guitars and vocals without running too much into lows and leaving whether they are which is a perfect genre for Muses as well.

I can go on and enumerate examples from other genres but the key here is that Muses01 make it all balanced. Many of you have heard recordings which have so many lows that you can't listen to them for long. Muses don't emphasize lows and leave them as is, like it was intended.

The more I listen to them the more I think this is the true neutral and uncoloured sound with straight EQ line.

So both opamps are worthy. It's all about listener's preference in the end.

Dec 29, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #1,213 of 1,604
The PB2 is a great testing device, and listening as well. I have found that it really changes with what you put in it. Seems to hold up well to the test of time. So many choices on op amps now. stillevil, thanks for your insight. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back