iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight recommended op amps page 16. .
Feb 17, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #1,051 of 1,604
Ebay seller frugalphile also offers duals:   http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190999739495

It's really two singles mounted on one PCB - with one on top and the other underneath.

The PB2 can use either four (4) singles or two (2) duals in L/R, but if you want to try them as buffers you'll need to get four (4) singles.

I've made several transactions with frugalphile and have no complaints at all - his soldering is really clean, too.

Mike

Feb 17, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #1,052 of 1,604
By the way, the 2x Muses02 that I ordered from Mouser.com (now in stock) came on a little strip of foam packing, inside a zip-loc bag, packed loosely in an over-sized box for shipping.

See:  http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NJR/MUSES02/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduiBH%2f%2fkpIrdkJVU%252b1ReE4c5hUkfZAV1m%2fo%3d

No harm done, but I'm pointing out that Mouser.com did not include the nice jewel boxes that SpudHarris has received when ordering Muses01 and Muses02 from the "official e-bay seller for Audiotrak, Gyrocom":

See:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIOTRAK-MUSES-02-OPAMP-High-Quality-sound-bipolar-input-dual-oerational-amp-/111080427256

And:  http://www.head-fi.org/t/432749/the-opamp-thread/4620#post_10189334

Mike 

Feb 21, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #1,053 of 1,604
After much deliberation and reading of both this and the Opamp threads - thanks all - I have decided on my OP Amp rolling path for the PB2.

1. Lme49990 OPamps x 4 bought off a reputable EBay seller - they have arrived in the UK from the US and awaiting delivery from Customs.
2. MUSES02 X2 awaiting stock (expected any day now)
3. Topflight kit bespoked by Ron in view of the above choices. Ha5002 buffers x4 , plus 4x single Opamp class A adaptors and plus 2x dual Opamp class A adaptors.

I already have two OPA627s, so I suspect I may be tempted to buy 2 more to try them out as well in due course but I want to try the Lme4990 & Ha5002 combination, also a MUSES choice and then to see if Class A biasing makes much of difference.

Reviews to follow when they have arrived.

OK the LME49990s have arrived and I have now had time to review them. First of all, just to confirm that they were packaged well etc., so the seller is certainly to be recommended.

They are very musical. They have a clear, lively sound with a seemingly transparent approach. So the detail is there but not too bright, harsh or shrill though. They seem to bring out the musical quality of the DX50. I can understand why others seem to like them.

They play well across the musical spectrum of heavy rock, prog rock & classical - they are a keeper.

My MUSES02 are about to be sent to me and also I am being allowed a couple of 01s to try as well. Excited or what.

[ now playing - Ritual by Nemrud ]

Feb 24, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #1,055 of 1,604
My additional Muses 01/02 arrived today, damn you Parcel Farce! Had to pay another £35 for customs and VAT. £35 for 2 OpAmps is a fair amount but that's just additional cost :rolleyes:

That said, they are absolutely worth the money. Believe me these are end game OpAmps. In the PB2 I am preferring the 01 (sorry Mike) but to be truthful I need more time with each to offer a solid comparison, it could be a combination of San Miguel and Music Choice but at the moment I just want to keep listening with the 01. In other amps I have to say the 02 was my favourite but give me a week or so and I should be able to offer some comparisons.

Either way the 01 and 02 are world class....

Feb 24, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #1,056 of 1,604
Just be careful of the legs when you take them out. They bend easily and a few times would be enough, if bent far enough, to snap them off. Nice soft copper. No other op-amp I know of used copper like this, very nice. 

Feb 25, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #1,057 of 1,604
  Just be careful of the legs when you take them out. They bend easily and a few times would be enough, if bent far enough, to snap them off. Nice soft copper. No other op-amp I know of used copper like this, very nice. 

Thanks John for the tip. I figured this and for the purpose of evaluation I have stuck them all in DIP sockets. Have you tried the 01 in your Fi-Q? 

Feb 25, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #1,058 of 1,604
Thanks John for the tip. I figured this and for the purpose of evaluation I have stuck them all in DIP sockets. Have you tried the 01 in your Fi-Q? 

Does it matter which ones you use? They seem dirt cheap on Amazon - so can I order any?

Feb 25, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #1,059 of 1,604
My additional Muses 01/02 arrived today, damn you Parcel Farce! Had to pay another £35 for customs and VAT. £35 for 2 OpAmps is a fair amount but that's just additional cost
rolleyes.gif

That said, they are absolutely worth the money. Believe me these are end game OpAmps. In the PB2 I am preferring the 01 (sorry Mike) but to be truthful I need more time with each to offer a solid comparison, it could be a combination of San Miguel and Music Choice but at the moment I just want to keep listening with the 01. In other amps I have to say the 02 was my favourite but give me a week or so and I should be able to offer some comparisons.

Either way the 01 and 02 are world class....

My only reason for putting Muses02 in the PB2 was to see if they could warm the HD800 - and they do.  From what I've read, I wouldn't prefer the Muses01 for that task, but I strongly suspect I would prefer the Muses01 with the LCD-2 - where I get all the color I want from the headphone itself, preferring a neutral DAC and amp.

With Muses02 in L/R, I'm still rolling buffers. Uggh!  Life goes on hold when I take the lid off my PB2.  
redface.gif

Mike

Feb 25, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #1,060 of 1,604
My only reason for putting Muses02 in the PB2 was to see if they could warm the HD800 - and they do.  From what I've read, I wouldn't prefer the Muses01 for that task, but I strongly suspect I would prefer the Muses01 with the LCD-2 - where I get all the color I want from the headphone itself, preferring a neutral DAC and amp.

With Muses02 in L/R, I'm still rolling buffers. Uggh!  Life goes on hold when I take the lid off my PB2.  :xf_eek:

Mike

Understood and you are absolutely right, my experience with the 01 has only been with the LCD2/3. Will have to do a bit more rolling to see the effect the 02 has on the HD800 :rolleyes:

Darn it, no sleep again tonight! :angry_face:

Feb 25, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #1,061 of 1,604
Does it matter which ones you use? They seem dirt cheap on Amazon - so can I order any?

Are you referring to Muses or DIP sockets?

If DIP sockets? I don't think it makes a great deal of difference, I personally go for gold plated. When I find a permanent home for the Muses I will install without additional DIP sockets, just trying to reduce risk whilst evaluating....

Feb 25, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #1,063 of 1,604

I have tried them and they sound good but haven't taken the time to compare the 01 and 02 for sound difference. The 02 seems to be a little more transparent but need more time. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #1,064 of 1,604
Are you referring to Muses or DIP sockets?

If DIP sockets? I don't think it makes a great deal of difference, I personally go for gold plated. When I find a permanent home for the Muses I will install without additional DIP sockets, just trying to reduce risk whilst evaluating....

Yes I was referring to DIP Sockets. If you have a link to your gold plated ones that would be helpful.

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #1,065 of 1,604
  [snip]

With Muses02 in L/R, I'm still rolling buffers. Uggh!  Life goes on hold when I take the lid off my PB2.  
redface.gif

Mike

Across several sessions, and a whole lot of time this weekend, I've concluded that the Muses02 sounds best with dummy buffers (in the PB2).  

That seems to be my preference for every op-amp in L/R - using them with dummy buffers.  :)  

The best op-amp (other than dummy buffers) that I heard with the Muses02 in L/R was using LME49990 as buffers (from among my modest collection), but as usual, there's a loss of transparency and resolution.  And since I'm trying to use the Muses02 with the HD800, I prefer the cleaner sound of dummy buffers.

I also did a lot of A/B (as fast as I could) between Muses02 and LME49990 in L/R (both with dummy buffers).  Conclusion:  I prefer the Muses02 with HD800, but the more neutral LME49990 with LCD-2 rev.1 - balanced out in both cases.  Try as I might, I can't ignore the fact that the Muses02 is expensive.  I'm not sure I'd recommend it over the LME49990 for anything other than "cold" sounding headphones, like the HD800, AKG K550, T1, etc. - that do better with tubes.  The LME49990 is still king of the hill for my LCD-2 rev.1, as the headphone itself gives me all the color I want.  YMMV

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back