iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight recommended op amps page 16. .
Jan 29, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #151 of 1,604

Quote:
Wow, Ron, can you really tell the difference between those opamps and their characteristics?  That's amazing.  Looking forward to more impressions.  Great job.

Yeah, I trust Ron's more than my own. lol   He really works at it and takes it very serious. Hopefully he is having fun at the same time but it can get tedious. 

Jan 29, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #152 of 1,604

Quote:

Quote:
Wow, Ron, can you really tell the difference between those opamps and their characteristics?  That's amazing.  Looking forward to more impressions.  Great job.

Yeah, I trust Ron's more than my own. lol   He really works at it and takes it very serious. Hopefully he is having fun at the same time but it can get tedious. 

Comparing opamps is tedious and not for those who want instant results.  It always takes me a long time to begin to recognize those usually minor differences.  I agree that Ron seems to have the ear and patience for it.

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #153 of 1,604
is there any desktop amp in this price range, balanced or se, that can compete with these new powerful portables?

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #155 of 1,604

Quote:
@ jamato8, Would really like to hear what you think between the 71B and the PB2, I have the PB2 ordered but it won't ship till the 8th when ibasso get back from holiday but just wanted to know if it's really worth also ordering the 71B.

I second that request from anyone.  Hehehe, Parrots, with your cable and IEMs inventory, you could have easily sell one of the Picollino cable and get both PB2 and SR71b and listen for yourself and everyone here.

Feb 2, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #156 of 1,604
Where did you get the piccolino from.  I can't believe you have piccolino in, hp cable, adaptor etc.  That is wild.  When you get you PB2, can you tell me if it is a quiet amp?  Thanks.

Feb 3, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #157 of 1,604
actually I meant in the price range of $325 - which is PB2, and PB1 is even lesser. Sorry for not being clear. I meant these [PB1/ PB2], and not sr71b as it is $650.
I am actually torn between spending $325 on a balanced portable, or look for a balanced desktop amp, that is in this price range. But I sure want to try the balanced stuff.

Quote:
That depends on your qualifications for competing...

If you count the sr71b in your price range then almost certainly, by any qualifications excluding size.

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #158 of 1,604

Quote:
actually I meant in the price range of $325 - which is PB2, and PB1 is even lesser. Sorry for not being clear. I meant these [PB1/ PB2], and not sr71b as it is $650.
I am actually torn between spending $325 on a balanced portable, or look for a balanced desktop amp, that is in this price range. But I sure want to try the balanced stuff.

Quote:

If you count the sr71b in your price range then almost certainly, by any qualifications excluding size.

balanced desktop in the 300$ range? 

Feb 3, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #159 of 1,604

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

balanced desktop in the 300$ range? 

Yeah you can probably get some single ended desktops in the 300$ range that can compete but it would be difficult to buy a 300$ balanced desktop amp.  You could diy a balanced desktop amp in the $300 range though if you don't mind shoddy casing.  I dunno a balanced a20 or something could probably be made for < 325$.

Feb 3, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #160 of 1,604
The PB2 plus DB1 plus Hirose adapters (balanced IC and XLR-4) come out to $625...  The Audio-gd NFB-10WM is $780 and is fully balanced, more powerful, fully discrete, and contains dual DACs (like the more expensive DB2 presumably will).  If I had to get one setup it would be the Audio-gd...

Drew

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #161 of 1,604

Quote:
The PB2 plus DB1 plus Hirose adapters (balanced IC and XLR-4) come out to $625...  The Audio-gd NFB-10WM is $780 and is fully balanced, more powerful, fully discrete, and contains dual DACs (like the more expensive DB2 presumably will).  If I had to get one setup it would be the Audio-gd...

Drew

Wow, the NFB-10WM is portable? Great. If not then comparison to other non portables seems appropriate of which there are many and many that are very powerful, if that is what is required. If you want to go fully balanced and the NFB-10WM is a home unit then there are choices of tube amps and dacs, solid state and the varieties and price range are huge. 

Feb 3, 2011 at 9:16 PM Post #162 of 1,604
Wow, the NFB-10WM is portable? 

No, it's not.  I was responding to the question "is there any desktop amp in this price range, balanced or se, that can compete with these new powerful portables?".  Since the price is comparable I thought it was worth mentioning (I own the PB2 by the way, waiting for the DB2). 

Drew

Feb 3, 2011 at 11:16 PM Post #163 of 1,604

Quote:

No, it's not.  I was responding to the question "is there any desktop amp in this price range, balanced or se, that can compete with these new powerful portables?".  Since the price is comparable I thought it was worth mentioning (I own the PB2 by the way, waiting for the DB2). 

Drew

Ah, I see. Well it does look interesting. There seems to be a lot on the market that offers pretty good bang for the buck. I look forward to a review of the unit but maybe I should search over on desk top units. Thanks for bringing it up. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #164 of 1,604
Feb 7, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #165 of 1,604

Thanks. have started a thread here - http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/538209/balanced-desktop-amps-vs-balanced-portable-amps#post_7256248
Lot of views but no comments.
Quote:
Quote:

Drew

Ah, I see. Well it does look interesting. There seems to be a lot on the market that offers pretty good bang for the buck. I look forward to a review of the unit but maybe I should search over on desk top units. Thanks for bringing it up. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back