iBasso p4 & my dt 990 600 ohms
Mar 21, 2012 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

hauntedsounds

New Head-Fier
So I was looking for a portable amp that might be able to stand a chance against powering a pair of 600 ohm headphones. From what I gathered ,although intimidating at first, dt 990s are not as hard to drive as one might expect. Well, the amp I was using at the time, the fiio e11, would do a passable job but only if I maxed out the volume. Not very good considering it's a portable amp that's battery is nothing to write home about on top of it's inability to function while charging. I figured the p4 might be the portable option I was looking for. 

Well, I just received it today and refused to use them until they were fully charged + 2hrs to insure the battery was at 100% (despite already knowing I was going to use it while plugged into the wall). Unfortunately, from what I can tell these don't do any better a job amping dt990s than the e11; still have to crank the volume to the max, and even then I wouldn't even consider the music is truly loud (unless it was produced within the last decade)

Kinda disappointed simply because I am totally in love with the dt 990s, but really not surprised since I read plenty of posts advising against ever considering powering high impedance headphones with a portable amp.

I would like to know if anyone has any contrasting experiences or suggestions they could offer.

Side note - Probably going to buy the HD598s and wait for next paycheck to buy a valhalla.

Edit- Not surprising, these make my grado 225is come alive (especially compared to the e11). Immediately noticeable is the soundstage difference and a more punchy sound especially from percussion.

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 4
You probably need a more powerful desktop amp that uses AC power, not a portable running off a battery to truly push 600 ohm cans.  You can sell your P4 easily on the forum for most/nearly all your purchase price, then look in the full-size amp section for suggestions.

Mar 22, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #4 of 4
I have the iBasso P3+, and I'm pretty sure that it functions the same as far as this goes:

Did you check to see if you were in the high gain setting, which you'll need for difficult to drive headphones?

Unfortunately iBasso doesn't have an external switch to change this setting and you have to open the case and re-position jumpers.  If you didn't switch into high-gain mode the unit is probably in low gain mode as that's the way they ship.  I'd be surprised if this is not the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back