Ibasso P3+ Heron in comparison to tier 1 port. amps (pico, mustang)
Dec 21, 2009 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

gideonMorrison

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm starting this rather specific topic, since I haven't found the answers to this comparison, yet.
I know that the P3+ is relative to the opamps etc used, but I'm sure one could still compare this amp to the tier 1 amps. Anyone want to share their ideas? I'm about to pull the trigger on this one and want to make the right decision!

Cheers,

Gideon
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 13
I would actually think that if you were comparing amp sections only that the D4 would come out the loser. the P3+ allows greater choice of opamps and buffers. it also does not have to share power with the DAC section. (actually since the D4 is usb only perhaps it draws from USB for the DAC)

sorry OP, I dont have any real experience with the P3 specifically, but my experience with ibasso products in general is right up there. I sold my pico when I got my D10.
with the right opamp choices the P3+ should match or exceed many top tier portables; it has enough juice to drive many of the highest quality chips around

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #8 of 13
For a top-performing portable that has superb components as well as circuit design, the P3+ is hard to beat. The ablility to roll opamps in the LR/buffer/ground channel sockets add to the flexibility to customize the amp to ones personal and equipment preferences.

It has the ability to drive nearly any dynamic phone to a reasonable listening level.

As it can be operated with an external power supply, it can, in effect, act as ones desktop amp as well as a portable. Given the supply voltage, it can use nearly all the high-quality audiophile-grade opamps.

Hope these observations are of some help in making your decision!

Ron

Dec 22, 2009 at 10:51 AM Post #9 of 13
Thanks Qusp and HiFlight, for some great input!

Though HiFlight, since you've mentioned that they have enough juice to power almost any can to a reasonable level, what about the sound quality?

Because it is possible, as Qusp mentioned, to tweak it to your liking. So one can truly match/exceed the competition in the SQ department as well? Let's say the RSA Mustang or Pico?

Cheers and thanks again!
L3000.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gideonMorrison /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else? HiFlight?
wink.gif

I have not heard the pico or mustang, so cannot compare them to the P3+, but it is, without doubt, one of the top portable amps available. The SQ is excellent even when driving more inefficient cans. If one uses BUF634 in the buffer sockets, it outputs as much or more driving power than anything else I have seen.

I mostly use mine as my bedside amp, with the a/c adapter powering it. That way, battery life with some of my more power-hungry opamp configurations is not a factor.

My P3+ drives my AKG K-340s to a much higher volume than I care to listen. Very few portables can drive these phones to a reasonable listening level, as they are VERY inefficient.

Not only can the amp effortlessly drive these phones, the SQ is superb!

Ron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back