iBasso OEM Project
Feb 6, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #481 of 497
Some of it is done and will help with getting rid of ripple and some other noise. Waiting on Ryuzoh.

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:40 PM Post #482 of 497
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudHarris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that you avin' a dig at me again, the cheeky B%*stard?
tongue.gif

Seriously though, this amp in it's basic form is a top home amp let alone having the flexibility to be portable and tweakable to suit.

Have our adapters arrived yet? just ordered another 2 AD825's and AD797b's for messing about. Can you give me some advice on cap values?

HA, no Nigel it wasnt, man I have conditioned you into thinking i'm having fun with you all the time, you know i'm usually a bit more obvious than that??

no the adapters havent arrived yet, they probably wont be here till late this week I imagine, he only actually shipped them on thursday I think, they might get here sooner, but dont count on it. regarding cap values, I was thinking I might include a little cap rolling kit for you with some localized reservoir caps and a few different values of decoupling. i'm using a combination of 2, .22 and .022uf with 797ARZ, but the good old arbitrary 100nf/10nf (0.1uf/0.01uf) organic polymer actually works pretty well too. I dont have a proper scope to get the measurements needed to pick out the noise and squash it, so i'm just going by ear and recommendations till I do. the datasheet for AD797 recommends between 1-4.7uft tantalum and .1-.47 SMD ceramic for our voltage range and purpose, with ~30pf from the output to the inverting input in parallel with 100R. i'll put some printouts of schematics in with the adapters and caps. i'll put a couple of WIMA films in there too, just small ones that you might try instead of the ceramic. but I think you'll find the ceramic is best as long as its a decent one. i'll put a few of them in to. will put a little kit together.

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #483 of 497
You sir are a gentleman, I don't care what they all say about you behind your back I recon you're alright hehe.

Yeah, unfortunately you have me looking for subtle pi%*takes all the time now but you are a funny guy so as long as I'm smiling it's all good. I thought that was a little too subtle even for you....

I'm tracking down the black gates for my mod so I'll be rocking and rolling if they ever get back to me. Thought I'd get a few NX 47uf 6.3v also as someone said these are ok for an imod cable, what do you think?

Waiting with baited breath for another qusp like barrage of suble pi%*taking abuse. Bring it on!!

Feb 8, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #484 of 497
Quote:

You sir are a gentleman, I don't care what they all say about you behind your back I recon you're alright hehe.

who?? saay hoo?? poin'em'owtoome, aahhll'av'em!!! aahhll'av'em'ayytell'yeh!!

bat-1.jpg

Quote:

Yeah, unfortunately you have me looking for subtle pi%*takes all the time now but you are a funny guy so as long as I'm smiling it's all good. I thought that was a little too subtle even for you....

for sure, the moment you stop smiling is the moment I stop, but to be honest that last post has me thinking i'll give it a rest for a bit. people often take me far too seriously. its usually pretty obvious when i'm dead serious. I know you dont, but at the same time if thats whats going on i'll leave it out, at least for now
tongue.gif
ahh who am I kidding

Quote:

I'm tracking down the black gates for my mod so I'll be rocking and rolling if they ever get back to me. Thought I'd get a few NX 47uf 6.3v also as someone said these are ok for an imod cable, what do you think?

perfectly fine, good choice even, but depending on what mini you use and what wire (thin enough to make a 6 wire LOD) you could even add some small bypass caps in there, even use 22uf BG, there is zero need to go any higher IMO, certainly not with a 10K pot. only 10uf is needed to go all the way down, if you use 22uf you'll have room for a couple of wimas, vishay films or even silver mica, right there in the LOD housing just to add a bit more air and if 1-2uf is used some nice upper midrange. of course Jon will say use a smaller BG in super E with the BG

Quote:

Waiting with baited breath for another qusp like barrage of suble pi%*taking abuse. Bring it on!!

heres a surprise.........

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #485 of 497
I have used the 47uf 6.3 in Super E directly in the signal path and they are very transparent, small and do a fine job and when in Super E, no bypass is really needed. I have an iRiver modified with them and one with some very good SMD caps and the BG version has a bit better bass. I use them in Super E in my Monica II dac in the signal path as film would no longer have my Monica II portable and again I have tested BG's against very very expensive caps and they really do a fine job, when implemented correctly.

The 47uf 6.3 are still available so I would grab some while available just to have them. I know Jeremy has stocked up. :^)

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #486 of 497
They are available at the source you put me onto John. They are deffo ripping me off with carriage to uk though.... $32 for a handfull of caps via USPS and not even all the ones I needed either, man I wish I could get them local.

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #487 of 497
Quote:

They are available at the source you put me onto John. They are deffo ripping me off with carriage to uk though.... $32 for a handfull of caps via USPS and not even all the ones I needed either, man I wish I could get them local.

Did you already buy the stuff? You should have contacted me and I could have gotten them and then posted them to you.

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #488 of 497
We need a deleted post option.

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #489 of 497
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you already buy the stuff? You should have contacted me and I could have gotten them and then posted them to you.

I only have the quote at the moment, been sitting on it contemplating the standard maxxing option as getting these are beginning to get me down.

If you would do that John I would be eternally gratefull. I'll e-mail you.

Cheers.

Feb 9, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #491 of 497
jon, i'm thinking the barrage about to come via PM may make you wish you had kept your access to a source to PM
wink.gif

so can I get in on this too? I need some large FK and N for some power supplies
biggrin.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #492 of 497
Michael Percy in California has some values and is worth downloading his catalogue. Everyone else has or is running out of these.

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:06 AM Post #493 of 497
I guess I should order mine before ya'all gobble them up...

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #494 of 497
yeah i've been dealing with michael for a while. he has some but not all values you are correct. he has some good prices on pots too and some nice teflons. I suppose I better shoot him an email before theyre gone. as much as I like other caps for somethings, the BG sure are very good and unbeaten for some as well. plus they have an almost mythical appeal to the public

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #495 of 497
Come on now, I picked up two pairs of headphones (Senn HD580 and AKG K701) from the FS forum last week and need an amp to power them!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back