iBasso IT01 a fun IEM. Single multilayered graphene driver. !! 99 USD !!
Mar 2, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #2,941 of 3,079
Wide bore eliminates that and feels bass shy..

Interesting. That's not my experience at all. I use the supplied large wide bore silicone tips and the bass is way way better than with any other of the supplied tips, it's not even close.

Mar 2, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #2,942 of 3,079
Interesting. That's not my experience at all. I use the supplied large wide bore silicone tips and the bass is way way better than with any other of the supplied tips, it's not even close.
Wide bore reduces the amount of bass decay, turning the mid bass attack stronger.

Narrow bore makes bass muddy as compression decay happens

Mar 2, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #2,944 of 3,079
I`m with dhruvmeena96 on this one. Wide bore tips make IT01 bass sound more tighter and less "boomy"(decayed). Removing also nozzle grill makes them even more balanced sounding and pretty crazy detailed without any harshness/sibilance.
Even more advanced tuning method is to regulate IT01 driver back venting pressure&reflection.

Mar 8, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #2,946 of 3,079
Just to add my 2 cents to this 'tips vs bass on IT01' discussion.. :)

Following up on some existing points above, due to everyone's different ear anatomies, we can only make generalisations concerning how a specific tip will change the sound of an IEM.
*Generally* the Symbio will have a certain and mechanically predictable effect upon a sound signature.
However, if someone uses a size that's too big or small, or simply can't get a good seal either way, then this is probably going to account for some pretty big differences in how people describe the way in which they affect the sound signature :)

Personally, I have found I can use all 3 sizes of Symbio W, each offering differing depths of insertion but maintaining a decent seal.
Like Goldilocks, I've settled on the (happy) medium :p

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #2,947 of 3,079
Has anyone used aet08 tips on these?
So far, I'm not too satisfied with the sound of these :frowning2:
Maybe it's because I am not used to the sound of IEM (I have been using headphones for 10+ years)
These sound a little muffled and congested. Would burn-in help the sound? any ear tip recommendations?
Any alternative under $200 option for my taste? (I listen to a lot of acoustic and male/female vocals. I am not a basshead and prefer the brighter sounding audio gears. I love how my hifiman sundara's sound.)

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #2,948 of 3,079
WP_20190310_13_39_57_Pro.jpg
@Slater Following slater's recommendation to remove the nozzle grill, I did so with much hesitation.
I removed the grill with its nylon mesh and I think it slightly sounded better in terms of clarity. The side I left alone had this sort of "bloom" effect.

I replaced the grill after removing the nylon mesh because I like the idea of protecting the insides somehow. I don't hear any problems with shrieking or anything, and I think it might be an improvement.
I also believe I could replace the nylon mesh easily.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #2,949 of 3,079
See @CoiL profile pic on head fi

See his iBasso mod

Can't find any measurements there... If the change were as pronounced as you claim, a measurement device should show a significant difference compared to stock.
Given that nowadays they use model heads with molded "ears" to do the measurements, it should be easily possible to compare different ear tips and mods to the outer housings of the IEMs.

Mar 10, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #2,950 of 3,079
Can't find any measurements there... If the change were as pronounced as you claim, a measurement device should show a significant difference compared to stock.
Given that nowadays they use model heads with molded "ears" to do the measurements, it should be easily possible to compare different ear tips and mods to the outer housings of the IEMs.
I will do measurements when I get my Dayton iMM-6 :wink:
@Slater Following slater's recommendation to remove the nozzle grill, I did so with much hesitation.
I removed the grill with its nylon mesh and I think it slightly sounded better in terms of clarity. The side I left alone had this sort of "bloom" effect.
I replaced the grill after removing the nylon mesh because I like the idea of protecting the insides somehow. I don't hear any problems with shrieking or anything, and I think it might be an improvement.
I also believe I could replace the nylon mesh easily.
I just use them without any grills as I think it provides best improvement in micro-details and clarity and along with other mods making it more neutral-balanced as mids become more revealed.
If You use nylon mesh, my recommendation is to use thinnest and most "air-passable" mesh.
Btw, not trying to ego-trip here... but I recommended this to Slater :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #2,951 of 3,079
Ok...help me out here, is this the IT01 that everyone loves or is it the “s” version? I have no problem modding if this is the ibasso IT01 that sounds great.

$99 is easier to save than $199 and easier to spend on something I’ve never heard.
Coil your mods on these are the key, can you direct me to the webpage or post that shows them?

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #2,952 of 3,079
This is regular original IT01 thread. For IT01S there is another thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/it01s-iem-a-new-view-to-your-music.894073/page-38
There is no "key" with my mods:
1) just and fully-open nozzle
2) just custom open backplates with pressure/air movement and reflection regulating flat-ended "piston" right above back driver vent at certain distance and with certain width and with certain angle (perpendicular to backplate inner surface and attached to it).

You could improve bass response and quantity also by opening shells and restricting airflow with other materials but "hardwood piston" makes slight difference to highs reflection and "air" to my ears (who knows, it might be pseudo).

I was thinking about writing full-guide pdf for everyone but after spending my time with Kanas Pro, I ditched that plan. Though, I started to make a little 3D sketch for @Slater but haven`t finished it, too busy at work and personal life. Will post it here too when I finish. Got to find my sketch papers also with all the fine-measurements at my work (I had to move my desk). By memory piston width was about 3mm and distance/length from backplate inner side (flat) was about 2.8mm. The closer You take it to driver vent, less the bass quantity and tighter it gets.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #2,953 of 3,079
The left side on mine has become what I would describe as muted. I see no signs of wax being a problem, the connectors are still solid and have only been carefully removed twice - any suggestions please?

Mar 11, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #2,954 of 3,079
The left side on mine has become what I would describe as muted. I see no signs of wax being a problem, the connectors are still solid and have only been carefully removed twice - any suggestions please?
I would try something like a tooth brush, preferably one you aren't using any longer. :^) Or someone else's. 95% or more of the time it is something in the grill that is decreasing the sound.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back