iBasso IT01 a fun IEM. Single multilayered graphene driver. !! 99 USD !!
Jun 2, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #2,191 of 3,079
Hmmm... interesting. Wide bore tips should not give You more bass - rather more details in mids/highs and little more balanced sound.
But our ears are different and what I`ve noticed is that ppl who using L size tips, their impressions differ from ppl using S size tips. Probably due to larger "chamber" in ear-canal. That could also cause "more bass" maybe.

Yep, I went from the stock medium tips to the largest size wide bore tips.

I do hear more detail and I notice more bass presence as well. It is the dominating feature of these IEMs after all. Not surprised when you increase the opening that you hear more of it. Same thing happened to my MD+ when I went from stock medium stocks tips to those double layered large wide bore tips. Sound just expanded and since the MD+ is tuned with the bass boost, it became more noticeable for me as well.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #2,192 of 3,079
Gave up on this. The best tip for me was the ones that came on it as with a deep fit it provided me with some very tasty bass. BUT it keeps falling out. I've tried a hundred other tips from a wide array of IEMs but to no avail... well in regards to getting the same sound. Put them up on eBay uk hopefully someone else will find them a good home

Jun 3, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #2,193 of 3,079
So, my cable has failed. Well, specifically the left channel MMCX connector. It appears the small pin that inserts in to the actual IEM has broken off. Should I contact iBasso, or Penon?

Jun 3, 2018 at 1:22 AM Post #2,194 of 3,079
So, my cable has failed. Well, specifically the left channel MMCX connector. It appears the small pin that inserts in to the actual IEM has broken off. Should I contact iBasso, or Penon?

You will have to contact Penon. My CB13 cable broke recently and I had to send the cable back to them. Just send an e-mail to them via replying the e-mail they sent you when they shipped it. (at least that is what I did)

Jun 3, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #2,195 of 3,079
It's a very tight fit, I swapped once to a balanced cable, after changing back to the stock cable I've been afraid to try again.

Jun 4, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #2,197 of 3,079
Yep, I went from the stock medium tips to the largest size wide bore tips.

I do hear more detail and I notice more bass presence as well. It is the dominating feature of these IEMs after all. Not surprised when you increase the opening that you hear more of it. Same thing happened to my MD+ when I went from stock medium stocks tips to those double layered large wide bore tips. Sound just expanded and since the MD+ is tuned with the bass boost, it became more noticeable for me as well.

Well, actually in most cases increasing nozzle or tip size makes IEM more "balanced". You can try if You bother - put some small diameter opening tips and You should immediately notice bass "boost". It s due to air movement becoming "restricted" and more "pressure". In hybrid configurations it is easily noticeable IEM becoming more V-shaped (especially when BA is in front of DD in nozzle).

Anyway, I do not think going to wider bore tips with IT01 makes it more "bassy", rather little more balanced and detailed.
But as I said before, our ear shapes and tip sizes differ, giving different results.

Btw, after some listening with mods, I decided to still try some more things due to mid-bass becoming slightly much for my ears. Have to find "golden-point" with my mod. Current config reduced low-bass but made mid-bass little too prominent (but damn fast and punchy ;P).

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #2,198 of 3,079
Well, actually in most cases increasing nozzle or tip size makes IEM more "balanced". You can try if You bother - put some small diameter opening tips and You should immediately notice bass "boost". It s due to air movement becoming "restricted" and more "pressure". In hybrid configurations it is easily noticeable IEM becoming more V-shaped (especially when BA is in front of DD in nozzle).

Anyway, I do not think going to wider bore tips with IT01 makes it more "bassy", rather little more balanced and detailed.
But as I said before, our ear shapes and tip sizes differ, giving different results.

Btw, after some listening with mods, I decided to still try some more things due to mid-bass becoming slightly much for my ears. Have to find "golden-point" with my mod. Current config reduced low-bass but made mid-bass little too prominent (but damn fast and punchy ;P).

You know what, I think it might be the seal too :) Small diameter (and smaller size tip) = weaker seal = more external air and sound come in = weaker bass. Bigger diameter (and bigger size tip) = tighter seal = more bass haha. When I went from medium -> large, my seal improved (air tight) which probably let it to the supposive “bass” boost. Also, it does sound more balanced. Your conclusions are probably correct if small and large diameter tips both gave an equally good seal. You are correct it depends on the ear shapes I think.

What I can try is small diameter + big tip vs. wide bore + big tip. Much more fair comparison.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #2,199 of 3,079
...it might be the seal too. Small diameter (and smaller size tip) = weaker seal = more external air and sound come in = weaker bass.
What You are describing is just wrong size tip choice.
That is definitely 100% not the case with my ears and IT01. I`m having perfect fit with Auvio S size and deep insertion, no movement or air leak (from tip).
I have small ears and ear-canals and prefer deep insertion (snug and tight fit).

And just to be sure that we are not misunderstanding eachother - I`m talking about tip opening (barrel) hole size not whole tip size itself.

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #2,200 of 3,079
I think I got it now :ksc75smile:

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #2,201 of 3,079
What You are describing is just wrong size tip choice.
That is definitely 100% not the case with my ears and IT01. I`m having perfect fit with Auvio S size and deep insertion, no movement or air leak (from tip).
I have small ears and ear-canals and prefer deep insertion (snug and tight fit).

And just to be sure that we are not misunderstanding eachother - I`m talking about tip opening (barrel) hole size not whole tip size itself.

Yep, I mentioned that in my last paragraph. I said I inadvertently achieved a better seal with larger size tips with the wider bores, hence leading to my conclusion :)

I’ll A/B the same size tips with both narrow and wide openings when I get the chance :)

Thanks for your knowledge and clearing it up for me.

Jun 4, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #2,203 of 3,079
I've got my finger on the trigger for these right now at amp3. £80.99 with 10% discount code STAY10P
They're out of stock of the blue and red which I preferred and just have black but that's fine.

But before I go ahead and buy them, I've had my interest piqued about the TFZ Exclusive 5.

Well, for my part, I returned my IT01 today. I personally think they're decent sounding, but not better than the TFZ Exclusive 5 and Maxell GD200 I own. Which makes them somewhat redundant for me..

Can anyone tell me if the iBasso it01 sound is the same, as good, better or not as good as the TFZ Exclusive 5? I can buy either for the same price, well actually, TFZ is £1 cheaper including shipping from lmue.

I like the brushed aluminium finish on the TFZ and the cable looks good. Does anyone know if the cable will be as strong on the TFZ as I believe the iBasso cable is? Also a head-fi review on the TFZ says 'the Exclusive 5 isn’t the most stable fitting earphone due to its heavy weight and slightly smaller size which permits some movement within the ear, eventually working them free.'

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #2,204 of 3,079
Just got myself a pair of these as I was looking for a so called "beater" pair to go alongside my new CA Atlas with a somewhat similar sound sig, especially since I am planning on selling off most of my other mid to higher end stuff. The MD+ were supposed to be it, but I havent given them a ton of head time, and the jury is still out on the comfort factor for me, and of course, very different sound signatures. Was a big fan of the IT03, but I had major comfort issues with those, so a more universal shell was appealing here, and ibasso is a relatively easy choice.

First impressions are quite good and they are very nice for the price. This is definitely a pleasant V shape. Subbass seems to extend nicely, treble is maybe a tiny bit rolled off, but not bad, and mids definitely are not too recessed for my liking. Again, for the price, definitely liking them.

Current tip winners for me are spinfit CP145 Large, seems to give a good seal and I dont think I have any pressure points from the iem. Will have to do a longer listening session with them soon (and do some more tip rolling) to feel out comfort levels, but first impressions are quite good and I dont see myself having issues.

Jun 5, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #2,205 of 3,079
The included stock foam tips sound nice with the IT01. Nice bass boost (for real this time haha), while maintaining clear vocals and decent treble presence.

Agreed that for $99, there’s not much to fault for these IEMs. They make excellent beaters or a beginner IEM.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back