iBasso IT00 and AM05 Two very different IEMs with one purpose, to Enjoy the Music!
Jul 19, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #91 of 1,036
Yeah, I don‘t find the FD1 shouty or sibilant at all. HOWEVER, we all do hear things differently, so I would never discredit someone else’s opinion if they think it does sound that way. This is precisely why you really have to hear it for yourself to know, and I would never take a friend’s opinion as my truth.

I also caution the use of the word “better”. While there are certainly some items that are clearly superior in all aspects compared to another item, I submit that this is quite rare. All products have strengths and weaknesses, and in most cases, especially in similar price ranges, certain products excel in different areas. The key is finding what aspects of an IEM are most important to YOU, the listener. The goal isn’t to find what’s better, but what’s best for you. One of each may be what’s best for you.
Hi, i just joined head fi today because i need some help choosing a good device with sound sonic abilities, over ear or in ear it doesn't matter to me. Since seems like you own quite a few of these that i have on my mind, what would you choose among it00, er2xr, stafield, dt770 80, 58x at gunpoint for purely their sonic abilities. I know apples and oranges, but which ll give me the most refined detailed sound without sacrificing on the bass?

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #92 of 1,036
Hi, i just joined head fi today because i need some help choosing a good device with sound sonic abilities, over ear or in ear it doesn't matter to me. Since seems like you own quite a few of these that i have on my mind, what would you choose among it00, er2xr, stafield, dt770 80, 58x at gunpoint for purely their sonic abilities. I know apples and oranges, but which ll give me the most refined detailed sound without sacrificing on the bass?
Given you just quoted one of my posts specifically stating that it matters what’s best/better FOR YOU, I need a lot more information on what you’re looking for. Many of the items you listed are very different from one another. Are you sensitive to bright treble? How much bass do you like? Do you want a reference tuned product, at perhaps the cost of sounding a bit boring at times, or do you want a really fun and dynamic sounding item? Do you need isolation? I’ll just throw out some information that perhaps will help some.

IT00 - I don’t have this one, and haven’t heard it yet, but based on some reviews and looking at the freq. response graph, this is probably my #1 recommendation for a fun sounding, but well balanced IEM.

ER2XR - a very capable and accurate sounding IEM. It is basically reference tuned, but with some elevated bass. A great all-around tuning. There is sub bass, but not a bunch of bass. Could possibly sound boring at times. In stock form, it is designed for deep insertion which may take some time to get used to, but it provides maximum isolation.

Starfield - I don’t have this either. It is tuned very much like the Harman curve, and is considered to be a very well balanced and agreeable tuning. It has more bass than the ER2XR. This is also a great all-purpose IEM, but it also may sound boring at times.

DT770 - closed back HP. Very lively sounding, with a LOT of deep bass, but also quite bright treble. The midrange is a bit recessed, but is still very clear.

HD58x - open back, so no isolation at all. Wonderful sounding midrange, with amazing vocals. Really enjoyable to listen to for acoustic and vocal genres, but it doesn’t really have sub bass.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #93 of 1,036
Given you just quoted one of my posts specifically stating that it matters what’s best/better FOR YOU, I need a lot more information on what you’re looking for. Many of the items you listed are very different from one another. Are you sensitive to bright treble? How much bass do you like? Do you want a reference tuned product, at perhaps the cost of sounding a bit boring at times, or do you want a really fun and dynamic sounding item? Do you need isolation? I’ll just throw out some information that perhaps will help some.

I'm looking for something that ll let me hear all the layer of instruments in a busy track, some amount of sub bass rumble for lets say tracks like hans zimmer soundtracks for interstellar or inception. From what i have gathered it's either technical abilities sacrificing on the lower side, or get something bassy or v shaped. Looking something balanced with adequate bass in quality with great vocal and airy sweet defined treble for instruments. I'm open to other options as well in the same price range. Was looking at akg 371 as well since it got a lot of praises as well. Thanks for the prompt reply.

Jul 19, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #94 of 1,036
I'm looking for something that ll let me hear all the layer of instruments in a busy track, some amount of sub bass rumble for lets say tracks like hans zimmer soundtracks for interstellar or inception. From what i have gathered it's either technical abilities sacrificing on the lower side, or get something bassy or v shaped. Looking something balanced with adequate bass in quality with great vocal and airy sweet defined treble for instruments. I'm open to other options as well in the same price range. Was looking at akg 371 as well since it got a lot of praises as well. Thanks for the prompt reply.
I would recommend the LZ A6. Very vesatile, with good bass quantity with excellent quality (tightness, speed, texture, rumble and extension), great vocals and very airy treble. 9 different tuning filters too.

Jul 19, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #95 of 1,036
I can’t personally vouch for the LZ A6, but it is definitely an option to consider, especially at current pricing.

Given this information, the ER2XR is a great candidate, due to it’s reference tuning, good technicalities, and natural timbre.

If willing to spend more, and willing to tinker and modify the IEMs some, the JVC FD01/FDX1/FD02 are an excellent option, for a very natural sounding and very technically competent IEM. It is currently my favorite IEM for classical/orchestral music.

If willing to use EQ some to fine tune it, the DT770 may be your best option for the price. It is best when used with a headphone amp though, even if an inexpensive amp.

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #96 of 1,036
Well, managed to get them to work.
I have narrow ear canals and I can't get them deep enough, so they keep slipping off. Should I get I buy different tip, or the ones inside the box are good enough?

I think I can sell my HD800. Barely notice a difference.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #97 of 1,036
I have narrow ear canals and I can't get them deep enough, so they keep slipping off. Should I get I buy different tip, or the ones inside the box are good enough?

Stock tips are rarely good in my opinion (there are some exceptions that includes high quality tips).
Here are my favorite tips.

Spinfits CP145
Sony EP-EX11
Final audio Type E
Azla tips (multiple versions)
JVC Spiral dot/spiral dot ++

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #98 of 1,036
Stock tips are rarely good in my opinion (there are some exceptions that includes high quality tips).
Here are my favorite tips.

Spinfits CP145
Sony EP-EX11
Final audio Type E
Azla tips (multiple versions)
JVC Spiral dot/spiral dot ++

Amongst that group, anything above the rest?
What about foam tips?
Also, any cable recommendation, or unnecessary?

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #99 of 1,036

The stock tips on the it00 are not bad, but as @RikudouGoku says well designed tips make a difference. Are you wearing them over your ears correctly? Maybe foam tips may suit you.

Jul 19, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #100 of 1,036
Amongst that group, anything above the rest?
What about foam tips?
Also, any cable recommendation, or unnecessary?
I dislike foam tips.

My favorite is the Sony ex11 (known as the Sony Hybrids), then the final type e and 3rd place is shared between the CP145/spiral dot++

I tend to prefer narrow bores over wide bores because narrow bores tighten the bass and reduces treble peaks for me. I only use wide bore over narrow bores for fit reasons.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #101 of 1,036
The stock tips on the it00 are not bad, but as @RikudouGoku says well designed tips make a difference. Are you wearing them over your ears correctly? Maybe foam tips may suit you.

I have no experience with IEMs as i'm mainly a headphone user. I always had trouble fitting iems inside my ears. I dunno if im wearing them correctly, but would a smaller boar make a difference in that regard?

In regards to sound, I had no idea such a small driver could have such sound. Pretty neat.

I dislike foam tips.

My favorite is the Sony ex11 (known as the Sony Hybrids), then the final type e and 3rd place is shared between the CP145/spiral dot++

I tend to prefer narrow bores over wide bores because narrow bores tighten the bass and reduces treble peaks for me. I only use wide bore over narrow bores for fit reasons.

Thanks.
You mention fit reasons, but for people with narrow canal I suppose a narrower one would be better for fit reasons?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #103 of 1,036
I have no experience with IEMs as i'm mainly a headphone user. I always had trouble fitting iems inside my ears. I dunno if im wearing them correctly, but would a smaller boar make a difference in that regard?

In regards to sound, I had no idea such a small driver could have such sound. Pretty neat.

Thanks.
You mention fit reasons, but for people with narrow canal I suppose a narrower one would be better for fit reasons?
Have a look on YouTube on 'how to wear IEMs' over ears. Check you are doing it correctly.

Jul 19, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #104 of 1,036

Thanks.
Probably, but since everyone has different ears it is impossible for anyone to predict it for you. Best is for you to buy a narrow and a wide bore to see which type fits you the best (even then, with different iems sometime wide bores will fit better than narrow even if you are mostly using narrow).

I suggest you buy some final type e tips and the Azla tips since they shouldn't be too expensive. (I'm importing them with Amazon.co.jp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back