iBasso fi.Quest Official Thread
Dec 24, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #46 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually i feel the case design is a little thin. But still much better than SR71a. Diablo got the best casing among all amps i owned

I think its fine, not perfect, but I dont know how much more I would pay for a custom enclosure, maybe 50 bucks. wow I guess its been a while since you owned the diablo, or perhaps you werent into modding (or even opening) your gear then? I have a diablo, it looks very very sexy and modern art'ish i'll definitely agree to that, but it comes at a cost. the edges are very sharp, it scratches anything that even glances at it (including ipods of course) and you can even cut yourself on it, its also glued shut to enable that cool seamless look, I recently had to install a new battery in mine and I can tell you it wasnt fun
frown.gif
the only amp i've ever owned that you need a hot air gun to open it
rolleyes.gif
; of course it IS beautiful and sounds great too...but i'll take a case that functions over a pretty one thanks

that being said I think it (the OEM) looks very cool in a utilitarian/industrial/edgy kind of way

any yes the knob is sweet.

have only had a chance to test it works for 5 mins, but at this stage all I will say is it sounds as big as it looks...actually much bigger. with LME49720HA and buf634 and JH13 and on low gain it does hiss a touch with no music playing though; less than lisa, but it still does. Its not worrisome though, will see if I can find an opamp combo that doesnt as it could just be the national chip. so i'll just leave it burning and get used to the sound a little while I prepare everything else for it. will post some pics tomorrow of the setup for the discrete buffers. still unsure of whether I will do the necessary modding to allow the bursons to fit or whether I will just be content with discrete buffers and the ability to power the finest opamp chips.

the buffers take bipolar input and output SE, they are a drop in replacement for BUF634 as well though, so its not totally necessary to have bipolar. but I could use OPA1632 (fully differential opamp, the one used in the buffalo32 sabre dac) which will allow SE input and output differential. if doing this I would have to wire direct to the buffer as I doubt the PCB is set up for bipolar signal to the buffer socket. with a couple of further mods I could have balanced output; love having a bipolar power supply to play with

Dec 24, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #47 of 668
Dec 24, 2009 at 11:16 AM Post #48 of 668
how many of these have you got Jon? you had one before they shipped, then you opened a new one today; is this one above the one you had before??

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #50 of 668
Well I'm in the gang also as mine turned up about 10mins ago
smily_headphones1.gif
No instructions though? What are the power options on the rear? I've just put it on 1 at present, Charge and Isolated I assume this is just charge only. 2 I assume is Off completely and 3 I assume is Charge and listen at the same time.... can someone confirm that for me. God I sound dim and I haven't even openned her up yet.

Sure look pretty though, if it sounds as nice as it looks I'll be pleased.

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #51 of 668
yes Ryuzoh, even though the average OEM owner is a tweaker at heart and most (and I stress most ^^) have got a clue
tongue.gif
you might consider either including a rudimentary manual or putting together a PDF and emailing it out. this thread will become a resource for owners as well, but at the moment we are winging it.

BTW just cracked open the charger and added to my PCX order to upgrade the rubicon caps to Nichicon 4700uf/35v KZ and 470 or 330uf (got both), some tantalum bypass caps to deal with ripple and I also will replace the hookup with with 16AWG neotech UPOCC and put an upgraded AC plug on there too
biggrin.gif
dont know what type of diode is being used for a reference (i;'m assuming zener) but will play with other options here once I know more about it. I have other supplies that would probably do better anyway for home use, but I think having a portable upgraded PSU to bring on the road for use with all sorts of things will be way cool

I would like to know a little more about the switches and headers inside as well when you have time mate

Dec 24, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #53 of 668
Meeee?.....

hehe nah dont worry about it, i'd like some confirmation regarding the charging positions too. its one thing to be able to make a guess; educated or otherwise; but another to know for sure. I prefer the latter.

i'm not charging the amp at all yet though, s even though most modern batteries dont have memory effect I would rather be safe than sorry. so i'm going to run it till the light starts flashing (not all the way flat) before I charge it for the first time.

Dec 24, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #54 of 668
Graham Slee Solo is going up for sale.........

This amp is superb. I couldn't help having a little look under the hood though and one thing lead to another, you know how it is
biggrin.gif
. So now I'm listening with AD797's in L/R with OPA627 in G and Hi-C buffers. I don't really have the funds to shell out on tens upon tens of amps but I have had some half decent stuff when I could afford it, let me tell you this amp is an absolute steal and by far the best purchase I've made in 2009 (apart from the new Shpongle CD of course).

Hats off and a big thanks to Ryuzoh and the guys at ibasso for making this happen
beerchug.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #55 of 668
Yes in the 3 position it charges and you can play. The traces are gold plated vs tin.

Listening to J. Hendrix tearing up the guitar. Excellent separation and drive. Purple Haze holds together as does Foxy Lady. Plays well with the Ed. 9 and the JH13's. The bass is starting to come in very nice.

qusp, did you measure the ripple?

Dec 24, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #56 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how many of these have you got Jon? you had one before they shipped, then you opened a new one today; is this one above the one you had before??

Yes it got updated.

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:04 PM Post #57 of 668
nope, havent measured anything as yet, jam, will do some measurements when I go to do anything with it. there will be some though. its higher quality than your average wallwart thats for sure, but it will be improved. got a new scope coming in a week or so for testing the beta release of the ackodac sabre dac project based in OZ. so i'll put it all on the scope then. have you??

I tell you what, you werent wrong about the sound filling out quickly. the first few minutes were pretty ordinary and bass light. also at this stage i'm finding the high gain mode and low volume to be superior to low gain and higher volume.

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #58 of 668
Quote:

also at this stage i'm finding the high gain mode and low volume to be superior to low gain and higher volume.

I tried that also Jeremy but the JH13's were hissing like mad, didn't you find that?

Dec 24, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #59 of 668
yeah, I think johns ears must be getting old ;P this amp does hiss with the 13s
I think i'm just going to change out the LME chip, its a bit sterile sounding. will put OPA827 in in the morning

Dec 24, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #60 of 668
Quote:

yeah, I think johns ears must be getting old - or I have a poor source - ;P this amp does hiss with the 13s
I think i'm just going to change out the LME chip, its a bit sterile sounding. will put OPA827 in in the morning

With nothing connected to the amp I don't hear hiss.

All of my real testing equipment is in storage 1000 miles away. 9 tube testers, a capacitor checker for ESR etc that I love to use and other stuff. Well I got these ears. . . lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back