iBasso fi.Quest Official Thread
Dec 23, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #31 of 668
Number 100, cool. Ok, hooking up my Ed. 9. :^) I have been using my JH13's and on low gain zero hiss and very open sounding but more time is needed for everything to form.

Plugging in the Ed. 9. . . about 11:00 on mine due to the lower voltage out on my dac to the fi.Quest. I am using the optical in MB-1. Wow, what detail. I have have to throw the HD650 on and the HF2's.

I like what the amp does with the Grado HF2. A very spatial and open sound. Very transparent. Now where did I put those additional BUF634's. :^) Now I can start using those HA5002's. Xin sent me a few adapters so you can use the 5002 in a standard pinout and I do like the HA5002. They can even stack with the BUF634. So many options, where to start, where to start.

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #32 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Number 100, cool. Ok, hooking up my Ed. 9. :^) I have been using my JH13's and on low gain zero hiss and very open sounding but more time is needed for everything to form.

Plugging in the Ed. 9. . . about 11:00 on mine due to the lower voltage out on my dac to the fi.Quest. I am using the optical in MB-1. Wow, what detail. I have have to throw the HD650 on and the HF2's.

It is the detail and sound staging that blew me away when I first heard it. Being the default version I did not think it could sound like this. The 9:30 am was on a fairly hot CD, now I am listening to a more normal one closer to 11 am.

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #33 of 668
i'm gonna be short a couple of 47uf caps when mine arrives anyway
frown.gif
2 of the 47 i'm replacing with 100uf, but i'm not sure I can replace all 33uf and 47 uf with 100uf temporarily or not? I wont get the rest of my caps from PCX for a week or so, in the meantime I have some panas on the way from farnell, but I dont think I will get anything from them until tuesday
frown.gif
only 47uf I have are blackgate NX and they are only 6.3v, so I suppose it depends on the circuit whether I can use them anywhere. temporarily

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #34 of 668
If they will fit I would just leave the 100uf caps. Remember always keep stock. I have so much stock I don't know what I will do with all of it but it is in storage 1000 miles away. So now I have a mobile stock.

I just put on Hotel California from the Eagles, Hell Freezes Over because I like the beginning bass drum. I will turn up the volume on amps, louder than I would listen but often I am curious if they will clip and many do but this just more and more solid. Voltage swing has its place.

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #35 of 668
My Pico Amp/Dac may now get retired...after hearing this amp with my Pico Dac.

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #36 of 668
I rarely need this sort of value. I normally use much higher or much lower. but the main reason I dont have any apart from whats on the way is because we have been having a postal strike here in OZ, at christmas too
frown.gif

I have 80 and 100uf that will fit, I just wasnt sure if that was wise. I know 2 of them its all good as one of ryuzohs mods involves upping them to 220uf, but the others all stay at 33 and 47 which makes me think it might be like a digital circuit and not wise to up the value. if they are reservoir caps its no worries as these 80 and 100 are very fast and low ESR.

Dec 23, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #37 of 668
I need to look more at the circuit but I think they are all for a stable supply to the chip so I can't see why 100uf wouldn't be fine. I don't use 33 very often either.

Dec 24, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #38 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah this is the first time I will have needed one in a device that doesnt actually have a ground. I usually use the IEC or ground on one of the power supplies. the reason I ask is there may already be a star ground and I dont want to make another and risk loops.

on a sad note I dont think i'm going to get mine for Xmas either. mine left singapore yesterday some time, but has not hit OZ yet, still needs to be cleared. this would mean I wont get it until after the weekend
frown.gif

wield that it bypass my home
tongue_smile.gif

Got to do some shopping for caps later today. But I only had Eterna to listen with for now
frown.gif

Dec 24, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #39 of 668
Wow, a solid aluminum volume control and set screw vs hollow aluminum and push on. Nice. And the volume control has the nut used so the face plate supports it, taking the strain off of the pot.

After just 5 hours the sound. This amp is fast. It is making listening to my headphones fun again. It has a different sound compared to my Woo 6. In a good way it has a control that has to be heard.

Dec 24, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #40 of 668
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After just 5 hours the sound. This amp is fast. It is making listening to my headphones fun again. It has a different sound compared to my Woo 6. In a good way it has a control that has to be heard.

Your comparing it to a tube amp and so am I...my Yamamoto HA-02. My Fi-Quest does have somewhat of a tube sound...It matches well with the detail of my Pico DAC.

Dec 24, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #41 of 668
well my pessimism worked!! I went to bed at 7am this morning and woke up now at 1pm and was just about to look at the tracking when I saw the luminous yellow silhouette through my front door
icon10.gif
it must be hard to work with a hangover at DHL
tongue_smile.gif

you guys arent wrong about the PSU, its heavy as! I have not listened yet obviously, but the look is very stylish indeed! I flipped the switch and the LED came on
confused.gif
I havent cracked her open yet, but that wouldnt seem right; perhaps they installed all caps instead of just the 10000uf UTSJ. or I suppose with just the 10000UF it might actually work since they seem to be the only large caps involved in the power supply. I particularly like how when you turn it off the LED flickers quickly, then slower, then off very cool. the matt finish is awesome and befitting such a high quality amp. I will open it up and see what is inside shortly.

will post pics a little later with the buffers and burson opamp mod.

Dec 24, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #42 of 668
well looks like all the caps are there, nothing in the CP positions (bypass) the burson wont fit without some remodeling but the buffers will. i've dropped LME96720HA in the amp position, will try OPA211 (with bypassed power pins) and OPA827, will do some listening like this before I do anything else. will wait for Ryuzoh to suggest a star ground before I install the buffers. for now I must go down and make a couple of mini to minis

Dec 24, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #43 of 668
Actually i feel the case design is a little thin. But still much better than SR71a. Diablo got the best casing among all amps i owned

Dec 24, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #45 of 668
I can't see how the case would need to be thicker. Just a minute. . . .

ok stood on it and then threw it off of the 3rd floor. . . . . . Hey, good a new. :^)

The 71A seems fine to me. Custom extrusion and has taken plenty of hard use here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back