Ibasso DX90 or Fiio X3ii (Second Generation)
May 14, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #31 of 38
Everyone will define the word "major" differently. Anyway, here is what Lieven from headfonia.com thought;

The iBasso DX90 is still the better DAP: sound and usability wise. With the DX90 you get a full bodied and a more detailed sound, especially in the mids. Overall a higher micro detail level with more feeling and timbre making it even more dynamic and musical than the X3 SG is. Bass body might be a bit bigger though. The DX90 is the most silent of the DAPs in my collection and the extra sensitive Earwerkz Legend R almost doesn’t hiss with this player. iBasso still has a better UI than the new X3in my opinion and with the touch screen, its usability just is better. I’ve been listening to the new X3 daily for a few weeks now and while I was very happy with it, my ears, when I went back to the DX90, couldn’t deny the DX90 is still a level up (in everything). The New X3 however got a whole lot closer to the DX90, and don’t forget it is only half its price. That’s really impressive from Fiio.

Now you are judging by what someone else found.  Did he level match and A/B both units?  As I stated it sounded to me like there was very little difference between the 2 units once I level matched and A/B'ed them.

May 14, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #32 of 38
I've got both the DX90 the X3II and the X1...and the DX90 is not worth the 200 dollar premium over the X3II after A/Bing them for the past few days.  Yes, I can see that the DX90 probably sounds a tiny big better, but for my everyday use, I like the size and the UI of the X3II better so I gravitate towards that.  The X3II is fantastic DAP and you'll definitely be happy with it for years to come.  Price is an important factor.  Value for my dollar is a big deal for me even though I buy a ton of stuff

May 15, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #33 of 38
  I've got both the DX90 the X3II and the X1...and the DX90 is not worth the 200 dollar premium over the X3II after A/Bing them for the past few days.  Yes, I can see that the DX90 probably sounds a tiny big better, but for my everyday use, I like the size and the UI of the X3II better so I gravitate towards that.  The X3II is fantastic DAP and you'll definitely be happy with it for years to come.  Price is an important factor.  Value for my dollar is a big deal for me even though I buy a ton of stuff

Yes.....I agree with you 100%  I did love the Ibasso, but for an extra $200, not worth the difference.

Thanks

Jun 30, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #34 of 38
Thanks for your thoughts guys I'm a FiioX3 Gen 1 owner and have enjoyed it thoroughly. I have an oppurtunity to maybe buy a DX90 or the X3 Gen 2......The ESS chip keeps my attention. (years ago I heard an ESS DAC and never forgot that sound-I could never afford one either since then) So I'm considering these 2 like you guys just talked about....the psychology of it all is fascinating also....."its got to be better its $200 more" is what I keep thinking. I have a lot of Fiio gear and have never regretted buying from them, but that damn Sabre chip has me......aahhhhhhhhh....I gotta read more of the Fiio X7 thread, maybe it  has a Sabre chip???

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #35 of 38
Hi dbdynsty25,

I am going to buy a new DAP to add to my collection. Currently I am using a Sansa Clip + for the gym and my Nexus 5.

I have been reading lots of different reviews on DAPs and I am doubting now between the X1 and the X3 (I might also buy the Xduuo X2 if the Fiios feel too big for the gym).

Since you own both, do you think there is a big difference in sound? 

I mainly listen to electronic/dance/progressive/electro music. I also use the soundmagic e10, v moda m80, sistema tum tum and audio technica m50x.

I was also thinking of acquiring an amp to use with the DAP. My options are Topping NX1, NX2 and Fiio e11K.

These are the prices I can get all of these for:

E11K - 50€ 
NX1 - 37€
NX2 - 46 €
Fiio X1 - 97€
Fiio X3 - 217€

Any help would be much appreciated!

Aug 19, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #36 of 38
I honestly don't know zilch about any of the amps you mentioned but the DX90 sounds fabulous to me and its all I've listened to since I bought it.
I tried firmware 2.3 but flashed back to my original firmware 2.15. I use DUNU DN-1000's for in ear and Grado PS500's as my full size cans. This setup represents the finest one I've had in my 57 years.
I haven't listened to my main rig in months.
I haven't compared the X3 and DX90 yet as I believe that would cut into my blissful listening of my above mentioned rig..... LOL.
Sorry I can't help more but I'm a seriously happy camper in DX90 heaven.... LOL.
I think ibasso is soon to release a new DAP so my only advice is grab a 90 while you can... Enjoy!!!!

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #37 of 38
  Hi dbdynsty25,

I am going to buy a new DAP to add to my collection. Currently I am using a Sansa Clip + for the gym and my Nexus 5.

I have been reading lots of different reviews on DAPs and I am doubting now between the X1 and the X3 (I might also buy the Xduuo X2 if the Fiios feel too big for the gym).

Since you own both, do you think there is a big difference in sound? 

I mainly listen to electronic/dance/progressive/electro music. I also use the soundmagic e10, v moda m80, sistema tum tum and audio technica m50x.

I was also thinking of acquiring an amp to use with the DAP. My options are Topping NX1, NX2 and Fiio e11K.

These are the prices I can get all of these for:

E11K - 50€ 
NX1 - 37€
NX2 - 46 €
Fiio X1 - 97€
Fiio X3 - 217€

Any help would be much appreciated!

I really wouldn't get an amp, especially if you got the X3II...it has a little more power than the X1, and a few more options (specifically a dedicated line out is what I consider a must have).  Sound wise, they are similar but the X3II is just a little better at detail retrieval which is really important to a lot of people but I really can't say it's worth the 100 dollar premium.  The line out IS however, so those two things together make it worth the extra 100 bucks FOR ME.

Oct 6, 2015 at 7:10 AM Post #38 of 38

I really wouldn't get an amp, especially if you got the X3II...it has a little more power than the X1, and a few more options (specifically a dedicated line out is what I consider a must have).  Sound wise, they are similar but the X3II is just a little better at detail retrieval which is really important to a lot of people but I really can't say it's worth the 100 dollar premium.  The line out IS however, so those two things together make it worth the extra 100 bucks FOR ME.

I finally bought the Fiio X3 ii from Amazon. After a month of use and a lot of A/B testing I couldn't tell a difference between my Nexus 5 with Viper and the Fiio X3 ii. If anything, I prefered my Nexus 5. I mainly listened to electronic music (David Guetta, Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike, Hardwell...), rap (Eminem) and some pop (Michael Jackson) when A/B testing.

When compared to my Pc and laptop, the Fiio X3 ii sounded really poor - so does the Nexus 5 and the Clip +.

There was a little difference with my Sansa Clip as this one produced a somewhat distorted sound on very high volumes, other than that the difference in sound was non existent.

I added the V Moda M100 to my collection and again it sounded better using the Nexus 5.

Today I have returned the Fiio X3 ii to Amazon. I really liked the feel of the device and the fact that I could have up to 128 gb of music in it. However, I simply wouldn't use this device in any situation. At home I would use my PC or laptop. At the gym I would use my Sansa clip or my Nexus 5 through bluetooth.

Maybe the Fiio X3 ii is better for classical music or some other genres I don't really listen to. Definately not for electronic, hip hop or pop music - at least not IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back