Ibasso DX90 or Fiio X3ii (Second Generation)
May 9, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #16 of 38
Back to us I suppose....if in perfect condition.  Without any Brick and mortar sites to demo anymore it really is a crap-shoot.....even with great sites like these get valuable reviews...........in the end it is what sounds best to you.

May 11, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #17 of 38

Here's the switch in question. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sescom-iPod-Stereo-Audio-MP3-FLAC-WMA-Player-A-B-Switch-3-5mm-1-8-/191555241299?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c99950553

If you want to learn more about volume matching and setting this up please contact Brooko via PM. (he will explain)

http://www.head-fi.org/u/170914/brooko

If anything its going to be educational for you. 

Goodluck

I just finished an A/B session with the Fiio X3ii (fw1.0) and the Ibasso DX90 (fw2.20 Lurker) using the Sescom A/B switch and level matched using a modified SPL meter with help from Brooko.  Interestingly they both now sound almost identical (using Grado sr325is).  I was switching back and forth on some familiar tracks in Hi res and only noticed a little more punch in the bass from input A as well as a little more clarity on the Highs.  I then thought it was confirmed that the DX90 was indeed a smidge better (at least to me).  Well low and behold it was the X3ii that was plugged into input A all along! 

In my mind going back to the when I first auditioned the 2 units I felt the that the Ibasso was the winner....however that was after listening to one and unplugging and switching to the other.  I guess I have a very very short term audio memory.  Also it was neat to compare the Hi res files to Mp3 320 to find out for me there was no audio difference (outside of the noise floor.....higher with Mp3).  I did not use an Mp3 created directly from my Hi res Flac file as my Winamp player would not convert it...could be user error.  The Mp3 was being played on the X3ii, so that may have been the reason for the extra noise (have yet to try it the other way around).

I will continue to experiment the next couple of days with alternating music and file types as well as 2 other headphones that I own (Shure se 535 iem and ATH 50x). 

This little Fiio just keeps amazing me for its price and performance factor.  Its size is exceptional and I am really liking the user interface more and more...just wish the font was a little larger.  Battery life is much better than the Ibasso as well.....probably due to the sleep mode on the X3ii.  I will continue to compare these 2 units and will add one more difference between the 2 that really stands out to me.  The Ibasso DX90 does not have a working gapless play mode (maybe a firmware issue) whereas the X3ii is as smooth as butter.  

May 12, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #19 of 38
  By the way the eq was off  on both.  And digital filter on DX90 was set to Sharp roll-off.

Sounds like you're definitely getting somewhere with this A/B switch. Please log your further impressions as you keep testing.

Also be sure to let us know what you decide on (the final outcome) 

May 12, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #20 of 38

Sounds like you're definitely getting somewhere with this A/B switch. Please log your further impressions as you keep testing.

Also be sure to let us know what you decide on (the final outcome) 

Will do.  Just wish I had this A/B switch a long time ago.  It really makes things much simpler.....once you level match.  Even with an spl meter level matching can be tricky.  So to be fair, once I level match, I turn one up and listen and do the same for the other until I hear a "loudness" difference.

May 12, 2015 at 11:30 PM Post #21 of 38
I finished many hours of Level Matched A/B listening sessions with the Ibasso DX90 and the Fiio X3ii.  
Bottom line the winner, for me, is:.............the X3ii.

They are both exceptional DAP's, but price/performance and at half the cost, the Fiio X3ii gets the nod here.  The X3ii is smaller and has the scroll-wheel interface that works well, but with a terrible screen with small font that is impossible to see outside.  The Ibasso wins out on the UI front with its touchscreen, but loses groung with its gapless hiccups.  

Sound-wise it got to the point where I had them both on the same level and exact spot on a track and there was almost no difference in the sound between the 2.  You could say when switching from A/B that it was a transition without any noticeable difference at all.   Longer sessions gave me the feel of a tiny bit of "aireness" with the DX and and a little more mid-bass punch with the X3ii.  

Funny thing I found out was the more that I listened to one device and read reviews the more the perceived differences I would make.  Maybe it is just me, but I must have a really short Audio memory, because no matter how much I tried when I was doing it the old style way I would hear more of a difference than when utilizing a true A/B device.     

May 13, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #22 of 38
Great! Back the DX90 goes. Bet you had a lot of fun and great learning experience. I hear more stories of people volume matching with a/b switches who hear little difference like yourself than big differences.

(enjoy the FiiO)

May 13, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #23 of 38
  I finished many hours of Level Matched A/B listening sessions with the Ibasso DX90 and the Fiio X3ii.  
Bottom line the winner, for me, is:.............the X3ii.

They are both exceptional DAP's, but price/performance and at half the cost, the Fiio X3ii gets the nod here.  The X3ii is smaller and has the scroll-wheel interface that works well, but with a terrible screen with small font that is impossible to see outside.  The Ibasso wins out on the UI front with its touchscreen, but loses groung with its gapless hiccups.  

Sound-wise it got to the point where I had them both on the same level and exact spot on a track and there was almost no difference in the sound between the 2.  You could say when switching from A/B that it was a transition without any noticeable difference at all.   Longer sessions gave me the feel of a tiny bit of "aireness" with the DX and and a little more mid-bass punch with the X3ii.  

Funny thing I found out was the more that I listened to one device and read reviews the more the perceived differences I would make.  Maybe it is just me, but I must have a really short Audio memory, because no matter how much I tried when I was doing it the old style way I would hear more of a difference than when utilizing a true A/B device.     

I enjoy the X3G2 and it is a good machine but IMO, there is a difference and I hear more detail and separation and depth on the DX90. What matters is to enjoy what you have but I do hear a difference and on some music it is not subtle. 

May 13, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #24 of 38
I have to say that I was sad to bring the Ibasso back to the UPS store, but now I can justify blowing some extra possibly on a new pair of headphones...any suggestions..damn this hobby is addicting!

May 13, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #25 of 38

I enjoy the X3G2 and it is a good machine but IMO, there is a difference and I hear more detail and separation and depth on the DX90. What matters is to enjoy what you have but I do hear a difference and on some music it is not subtle. 

Yes there is a slight difference in the sounds these 2 present, but for me I did not hear that much of a difference.  Maybe you have better hearing.....I can only hear to about 14k now, but did you level match and A/B the 2 when you tested them?

May 13, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #26 of 38
Havent heard the Fiio, but I doubt it can sound as effortless and clean as the DX90. A/B comparisons can confuse you, its just better if u keep listening to one dap, say the DX90, for a coupla hours running your favorite songs, then switch to the Fiio and see if you miss the DX90. And if you do miss the DX90, then ask yourself; what do I miss? And then the answer to your own question will be clear to u.

May 14, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #27 of 38
Havent heard the Fiio, but I doubt it can sound as effortless and clean as the DX90. A/B comparisons can confuse you, its just better if u keep listening to one dap, say the DX90, for a coupla hours running your favorite songs, then switch to the Fiio and see if you miss the DX90. And if you do miss the DX90, then ask yourself; what do I miss? And then the answer to your own question will be clear to u.

First of all if you have not listened to both devices you cannot comment on what one can or cannot do.  Second, If you read the whole post, you will see that I did indeed first attempt to listen to both devices in several different fashions.  I do agree that there seems to be more of a difference when you use one for a spell and then switch to the next, you will find more differences, which I refer to the placebo effect.  You see the more I would read about device A and B the more the differences grew when I switched back and forth.  

As I said before I may have a real short term Audio memory because after performing a level matched A/B it was like a revelation to me.  And I challenge anyone to do the same experiment with these 2 particular devices and see if you can honestly come up with any true major difference between the two.  

May 14, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #28 of 38
Maybe the gear that you are using is quite indifferent to the different daps you are using. I know the M50 and m50x are. But dunno about the Grados and the Shures you have. So now I am assuming the headphones arent revealing enough. Thus, if u r nt planning on upgrading your headphones soon, then keep the Fiio and save some $$ for some worthy upgrade later.

May 14, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #29 of 38
And I challenge anyone to do the same experiment with these 2 particular devices and see if you can honestly come up with any true major difference between the two.  

Everyone will define the word "major" differently. Anyway, here is what Lieven from headfonia.com thought;

The iBasso DX90 is still the better DAP: sound and usability wise. With the DX90 you get a full bodied and a more detailed sound, especially in the mids. Overall a higher micro detail level with more feeling and timbre making it even more dynamic and musical than the X3 SG is. Bass body might be a bit bigger though. The DX90 is the most silent of the DAPs in my collection and the extra sensitive Earwerkz Legend R almost doesn’t hiss with this player. iBasso still has a better UI than the new X3in my opinion and with the touch screen, its usability just is better. I’ve been listening to the new X3 daily for a few weeks now and while I was very happy with it, my ears, when I went back to the DX90, couldn’t deny the DX90 is still a level up (in everything). The New X3 however got a whole lot closer to the DX90, and don’t forget it is only half its price. That’s really impressive from Fiio.

May 14, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #30 of 38
Maybe the gear that you are using is quite indifferent to the different daps you are using. I know the M50 and m50x are. But dunno about the Grados and the Shures you have. So now I am assuming the headphones arent revealing enough. Thus, if u r nt planning on upgrading your headphones soon, then keep the Fiio and save some $$ for some worthy upgrade later.

What do you mean by indifferent?  What does that mean about the M50x?  The shures and Grados are very highly regarded headphones that work quite well for the genre of music that I listen to (progressive rock to metal)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back