Ibasso DX80
Oct 14, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #436 of 1,208

Yeah, sign 'O the times, unfortunately 
rolleyes.gif

Nothing like orchestrated paranoia to whip legislators into a frenzy, around the globe.

This is one reason why I feel DAP companies should make more effort to provide distribution of batteries, through their dealer network, globally. This isn't aimed just at iBasso - I've said exactly the same thing to James (Fiio).

But I know iBasso don't really have a dealer network in the same manner as the likes of Fiio. It's a less-than-satisfactory situation, to be frank.

We have distributors in many countries and they are set up to replace batteries and facilitate other repairs. The seller can also send a unit to us.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Oct 14, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #438 of 1,208

Yeah, sign 'O the times, unfortunately 
rolleyes.gif

Nothing like orchestrated paranoia to whip legislators into a frenzy, around the globe.

This is one reason why I feel DAP companies should make more effort to provide distribution of batteries, through their dealer network, globally. This isn't aimed just at iBasso - I've said exactly the same thing to James (Fiio).

But I know iBasso don't really have a dealer network in the same manner as the likes of Fiio. It's a less-than-satisfactory situation, to be frank.

We have distributors in many countries and they are set up to replace batteries and facilitate other repairs. The seller can also send a unit to us.

Thanks Paul.

Perhaps things have changed since last I emailed the company (used to have a DX100, 2nd batch). Apologies if my above remarks were outdated.

However, IMO, no one should have to send their unit in in order to get a fresh battery...

As I said, I'm not singling iBasso out for this, so please don't get that impression.

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #440 of 1,208

Paul, great to hear that iBasso is addressing the short playback time of the DX90, however, the lack of a user replaceable battery and user-centric design of the player is a step backwards. A number of questions:

1) When the battery is approaching EOL, can DX80 owners purchase a replacement battery from the manufacturer / off eBay and with a cellphone DIY toolkit open up and replace the dead battery or are connections sautered?
2) Can owners send their DX80s back to iBasso for a fresh battery replacement or are customers left with a paperweight and forced to purchase next year's model?  If so, please advise on the price of a replacement battery and any other costs so customers can assess the DX80's total cost of ownership.
3) If the battery is a proprietary design, will you ensure the contract with the battery manufacturer is a long-term one i.e., 5-10+ years so that fresh batteries can be continuously produced?

If there's no option to replace the battery by DIYers or iBasso technicians, then it's disappointing to hear that iBasso is following the Apple, Samsung business model of "forced obsolescence" with dying batteries, firmware updates, etc. Most people are tired of disposable electronics and welcome companies that are more conscious of the environment. Thanks

Come on both iPhone and Galaxy devices battery's are replaceable, I work at an Apple authorized service provider and I do they all the time, nothings soldered. I do however wish that they would just make them user replaceable, it almost seems like more work making a way for 1 nobody to be able to easily open them and also have the battery be quickly serviceable, there is also a lot of extra room in them surprisingly.

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #444 of 1,208
  audiogarden has the DX80 on preorder already, for 419€, available Nov. 2nd!
@Paul - iBasso can you confirm the release date?

Woah. Isn't that price quite a bit more than the $359 price-tag iBasso posted on their facebook?
Or is Audiogarden usually overpriced like that?

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #446 of 1,208
I hope a new firmware will come up before the release because audio garden sample felt a bit unresponsive.

Maybe it's only a prototype. My assumption is that that specific sample would have a Beta firmware instead of a full release firmware. I hope...
Or, do you mean the screen itself is a bit slow/unresponsive? or do you mean it's laggy?

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:45 AM Post #448 of 1,208
Maybe it's only a prototype. My assumption is that that specific sample would have a Beta firmware instead of a full release firmware. I hope...
Or, do you mean the screen itself is a bit slow/unresponsive? or do you mean it's laggy?

The touchscreen was laggy. It's less slow if you go to the centre of your screen to another direction but it still take some time.
As far as I know, it was a final unit but with a beta firmware. This is why I'm hoping for a new fw before the release.

Oct 17, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #449 of 1,208
The touchscreen was laggy. It's less slow if you go to the centre of your screen to another direction but it still take some time.
As far as I know, it was a final unit but with a beta firmware. This is why I'm hoping for a new fw before the release.

afaik, they are still ironing bugs out of the firmware. should be better with final release

Oct 17, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #450 of 1,208
We have not given a date for release at this time. Any sample that has been viewed is different from the final version. We changed the screen as the screen on the samples was never the final screen. There have been many changes to the FW and a few to the hardware. We want the DX80 to be the most that it can be.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back