Ibasso DX80
Aug 9, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #47 of 1,208
BETTER BATTERY LIFE, WE NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED IT. :popcorn:

If Ibasso offer a better battery life but the same amp and SQ as the DX50, will you purchase it?

What I learned so far, battery life doesn't have that much importance when it comes to dedicated daps, most users will barely listen to music for 2-3hrs per day on the go and a high percentage of them will use it as a dac in their desktop setup paired with their PC and amps for big cans with a power outlet nearby. Considering that even the worst dap can offer a minimum of 6-8hrs of battery life, I wouldn't focus on this to buy a new dap.

What really attracts people to purchase a new dap is the overall improvements in the Sq, amp, features and capabilities. If this new Ibasso sounds better than the DX50 with an amp that can drive my big cans decently with an improved dac and a lower retail price than the DX90, I'm interested but if there's only improvements in the battery section I won't waste my money just for the new look.

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #48 of 1,208
If Ibasso offer a better battery life but the same amp and SQ as the DX50, will you purchase it?

What I learned so far, battery life doesn't have that much importance when it comes to dedicated daps, most users will barely listen to music for 2-3hrs per day on the go and a high percentage of them will use it as a dac in their desktop setup paired with their PC and amps for big cans with a power outlet nearby. Considering that even the worst dap can offer a minimum of 6-8hrs of battery life, I wouldn't focus on this to buy a new dap.

What really attracts people to purchase a new dap is the overall improvements in the Sq, amp, features and capabilities. If this new Ibasso sounds better than the DX50 with an amp that can drive my big cans decently with an improved dac and a lower retail price than the DX90, I'm interested but if there's only improvements in the battery section I won't waste my money just for the new look.
also a good UI is important to me also. I have a large collection. A decent battery (8-10) hours and or course sound quality

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #49 of 1,208

Battery life is important to me, since companies CAN do it, like Hisound and Cowon. I am very spoiled since my Cowon destroys the DX90 in battery life. The DX90 is a slight upgrade sound wise to my Cowon also, most likely I will keep my eye out for a good priced Studio V3, it seems to have a killer battery and sound to match.

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #50 of 1,208

Battery life is important to me, since companies CAN do it, like Hisound and Cowon. I am very spoiled since my Cowon destroys the DX90 in battery life. The DX90 is a slight upgrade sound wise to my Cowon also, most likely I will keep my eye out for a good priced Studio V3, it seems to have a killer battery and sound to match.

See, the problem is, battery life doesn't come out of thin air. With battery limitations you need to supply constant power to the headphones, with an iBasso DAP much more power is on tap to drive the demanding loads which users place these units through, quite a lot more power than the players you mentioned,(with exception of Studio V 3rd Anv which has inside its case one thin circuit board and the entire casing filled with a massive capacity battery)

If iBasso drop the power output level to something like a Sony Walkman or Cowon J3 then people would complain about the device not driving their headphones efficiently. Battery life doesn't simply come from magic, we're at the limitations of technlogy, size, etc. You either have long run times with limited power (Cowon, Sony). Or, average run times which can drive HD600 and Beyer DT880 with authority. 

Two things:

Output Power
Run times

The company must find the correct balance for their target audience. 

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #51 of 1,208

See, the problem is, battery life doesn't come out of thin air. With battery limitations you need to supply constant power to the headphones, with an iBasso DAP much more power is on tap to drive the demanding loads which users place these units through, quite a lot more power than the players you mentioned,(with exception of Studio V 3rd Anv which has inside its case one thin circuit board and the entire casing filled with a massive capacity battery)

If iBasso drop the power output level to something like a Sony Walkman or Cowon J3 then people would complain about the device not driving their headphones efficiently. Battery life doesn't simply come from magic, we're at the limitations of technlogy, size, etc. You either have long run times with limited power (Cowon, Sony). Or, average run times which can drive HD600 and Beyer DT880 with authority. 

Two things:

Output Power
Run times

The company must find the correct balance for their target audience. 

Always sacrifices, it still shows it can be done, with the 3V. Nothing is perfect or course, but having to charge something possibly every day, is lame to me.

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #52 of 1,208

Always sacrifices, it still shows it can be done, with the 3V. Nothing is perfect or course, but having to charge something possibly every day, is lame to me.

Not really, because inside Studio V is this.

That thin 2-3mm circuit board, then see how big the casing is? The entire casing is then filled with a propriety "huge" milliamp battery. All they've done is use a massive battery, no magic or secret recipe, and iBasso could so this too if they wanted to make their DX80 twice as thick.

its the simple rule of limitations of technology.

Aug 9, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #53 of 1,208

Not really, because inside Studio V is this.

That thin 2-3mm circuit board, then see how big the casing is? The entire casing is then filled with a propriety "huge" milliamp battery. All they've done is use a massive battery, no magic or secret recipe, and iBasso could so this too if they wanted to make their DX80 twice as thick.

its the simple rule of limitations of technology.

That tells me that it still can be done, like I said, sacrifices, size would be just that. you cant have everything, its just like people needing more power, they by amps, so there goes the best portability.

Aug 9, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #55 of 1,208
That tells me that it still can be done, like I said, sacrifices, size would be just that. you cant have everything, its just like people needing more power, they by amps, so there goes the best portability.

Though along with it comes extra compromises. Did you know Studio V takes 12 hours to fully charge from flat battery? 6 hours from half. How long does your DX90 take to charge? I think mines done in just over an hour.

Aug 9, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #56 of 1,208
Though along with it comes extra compromises. Did you know Studio V takes 12 hours to fully charge from flat battery? 6 hours from half. How long does your DX90 take to charge? I think mines done in just over an hour.

I am aware of batteries taking long to charge based on their size. I have a 7000mah battery in my S3 phone. The DX90 takes a few hours, not sure how you can do yours in an hour. When its time to charge for me, plug them in and go to bed, pretty easy.

Aug 9, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #57 of 1,208
I am aware of batteries taking long to charge based on their size. I have a 7000mah battery in my S3 phone. The DX90 takes a few hours, not sure how you can do yours in an hour.

Nope, from 1/4 battery which I don't drop below (about 20-25%) my DX90 is done in just over an hour, maybe 80 minutes max using 1amp wall charger. if you're charging via 500mah USB port (laptop for example) then sure it will take much longer.

Aug 9, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #59 of 1,208
Nope, from 1/4 battery which I don't drop below (about 20-25%) my DX90 is done in just over an hour, maybe 80 minutes max using 1amp wall charger. if you're charging via 500mah USB port (laptop for example) then sure it will take much longer.

Using the wall outlet charger. Same one I use for my phone.

Aug 9, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #60 of 1,208
Just looked at my wall charger, its an older LG travel charger. Couldn't read the numbers on it. So I swapped out for the HTC adapter and cable that came with it, maybe it will be faster, or maybe I just didn't time to see how fast it charged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back