Ibasso DX80
Oct 27, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #511 of 1,208

But it's not even on the iBasso website yet. What up wit dat???

Because it has not been officially launched yet. I believe they are shipping the stock to their distributors now. It could be a pre-production unit too.

Unboxing DX80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iYdBlv8HAI

Thanks for sharing the video. Looks really nice. The transitions are smooth and the UI seems pretty good. The user did seem to have trouble hitting the back button on the top left corner of the screen. Wonder if it is a pre-production or a production unit.

Oct 27, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #512 of 1,208
It has not been launched yet. Also the FW has been updated.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Oct 27, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #514 of 1,208
I like what I saw in the video, awating release and review on SQ.

The guy in the video is one of the distributor in Indonesia for ibasso, I reckon.

Cheers-Merdeka

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #515 of 1,208
  Unboxing DX80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iYdBlv8HAI

For anyone about to watch that Youtube video, it takes this muppet almost 7 minutes to take the damn DAP out of the box.

I just saved you from wasting 7 minutes of your life.

You're welcome...
rolleyes.gif

wink.gif

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #517 of 1,208

For anyone about to watch that Youtube video, it takes this muppet almost 7 minutes to take the damn DAP out of the box.  I just saved you from wasting 7 minutes of your life.  You're welcome...
rolleyes.gif

wink.gif

Quote:
  Thanks for saving me 7 minutes. Why does that guy think it is called "UNBOXING"?
Get that freaking thing out of the box.  Worse are only guys who do one-handed unboxing videos because (they're) holding their camera in the other hand....

Sounds like you guys are thinking outside the box. 

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #518 of 1,208
  Thanks for saving me 7 minutes. Why does that guy think it is called "UNBOXING"?
Get that freaking thing out of the box.

Worse are only guys who do one-handed unboxing videos because theyholding their camera in the other hand....

Ha ha!!! You cannot be more right!

Unboxing videos are only made to be viewed by ******** who are unable to spend their lifetime doing interesting things :wink:

Oct 28, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #519 of 1,208
wow, that escalated fast...

Oct 28, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #520 of 1,208
Unboxing videos are only made to be viewed by ******** who are unable to spend their lifetime doing interesting things :wink:

Well as you're the judge(584), I pledge guilty as charged
tongue.gif

But I also have to admit that I skipped a lot of time from that first 7 minutes.
Anyhow, I liked the new menu style of the DX80
rolleyes.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #523 of 1,208
I went to the store in the video, it's in Jakarta, Indonesia. I'm really not good at impression but I do feel it's quite a solid offering within the price range. The dude in the video told me that it's going to be about $450-500 in my country. I tried to compare it with Cayin N5, subjectively, I found DX80 to be able to replace my Note 4 as the main DAP. Not so much with the N5 though, really clunky and crap UI and muffled sound. Gotta say that user experience is still a bit janky, feels like they are trying to emulate AK and fell short, but it's 1.0 firmware so things might change a lot in the future.

The build quality is great sans the kinda crooked button. I used my IE800 for testing and found the sound stage quite lacking but the clarity and separation is good, using my portable amp really opens up DX80 quite a lot. One note though, Cayin N5 was able to read my 128gb sandisk 80MB/s card perfectly while the DX80 requires reformatting which I won't do. I'll still buy the Onkyo DP-X1 but this is surely a good alternative to that.

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #524 of 1,208
  I used my IE800 for testing and found the sound stage quite lacking but the clarity and separation is good, using my portable amp really opens up DX80 quite a lot. 

So the amp in the DX80 is a bit crappy then by the sounds of it. Lacking soundstage, yeah? Significantly, or just mildly? I hope you're listening iBasso, we need you to fix this now before it gets to retail, because with limited soundstage i certainly wont be buying it. Fix the soundstage and i'll probably buy. But why you didn't just spend $5 more and put the ESS Sabre DAC in the DX80 is quite annoying. Honestly, iBasso, please fix the amp while you've got the chance, or else the FiiO X7 gets my money, and it's getting 'rave' reviews already.

Oct 29, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #525 of 1,208

So the amp in the DX80 is a bit crappy then by the sounds of it. Lacking soundstage, yeah? Significantly, or just mildly? I hope you're listening iBasso, we need you to fix this now before it gets to retail, because with limited soundstage i certainly wont be buying it. Fix the soundstage and i'll probably buy. But why you didn't just spend $5 more and put the ESS Sabre DAC in the DX80 is quite annoying. Honestly, iBasso, please fix the amp while you've got the chance, or else the FiiO X7 gets my money, and it's getting 'rave' reviews already.

I wouldn't say it's so severe to the point it lessens my enjoyment significantly, but definitely needs immediate attention if possible. I don't think you can compare this with X7 though, it's on a whole another level especially with desktop dac inside and the modular amp, not to mention price point.

Perhaps this is my most descriptive attempt with my crappy impression skill

Note 4 without amp ----> DX80 without amp -----------------> Note 4 with amp --------> DX80 with amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back