iBasso DX80 vs the Fiio X7...?
Jan 30, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #16 of 40

Like Dynaway, I tried the DX 80 and X7 - in a store here in Manila.  But I walked away with the X7.
Crazy it may seem, yet again like Dynaway, my IEM of choice is also the RE 600s.

I’d been reading everything and asking questions about these 2 very nice players.

I agree that the X7 sounds slightly more crisp and detailed. But I think it is more than that- I think there is more sound - more extension, and if I had to guess, perhaps slightly more accurate (resolving) of the recording.
 I believe well mastered music is where this player steps out and shows it stuff. 
My 600s sound better than ever, especially at the top where I always wanted just a touch more.

The sound on the DX 80 was big, fat, round and warm ( and maybe more forgiving) to my ears and that was very hard to walk away from. I like the higher powered amps and this was no exception.
I felt the sound was an upgrade to my X5, more emotion, more fun.

After listening through those players - I now see why many folks want more than one.

So why the X7?

Before I even listened - ALL THE POSSIBILITIES! 

While I like the overall look of the player, I feel the DX 80 UI is still in the last decade ( or 2) and while it will get better with updates it still is what it is. I think some might say it is an improvement over an X5 - but I’m not so sure. (certainly it is nothing like a tablet)

The size , for me, was perfect for a dap. It did feel good in my hand but the bottom corner that lands in yer palm has an edge to it that truly started to bother me. (There was no case on it though.)
Price wise I think it is a bargain - I listen to a lot of Grateful Dead and that player would knock it out of the park for those recordings, lots of voltage in that amp and an analogue kind of sound.

The X7 on the other hand, because of its versatility and ease of use, can wear MANY hats including different sounding amps.  Just now I see no need for a different amp. I feel no power lacking in the X7 for my current situation, and I listen loud - often.
It does feel (in the hand) a solid step up from the DX 80 , and it should - pricing considered.
It looks great, feels great and can grow with my needs - I’m diggin that.
But what seals the deal for me is the modern interface and all the options of available apps/ styles to suit your needs.  MUCH more sound tweaking if you enjoy that kind of thing - I definitely do.

For now, mine is set to high gain and I smile when I strap in. I still have volume to spare. 

Nothing wrong with turning up the volume BTW!

You would need to separately purchase amps, however, if you felt you wanted something different. The X7s will ship with the IEM amp.
At least that is what Joe from Fiio advised me last week

Sound wise you cannot fail with either unit - it truly depends on your individual desires.

Final thought: The DX 80 is all about the music - The X7 is a premium experience of being all about the music.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience! This eased my decision a whole lot!

What do you think the difference in sound is between the 2 players...? I use the IE80s most of the time so I am OK with the supposedly weaker amp module of the Fiio...

Thanks a lot again!

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #17 of 40
I bought the X7 and upgraded from a DX50, I loved my Ibasso and there are still elements I miss (mainly the 3 big buttons).

The sound quality on the DX50 was very good, I originally ordered the DX80 and I am certain that it would be an amazing player, delays in UK stock made me cancel my order and get the Fiio instead.

Everyone talks about sound quality as this is the most important factor in a player, but there is more to it. I love the Ibasso design and battery life was immense on the DX50...not so much with the X7, but it is still reasonable. The customer service with Ibasso was very good and Fiio is a whole new level...they design everything around feedback to tailor their products to their customers.
I mostly use my players through line out in my car (I spend more time in there than I have to spare with headphones) and the clarity and depth of sound is a huge step up from any other option available to me. With my Beyerdynamic T51 plugged in it is even more impressive listening to the X7, I mostly listen to hip hop and grime and I like the sound a lot.... Used to think I was a bass head until I found the DX50 getting probably too bassy after burn in and making my car vibrate along the road lol (I don't even have a sub). Took me ages to get used to the interface on both...you can see the benefits of each over time it is all about what you are used to and they do become familiar. Updates via the Fiio are so much easier as they are OTA WiFi like your mobile phone and the Bluetooth/WiFi is another bonus.
I hope this is of some help to anyone trying to make the same decisions I had to for upgrade....loads out there about sound and this is about living with it and day to day practicality.

I know there are a lot of reviews about the sound quality of the Fiio X7s but not from a previous iBasso user...
So I would love to get your opinion on the difference in sound quality!

Thanks a lot for helping out the thread!

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #18 of 40
I had to return two DX80s because both were defective. The national retailer was not surprised based on their experience with the DX80. So ...

I bought the FIIO X7 (delivery in a few days).

Overall, the impression I have of the DX80 is that it is so "yesterday". The X7 looks like a software and hardware platform that will support future innovations.

On a more concrete level, the DX80 navigation is weird; sometimes you swipe to get to the next screen, and at other times you click on a tiny arrow. Compounding the problem is that the text is tiny.

I just can't get past the DX80 quality control and uninspired architecture issues.

What do think about the sound quality of the two... Although I do know that you mentioned that your iBasso DX80s were defective... I just wanted to know your opinion... :)

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #19 of 40
Having not heard the Dx80 I couldn't give a comparison there. From the DX50 I hear more clarity and detail, there's more depth in sound and great separation. Overall the X7 is a big step up in SQ although the DX50 was very good and I loved it there was often a bit too much bass (and I love bass) which kind of muddied the lyrics for me and could overpower some of the detail.
My experience is mainly in car through aux as I listen a lot there....on headphones it was not an issue so much.
I did very little side by side comparison because I only have 1 sd card and it was a pain to switch.
I am very happy with the X7 it's a lot more where I wanted the sound to be... More neutral with a wide range and great detail.

Hope this helps mate

Jan 30, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #20 of 40
Having not heard the Dx80 I couldn't give a comparison there. From the DX50 I hear more clarity and detail, there's more depth in sound and great separation. Overall the X7 is a big step up in SQ although the DX50 was very good and I loved it there was often a bit too much bass (and I love bass) which kind of muddied the lyrics for me and could overpower some of the detail.
My experience is mainly in car through aux as I listen a lot there....on headphones it was not an issue so much.
I did very little side by side comparison because I only have 1 sd card and it was a pain to switch.
I am very happy with the X7 it's a lot more where I wanted the sound to be... More neutral with a wide range and great detail.

Hope this helps mate

Thanks a lot mate! This is exactly what I needed...
Guess I'll just go with the Fiio x7s then Caz iBasso doesn't sell in my place and repairing it would be an absolute pain...

Thanks a lot for all the help!

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #21 of 40
how would you compare the battery life?  I know Dx80 can hit 12 hours without any issue, but I had a few problems with DX80, like pop noise at the end of the music and system UI delay ect, so I decide to send it back. I know X7 has old android with 1G RAM, do u feel any system lag or freeze?

Jan 31, 2016 at 3:16 AM Post #22 of 40
how would you compare the battery life?  I know Dx80 can hit 12 hours without any issue, but I had a few problems with DX80, like pop noise at the end of the music and system UI delay ect, so I decide to send it back. I know X7 has old android with 1G RAM, do u feel any system lag or freeze?

We'll one thing I can assure you is that "old android" wouldn't be a problem... It's keeps getting updated like any other device... And as for RAM you should be fine if you are planning on using the device only for Music and not an iPod Touch like playing games on the device...

Jan 31, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #23 of 40
We'll one thing I can assure you is that "old android" wouldn't be a problem... It's keeps getting updated like any other device... And as for RAM you should be fine if you are planning on using the device only for Music and not an iPod Touch like playing games on the device...

thanks for the info. I only need a music device, and  I have smartphone for other uses. I am just worrying about the battery life, and could you tell me what is  the true battery life when you listen flac music?

Jan 31, 2016 at 5:03 AM Post #24 of 40
thanks for the info. I only need a music device, and  I have smartphone for other uses. I am just worrying about the battery life, and could you tell me what is  the true battery life when you listen flac music?

Well battery life isn't amazing on the X7 I do have to charge it fairly regularly..... Not kept a close eye but would say 6 or 7 hours is pretty close to what I get with mixed MP3 & flac files.
No lag at all in use and gapless works much better than it did on my DX50, the Fiio takes a couple of minutes to start up if you switch it off completely.
Battery life s probably the only other thing I miss from my Ibasso along with the 3 big buttons.... Touchscreen isn't so great when you are driving a lot.

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #25 of 40
think the popping sound is due to the sd card. I changed mine and never experience it again.

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:54 AM Post #27 of 40
After the latest firmware update I do believe the battery life has improved on my X7 which is a massive bonus for me....the next amp module now releasing for test and new cases/ tempered glass screen protector (which is excellent). I haven't played with BT yet so plan to do that later today.

Feb 25, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #28 of 40
I played around with WiFi and Bluetooth options.....all good, I can stream Tidal and any other services over WiFi without any issues and I linked up to my Bluetooth speaker with good results too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back