iBasso DX80 vs the Fiio X7...?
Mar 7, 2016 at 7:55 PM Post #31 of 40
SQ x7 what is greater than the DX80?

For you, since you just got the AK Jr, and have the grades, I'd easily say the X7 is better for you and your equipment. In general, the X7 is better; However, that's not to say that some aspects about the DX80 isn't better. For me personally, the DX80 is better not in SQ, but in form factor (very subjective), and price (not subjective). For me, it's hard to justify the price to my wife why the price is truly justified to buy the X7 over the DX80. In her opinion, a player shouldn't cost more than a 128gb iPod Touch. So to her she sees no reason to pay the extra $250 to get the X7. Honestly, there are a lot of people (average consumers) that believe the same. Therefore, the logical product to buy is the DX80 in that regards. As it's less than the iPod touch her sounds a lot better, plus has the dual SDCARD slots of r memory expansion.

In addition, for me and my earphones, it's more to my liking, since I (in general) own primarily warm to dark earphones. Therefore since the DX80 is bright to hot natured, it's a perfect fit together. Like I stated earlier, it's all about what works for you and your equipment and your own personal tastes.

I will end it by stating, yes, the X7 is the better of two in terms of SQ. due to a lot of reasons that will become boring to read, but that isn't to say someone who buys the DX80 will be disappointed by it. Especially if they don't want to spend the extra $300 to get the X7.. As it doesn't sound twice as good... But does offer amenities such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and the Android OS to make up for the price difference.

Mar 8, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #32 of 40
For you, since you just got the AK Jr, and have the grades, I'd easily say the X7 is better for you and your equipment. In general, the X7 is better; However, that's not to say that some aspects about the DX80 isn't better. For me personally, the DX80 is better not in SQ, but in form factor (very subjective), and price (not subjective). For me, it's hard to justify the price to my wife why the price is truly justified to buy the X7 over the DX80. In her opinion, a player shouldn't cost more than a 128gb iPod Touch. So to her she sees no reason to pay the extra $250 to get the X7. Honestly, there are a lot of people (average consumers) that believe the same. Therefore, the logical product to buy is the DX80 in that regards. As it's less than the iPod touch her sounds a lot better, plus has the dual SDCARD slots of r memory expansion.

In addition, for me and my earphones, it's more to my liking, since I (in general) own primarily warm to dark earphones. Therefore since the DX80 is bright to hot natured, it's a perfect fit together. Like I stated earlier, it's all about what works for you and your equipment and your own personal tastes.

I will end it by stating, yes, the X7 is the better of two in terms of SQ. due to a lot of reasons that will become boring to read, but that isn't to say someone who buys the DX80 will be disappointed by it. Especially if they don't want to spend the extra $300 to get the X7.. As it doesn't sound twice as good... But does offer amenities such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and the Android OS to make up for the price difference.

Hello and thanks for your very clear answer, it is true these players cost too much, I see just the price of DX80 but not that of ak jr or of x7 really too expensive for the quality they offer, I must say that compared to a jr ak samsung s3 there is short difference, a little disappointed.

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #33 of 40

Very well said.

I think if you put both in front of me and ask me to just take one away (money aside) I will take the X7.

However in this world of ever changing technology, I would rather save the money up for the next one.

To me the X7 is no doubt a more technically capable DAP.  But personally, all I want is a simple to use music player that sounds great and won't have to plug it in the wall until at least the end of the day.  Don't really care if has the ability to control a space shuttle or fly a rocket, I want a music player!

Firmware problem is an issue and it does bug me if the player is not doing what I expected it to.  But I don't think these things just happen to one company and not the other, so I don't think too much about it.

I bought the DX80 about two months ago now, although I still prefer the sound of my DX90, there is no denying that it is a great music play for its price.

I still constantly think about getting the X7 because of it sound signature, as I am a big fan of that Sabre DAC.  However the price difference is just a bit too much for me.  And that is to start with, you still need to get the AM02 or AM03.. etc. if you want to get the most out of it.

So all in all I think the X7 is a great DAP, but to me, considering my needs and the money, I vote for DX80

Victor

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #34 of 40
Very well said.

I think if you put both in front of me and ask me to just take one away (money aside) I will take the X7.

However in this world of ever changing technology, I would rather save the money up for the next one.

To me the X7 is no doubt a more technically capable DAP.  But personally, all I want is a simple to use music player that sounds great and won't have to plug it in the wall until at least the end of the day.  Don't really care if has the ability to control a space shuttle or fly a rocket, I want a music player!

Firmware problem is an issue and it does bug me if the player is not doing what I expected it to.  But I don't think these things just happen to one company and not the other, so I don't think too much about it.

I bought the DX80 about two months ago now, although I still prefer the sound of my DX90, there is no denying that it is a great music play for its price.

I still constantly think about getting the X7 because of it sound signature, as I am a big fan of that Sabre DAC.  However the price difference is just a bit too much for me.  And that is to start with, you still need to get the AM02 or AM03.. etc. if you want to get the most out of it.

So all iqn all I think the X7 is a great DAP, but to me, considering my needs and the money, I vote for DX80

Victor

Absolutely, if money was 't a factor, the X7 is the way to due to all the bells and whistles it has, and the modular amps section, as I love the Muses 02 amp for it's smooth highs yet vibrant highs.

But now you're not just talking about the $650 for the player, you have to add another $100 extra for each amp module you wish to buy. However, he's, still cheaper than a $1,000 where the majority of the Summit-Fi tier products are.. Which makes it a budget buy relatively speaking. But at twice the price of an iBasso DX80 a little hard to swallow.

As always, at the end of the days, there is a price difference for a reason. Whether that price difference is valid for you and your wallet, is completely up to you.. So believe the price jump is worth it, others don't.

All we can do is give you our impressions from our usage of the devices, but only you can decide which is the right choice for yourself.

As always, Happy listening everyone!! :beers::tophat:

Aug 5, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #36 of 40
I went to the store today :) I want to upgrade my Fiio X3-II (I just hate the sound signature of it). 
I gave the X7 a try and realized that Fiio sound signature is not for my ears at all... Its overall dry and harsh for me. Then i tried the DX80, and WOW ! My ears had an orgasm !
Once again, this tells me that theres no such a thing as a best player... Theres just the right sound for you...
Cant wait to get my DX80 next week :) 

Aug 6, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #37 of 40
  I went to the store today :) I want to upgrade my Fiio X3-II (I just hate the sound signature of it). 
I gave the X7 a try and realized that Fiio sound signature is not for my ears at all... Its overall dry and harsh for me. Then i tried the DX80, and WOW ! My ears had an orgasm !
Once again, this tells me that theres no such a thing as a best player... Theres just the right sound for you...
Cant wait to get my DX80 next week :) 

Well maybe it's also a question of the headphone sound character?

Anyway, I find the iBasso DX80 should be compared to the Fiio X5II rather than the X7, as they are both currently 399,-€ at amazon.

Has anyone compared them directly or do I have to offer myself for this ? 
gs1000.gif

Aug 6, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #38 of 40
Ugh, why is Ibasso not replacing the DX50 with an updated model? $300+ for the DX80, their new entry level model, is a bit too steep in my opinion.

Do you guys suggest the DX50 over the X3 II by the way? I would purchase the X3 II, but potential scroll wheel issues (identical to what I'm experiencing with my X1) makes me wary.

Aug 8, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #39 of 40
@dissembled 
I dont have any problems with the wheel on my X3, its perfect ! The player is very good overall. 

@MisterTwo I tried X3 and X7 with many headphones. Sound signature (tonality ?) is not for my ears and brain.
For sure , price and functionality wise DX80 compares with X5II... But again , sound wise i personally place DX80 above X7. Just because my brain ejects serotonin from DX80 and not really from X7...  
DX80 is really close to AK240 sound wise for me :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back