iBasso DX80 vs the Fiio X7...?
Dec 16, 2015 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

TechGamer

100+ Head-Fier
My Daily Driver IEMs are either IE 80s

Which one of the two would you suggest? 

I like loud music with good deep bass but not overpowering... I listen to pop and dubstep/edm... 

Thanks in advance! 

Dec 18, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #2 of 40
i tried both at stores and got myself the DX80.

X7 amp is pretty lacking. i had to turn up the volume to 105/120 on low gain to power a Hifiman RE600 16 ohm earphone. On the DX80 i only need 100/150 on low gain for the same earphone. Tried my Hifiman HE400 with the DX80, 130/150 on low gain.

sound is definitely more crisp clear and detailed on the X7... but seems too "thin" for my liking
X7 feels too much like a phablet which i don't like, interface is abit laggy

Dec 19, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 40
i tried both at stores and got myself the DX80.

X7 amp is pretty lacking. i had to turn up the volume to 105/120 on low gain to power a Hifiman RE600 16 ohm earphone. On the DX80 i only need 100/150 on low gain for the same earphone. Tried my Hifiman HE400 with the DX80, 130/150 on low gain.

sound is definitely more crisp clear and detailed on the X7... but seems too "thin" for my liking
X7 feels too much like a phablet which i don't like, interface is abit laggy

Well I kinda like the phablet design so that shouldn't be a problem...
And let's just assume that software updates get rid of the lag...
Then in the long run which one do you feel is better in terms of purely sound quality and I am new so can you please explain the hype about amp modules? Do you have to buy them separately? And what's wrong in having to turn up the volume?

Dec 19, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #4 of 40
it is best to test our both and decide for yourself... everyone has a different taste to the sound signature.

The X7 amp is lacking in power that's why i need to turn up almost to full volume...

i told myself perhaps should wait for more amp modules to be released then decide, this is one of the main reason why i decided to choose the DX80

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 40
it is best to test our both and decide for yourself... everyone has a different taste to the sound signature.

The X7 amp is lacking in power that's why i need to turn up almost to full volume...

i told myself perhaps should wait for more amp modules to be released then decide, this is one of the main reason why i decided to choose the DX80

Hmm... Thanks for your help, but I am afraid I wouldn't be able to test the iBasso ones.. There aren't any stores in my place!

Jan 6, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #6 of 40
What they mean, is each player sounds good. Each player is VERY capable of being the perfect player for a specific person. One thing to take into consideration, they are both VERY new players and are still working out kinks in Firmware.. So they both have the potential to be great players.
What it boils down to is the internals and which works for you.. In general, Wolfson chips lean towards warmer (more mid-Bass, less pronounced highs), Cirrus Audio Isually leans towards the more analytical-neutral side of the spectrum.. And ESS leans towards more Organic Natural tones..
Granted that's an over generalization.. As 1) sound is SO subjective depending on your tastes, and what device you're coming from..
2) So many interpretations of the same exact sound.

Give these players some time for the Firmware to mature a bit, and you'll be rewarded with astounding players! No matter which you choose.

Jan 6, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #7 of 40
By the way, I don't have any of the above yet, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the iBasso DX80.. For me it was the design reminiscent of a Porsche Design house, a decent size touchscreen, dual Cirrus Logic CS4398 (one for each channel) and a more powerful amp compared to the Fiio X3ii.. So I'm looking forward to Friday!!

Jan 7, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #8 of 40
By the way, I don't have any of the above yet, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the iBasso DX80.. For me it was the design reminiscent of a Porsche Design house, a decent size touchscreen, dual Cirrus Logic CS4398 (one for each channel) and a more powerful amp compared to the Fiio X3ii.. So I'm looking forward to Friday!!

Thanks a ton for the detailed info!
Really looking forward to your first impressions of the dx80 if your OK to share them with us!

Jan 7, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 40
The stock amp may be weak (great for me) but its flexibility to change amps makes it the winner hands down!

Jan 9, 2016 at 7:06 AM Post #11 of 40
Okay so here are my initial impressions Fiio X3ii vs iBasso DX80

First things first..
I bought these two players with my own money. I have no affiliation with either company. I am simply someone who is wanting to upgrade from my iPhone 6. Now.. I know what you all are going to say.. The iBasso DX80 is $360 the Fiio X3ii is only $180, so half the price. How dare you try and compare the two. All I can say is bare with me.. My reasoning, both have the Cirrus Logic CS4398 as their DAC chips. The thing I wanted to compare was how did the implementation of 2 Cirrus Logic CS4398s (1 for each channel) improve the sound from the Single chip execution, or is it all marketing and there was no discernible difference to be noted? In addition, was either of the above a valid step up to the essence of what a Hi-Res Player SHOULD sound like.

So as you can see, the iBasso is definitely a taller unit, just the same basic thickness.
From there.. Where to start?

Build quality:
X3ii is very well built, as the DX80 is as well. Both are primarily Aluminum bodies. Therefore also very light and sturdy. Where the X3ii felt small, the DX80 seemed to fit my hand just right for that secure grip you get with the X3ii's bigger brother X5ii.

Screen Quality:
The X3ii definitely is nowhere near as nice of a screen. From Pixel density to viewing angles. However, at half the price, sure, it's definitely acceptable. I have no real issue viewing it in the daylight as I'm at work on a work site or driving around.
The DX80 is definitely of Cellphone quality, therefore, you get all the benefits of the cellphone experience. So those looking to upgrade their player don't have to feel like they are degrading in screen to get better audio quality. One thing so far, hopefully will be improved with firmware updates, is the sensitivity and accuracy of the touchscreen. Perhaps an option to calibrate it by taping on a couple of edges. Either way, it's pretty good right now.

Okay.. So sound.. Once again.. This is still just an initial impressions, as I just got the DX80 this afternoon..

So jumping from an iPhone 6 to the X3ii was quite a pleasant jump. Nothing major, but definitely a noticeable difference. Easiest way to explain the jump is adding a quality amplifier like the Fiio E12A, Oppo HA-2, or the Cayin C5 to one of your favorite Smartphones. Definitely certain passages are clearer and cleaner (less distortion and congestion) on the X3ii than your current smartphones, especially my iPhone 6. That could be due to the larger soundstage to put everything.. But either way, it can be attributed to the abundance of power and Audio chip.

Now onto how it compares to the DX80.. Granted, it's only been a few hours of usage with the DX80, and it still has to be "burned in" more.. But so far..
There is already a noticeable jump in sound quality from the X3ii. With each adjustment of the EQ there is an increase or decrease in that frequency. Which overall means I have to adjust the sound less drastically to get the desired sound I prefer from a specific song. I love my Sub-Bass- (30hz) and a very mid-centric sound.. Therefore my overall EQ looks like an upside down U or really a lowercase n.
I can now understand why iBasso decided to use 2 CS4398s for the sound processing.. Each channel reproduces the sound effortlessly with ease. Details are easily discernible. Listening to The Beatles is mind altering.. Lol.. Never realized they had so many random noises and conversations going on in the background of the music.. Especially tracks from their Yellow Submarine era.. The Tesseract Polaris album was already amazing on the iPhone 6.. But now you get the instrument separation that one expects from a Hi-Res player.
One more thing I have to say about the DX80, usually with this much clarity, I usually suffer from "Ear fatigue" within a few minutes of listening, because usually I have to raise the mids up on most players, so with the fact that I don't have to do that on the DX80 and still get the same Clarity I want, I can listen to this at a comfortable volume and still get all the bass, mids, and highs I could ask for. Further more, since I don't have to raise it up as much background noise floor is also dead quiet. So it's definitely blacker of a background than the iPhone 6, and on par if not lower than the X3ii.

This DX80 is the jump I was looking for from a smartphone to a standalone Hi-Res DAP. I can't recommend this product enough! It's truly astonishing what iBasso has created with the DX80, as I believe this will be where they are planing on taking us with the DX200. Only it will be on that next plateau. Meant to compete with the top tier DAPs. I understand why they are discontinuing their DX50 & DX90 line up.. The DX80 as their entry level, and DX200 and their Top tier DAP.. And to be honest, the sound is good enough to compete with DAPs of up to about $600 anything more than that, and you start entering the next level of products like the Astell & Kerns, Luxury & Precision L5 Pro, or the Onkyo DP-X1, Sony NE-ZX2, or even the Fiio X7..
In any case.. Anyone looking for a TRUE step up from a smartphone and future-proof your mobile setup for at least a couple of years, and looking to spend less than $500.. Give this a shot.. You won't regret it. More to come after this breaks in more.. But as you can tell.. It's already made a fantastic impression on me. Well worth every penny of the $365 I paid for it with shipping.

Jan 10, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #12 of 40

Like Dynaway, I tried the DX 80 and X7 - in a store here in Manila.  But I walked away with the X7.
Crazy it may seem, yet again like Dynaway, my IEM of choice is also the RE 600s.

I’d been reading everything and asking questions about these 2 very nice players.

I agree that the X7 sounds slightly more crisp and detailed. But I think it is more than that- I think there is more sound - more extension, and if I had to guess, perhaps slightly more accurate (resolving) of the recording.
 I believe well mastered music is where this player steps out and shows it stuff. 
My 600s sound better than ever, especially at the top where I always wanted just a touch more.

The sound on the DX 80 was big, fat, round and warm ( and maybe more forgiving) to my ears and that was very hard to walk away from. I like the higher powered amps and this was no exception.
I felt the sound was an upgrade to my X5, more emotion, more fun.

After listening through those players - I now see why many folks want more than one.

So why the X7?

Before I even listened - ALL THE POSSIBILITIES! 

While I like the overall look of the player, I feel the DX 80 UI is still in the last decade ( or 2) and while it will get better with updates it still is what it is. I think some might say it is an improvement over an X5 - but I’m not so sure. (certainly it is nothing like a tablet)

The size , for me, was perfect for a dap. It did feel good in my hand but the bottom corner that lands in yer palm has an edge to it that truly started to bother me. (There was no case on it though.)
Price wise I think it is a bargain - I listen to a lot of Grateful Dead and that player would knock it out of the park for those recordings, lots of voltage in that amp and an analogue kind of sound.

The X7 on the other hand, because of its versatility and ease of use, can wear MANY hats including different sounding amps.  Just now I see no need for a different amp. I feel no power lacking in the X7 for my current situation, and I listen loud - often.
It does feel (in the hand) a solid step up from the DX 80 , and it should - pricing considered.
It looks great, feels great and can grow with my needs - I’m diggin that.
But what seals the deal for me is the modern interface and all the options of available apps/ styles to suit your needs.  MUCH more sound tweaking if you enjoy that kind of thing - I definitely do.

For now, mine is set to high gain and I smile when I strap in. I still have volume to spare. 

Nothing wrong with turning up the volume BTW!

You would need to separately purchase amps, however, if you felt you wanted something different. The X7s will ship with the IEM amp.
At least that is what Joe from Fiio advised me last week

Sound wise you cannot fail with either unit - it truly depends on your individual desires.

Final thought: The DX 80 is all about the music - The X7 is a premium experience of being all about the music.

Jan 10, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #13 of 40
I had to return two DX80s because both were defective. The national retailer was not surprised based on their experience with the DX80. So ...

I bought the FIIO X7 (delivery in a few days).

Overall, the impression I have of the DX80 is that it is so "yesterday". The X7 looks like a software and hardware platform that will support future innovations.

On a more concrete level, the DX80 navigation is weird; sometimes you swipe to get to the next screen, and at other times you click on a tiny arrow. Compounding the problem is that the text is tiny.

I just can't get past the DX80 quality control and uninspired architecture issues.

Jan 30, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #14 of 40
I bought the X7 and upgraded from a DX50, I loved my Ibasso and there are still elements I miss (mainly the 3 big buttons).

The sound quality on the DX50 was very good, I originally ordered the DX80 and I am certain that it would be an amazing player, delays in UK stock made me cancel my order and get the Fiio instead.

Everyone talks about sound quality as this is the most important factor in a player, but there is more to it. I love the Ibasso design and battery life was immense on the DX50...not so much with the X7, but it is still reasonable. The customer service with Ibasso was very good and Fiio is a whole new level...they design everything around feedback to tailor their products to their customers.
I mostly use my players through line out in my car (I spend more time in there than I have to spare with headphones) and the clarity and depth of sound is a huge step up from any other option available to me. With my Beyerdynamic T51 plugged in it is even more impressive listening to the X7, I mostly listen to hip hop and grime and I like the sound a lot.... Used to think I was a bass head until I found the DX50 getting probably too bassy after burn in and making my car vibrate along the road lol (I don't even have a sub). Took me ages to get used to the interface on both...you can see the benefits of each over time it is all about what you are used to and they do become familiar. Updates via the Fiio are so much easier as they are OTA WiFi like your mobile phone and the Bluetooth/WiFi is another bonus.
I hope this is of some help to anyone trying to make the same decisions I had to for upgrade....loads out there about sound and this is about living with it and day to day practicality.

Jan 30, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #15 of 40
Okay so here are my initial impressions Fiio X3ii vs iBasso DX80

First things first..
I bought these two players with my own money. I have no affiliation with either company. I am simply someone who is wanting to upgrade from my iPhone 6. Now.. I know what you all are going to say.. The iBasso DX80 is $360 the Fiio X3ii is only $180, so half the price. How dare you try and compare the two. All I can say is bare with me.. My reasoning, both have the Cirrus Logic CS4398 as their DAC chips. The thing I wanted to compare was how did the implementation of 2 Cirrus Logic CS4398s (1 for each channel) improve the sound from the Single chip execution, or is it all marketing and there was no discernible difference to be noted? In addition, was either of the above a valid step up to the essence of what a Hi-Res Player SHOULD sound like.

So as you can see, the iBasso is definitely a taller unit, just the same basic thickness.
From there.. Where to start?

Build quality:
X3ii is very well built, as the DX80 is as well. Both are primarily Aluminum bodies. Therefore also very light and sturdy. Where the X3ii felt small, the DX80 seemed to fit my hand just right for that secure grip you get with the X3ii's bigger brother X5ii.

Screen Quality:
The X3ii definitely is nowhere near as nice of a screen. From Pixel density to viewing angles. However, at half the price, sure, it's definitely acceptable. I have no real issue viewing it in the daylight as I'm at work on a work site or driving around.
The DX80 is definitely of Cellphone quality, therefore, you get all the benefits of the cellphone experience. So those looking to upgrade their player don't have to feel like they are degrading in screen to get better audio quality. One thing so far, hopefully will be improved with firmware updates, is the sensitivity and accuracy of the touchscreen. Perhaps an option to calibrate it by taping on a couple of edges. Either way, it's pretty good right now.

Okay.. So sound.. Once again.. This is still just an initial impressions, as I just got the DX80 this afternoon..

So jumping from an iPhone 6 to the X3ii was quite a pleasant jump. Nothing major, but definitely a noticeable difference. Easiest way to explain the jump is adding a quality amplifier like the Fiio E12A, Oppo HA-2, or the Cayin C5 to one of your favorite Smartphones. Definitely certain passages are clearer and cleaner (less distortion and congestion) on the X3ii than your current smartphones, especially my iPhone 6. That could be due to the larger soundstage to put everything.. But either way, it can be attributed to the abundance of power and Audio chip.

Now onto how it compares to the DX80.. Granted, it's only been a few hours of usage with the DX80, and it still has to be "burned in" more.. But so far..
There is already a noticeable jump in sound quality from the X3ii. With each adjustment of the EQ there is an increase or decrease in that frequency. Which overall means I have to adjust the sound less drastically to get the desired sound I prefer from a specific song. I love my Sub-Bass- (30hz) and a very mid-centric sound.. Therefore my overall EQ looks like an upside down U or really a lowercase n.
I can now understand why iBasso decided to use 2 CS4398s for the sound processing.. Each channel reproduces the sound effortlessly with ease. Details are easily discernible. Listening to The Beatles is mind altering.. Lol.. Never realized they had so many random noises and conversations going on in the background of the music.. Especially tracks from their Yellow Submarine era.. The Tesseract Polaris album was already amazing on the iPhone 6.. But now you get the instrument separation that one expects from a Hi-Res player.
One more thing I have to say about the DX80, usually with this much clarity, I usually suffer from "Ear fatigue" within a few minutes of listening, because usually I have to raise the mids up on most players, so with the fact that I don't have to do that on the DX80 and still get the same Clarity I want, I can listen to this at a comfortable volume and still get all the bass, mids, and highs I could ask for. Further more, since I don't have to raise it up as much background noise floor is also dead quiet. So it's definitely blacker of a background than the iPhone 6, and on par if not lower than the X3ii.

This DX80 is the jump I was looking for from a smartphone to a standalone Hi-Res DAP. I can't recommend this product enough! It's truly astonishing what iBasso has created with the DX80, as I believe this will be where they are planing on taking us with the DX200. Only it will be on that next plateau. Meant to compete with the top tier DAPs. I understand why they are discontinuing their DX50 & DX90 line up.. The DX80 as their entry level, and DX200 and their Top tier DAP.. And to be honest, the sound is good enough to compete with DAPs of up to about $600 anything more than that, and you start entering the next level of products like the Astell & Kerns, Luxury & Precision L5 Pro, or the Onkyo DP-X1, Sony NE-ZX2, or even the Fiio X7..
In any case.. Anyone looking for a TRUE step up from a smartphone and future-proof your mobile setup for at least a couple of years, and looking to spend less than $500.. Give this a shot.. You won't regret it. More to come after this breaks in more.. But as you can tell.. It's already made a fantastic impression on me. Well worth every penny of the $365 I paid for it with shipping.

Thanks a lot for sharing your opinion and helping the community! Would love to read your full review once your DX80s have burned in...!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back