iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 12, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #6,661 of 6,795
I kinda wish ibasso released a successor to the DX80. Like a DX200 without the whole android sheenanigans and at a more affordable price.

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #6,665 of 6,795
1, always have your album art named 'cover'
2, keep the album art in the same folder as the music
3, Update all album art using mp3tag

I have no issues anymore with album art not showing :)

I've been watching this for a couple of days and have a couple of questions and a comment on artwork and folder structures for the DX80.
I have updated all my album art to be named cover.jpg and placed them in the same folder as my music. I was having trouble before with some artwork not appearing while others did so hopefully this will resolve that. i'm rescanning the 2 cards now so I'll know soon I guess. BTW: I'm using the latest FW 6 also.

1. Some Titles have multiple albums or CDs and the way I have structured the folders is Artist/Title/CDn
where CDn = is the CD or Album number in the one title. It seems quite logical to do it this way but just thought i would ask if anyone has any other methods that may work better with the DX80?
2. I use Windows 7 and not familiar with updating tags so wondering what tags need to be updated in album cover art?
3. Before renaming all my album sleeves to cover.jpg and ensuring they were in the same folder as the music I had many album sleeves still appearing and not complying with the suggested naming or even folder placement. Now that I have standardised it according to jon parkers post (thanks jon) I am hoping it all works. Just thought I would mention that here is all.

:thumbsup::fingers_crossed::ksc75smile:

Jan 13, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #6,666 of 6,795
This is what I do as a standard now - some things I do because other players have issues. The following seems to work on everything!
Folder contains tracks + cover art always under 500kb (larger sizes can cause a delay as the player loads the music and THEN the artwork!)
I also add the
album art:
from the jpeg
within the folder
outside of the player (on the desktop)
for example if I use foobar2000 - I drag and drop the tracks into it and then select all the tracks > right click > tagging > attach pictures > cover
I make sure the
audio file itself track names are prefixed by 01. and NOT 01 or 01-parachutes. So the track would read 01. Parachutes

When I
tagg track names > I also add 01. as well as the name of the tracks - this is kind of a back up in case your player has an issue with the tagging or naming
Tagging: Artist name > Album name > track number AND Total number of tracks
NO more info than this

Classical tagging: Artist name = Johann Sebastian Bach
Album name = Brandenbueg Concertos [Mozart Orchestra]
If there is more than one CD I would
A, name all the files 01. > until the end through all CD's - so all the tracks are in one folder
Then you would need to retagg the files - takes a little while but worth it!!

VA: = Album name = Various
Artist name you can after each track: eg: 01. Parachutes [band name]

Personally I always search via Artist

I use foobar2000 or mp3 tagg for tagging - both seem to work very well
Mac's seem to have an issue of dissapearing taggs when you try to use the freshly taggs elsewhere afterwards ?
so i only tagg on PC
iTunes has a great tagging system which I also sometimes use but for commercial work I use mp3tagg

The above has given me problem free .flac and .mp3 playback. Most of it I learned in the University of Life! - Hope it helps :D

Jan 13, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #6,667 of 6,795
This is what I do as a standard now - some things I do because other players have issues. The following seems to work on everything!
Folder contains tracks + cover art always under 500kb (larger sizes can cause a delay as the player loads the music and THEN the artwork!)
I also add the
album art:
from the jpeg
within the folder
outside of the player (on the desktop)
for example if I use foobar2000 - I drag and drop the tracks into it and then select all the tracks > right click > tagging > attach pictures > cover
I make sure the
audio file itself track names are prefixed by 01. and NOT 01 or 01-parachutes. So the track would read 01. Parachutes

When I
tagg track names > I also add 01. as well as the name of the tracks - this is kind of a back up in case your player has an issue with the tagging or naming
Tagging: Artist name > Album name > track number AND Total number of tracks
NO more info than this

Classical tagging: Artist name = Johann Sebastian Bach
Album name = Brandenbueg Concertos [Mozart Orchestra]
If there is more than one CD I would
A, name all the files 01. > until the end through all CD's - so all the tracks are in one folder
Then you would need to retagg the files - takes a little while but worth it!!

VA: = Album name = Various
Artist name you can after each track: eg: 01. Parachutes [band name]

Personally I always search via Artist

I use foobar2000 or mp3 tagg for tagging - both seem to work very well
Mac's seem to have an issue of dissapearing taggs when you try to use the freshly taggs elsewhere afterwards ?
so i only tagg on PC
iTunes has a great tagging system which I also sometimes use but for commercial work I use mp3tagg

The above has given me problem free .flac and .mp3 playback. Most of it I learned in the University of Life! - Hope it helps :D

Very grateful for the advice. I'll check it all out and maybe reorganise all of my data. Already downloaded the Mp3tag. Fantastic. Thank you so much!!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jan 14, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #6,668 of 6,795
All my files are named 01 - whatever have embedded art 600x600 jpg. Folders contain a 600x600 jpg named folder and all my files are seen perfectly. I tag all my music with tag & rename or dbPoweramp on a windows 7 pc

Jan 16, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #6,670 of 6,795
dunno this cause of bugs on dx80 or my micro sd is problematic; I filled card 1 with pop, vocal, jazz, and card 2 with rock, metal, etc
seems that card #2 has some problem
the problems that occur so far :
- a song mixed into another song begin on 01:00 (B), total length same as previous song (A) and between 00:00 to 01:00 played as song A
- wrong info tags and or album art, song A showing info of song B and vice versa
- weird noise after a long silent track's end, like motor sound
some of those 'bugs' appear on card #2

Jan 30, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #6,671 of 6,795
I am running v1.6.0 on my iBasso DX80. Standard rez stuff has been playing fine since I got the device last week. I put my hirez on a new card today and stuffed it in excited to try 192 decoding. However, the player freezes every time I try to play a 192 file. 96 works just fine. Any ideas? I have reset the player and reformatted the card to exFAT. No dice.

(edit) It seems to be related to just one album that plays fine in other locations. Odd. It plays my other 192, 172, and 96 stuff just fine.

(edit 2) Even stranger -> When I feed the problematic album from my laptop to the player in DAC mode the album plays fine. The issue seems to be playing it locally on the device itself.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #6,674 of 6,795
I am running v1.6.0 on my iBasso DX80. Standard rez stuff has been playing fine since I got the device last week. I put my hirez on a new card today and stuffed it in excited to try 192 decoding. However, the player freezes every time I try to play a 192 file. 96 works just fine. Any ideas? I have reset the player and reformatted the card to exFAT. No dice.

(edit) It seems to be related to just one album that plays fine in other locations. Odd. It plays my other 192, 172, and 96 stuff just fine.

(edit 2) Even stranger -> When I feed the problematic album from my laptop to the player in DAC mode the album plays fine. The issue seems to be playing it locally on the device itself.

Is this album split on tracks or cue-based? I had such problem once, and splitting to separate tracks did help (a single large file may be too resource-consuming to process).

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-31_10-43-20.png
    upload_2018-1-31_10-43-20.png
    99 KB · Views: 0
Jan 31, 2018 at 2:01 AM Post #6,675 of 6,795
I put my hirez on a new card today and stuffed it in excited to try 192 decoding
I'd suggest you to re-encode it into flac, even if it is already in flac. There are forks of the generic flac encoder that are not 100% backward compatible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back