iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 25, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #6,151 of 6,795
So, I've had Fiio's new X5 for about a week now, and I must say that I'm still [COLOR=222222]thoroughly[/COLOR] impressed by the DX80's sound.  Whilst the X5 sounds a bit smoother, the thing that first intrigued me about the DX80 was it's sound stage. It's wide, but also immersive, surrounding. The X5 doesn't have this, and I especially noticed it on George Ezra's Blame It On Me

I found the last FiiO units I tried quite skilled technically, X3II being one of them, but it's that smoothness you mention doesn't agree with me. Like there's a light veil over the mid-range which strains my ears to retrieve sufficient detail, vocals particularly. The iBasso house sound is generally more vibrant, slightly more aggressive in resolution, detail and I much prefer this. My AK300 takes on that FiiO smoothness to a point I can't really live with it, not if I'm listening for a excitement and a thrill.

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #6,152 of 6,795
I found the last FiiO units I tried quite skilled technically, X3II being one of them, but it's that smoothness you mention doesn't agree with me. Like there's a light veil over the mid-range which strains my ears to retrieve sufficient detail, vocals particularly. The iBasso house sound is generally more vibrant, slightly more aggressive in resolution, detail and I much prefer this. My AK300 takes on that FiiO smoothness to a point I can't really live with it, not if I'm listening for a excitement and a thrill.

Well, I'm particularly interested to hear how the DX200 compares to the DX80...although I fear the DX200 would be considerably out of my budget 

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #6,153 of 6,795
Well, I'm particularly interested to hear how the DX200 compares to the DX80...although I fear the DX200 would be considerably out of my budget 

I expect previous owner's of any iBasso units to be very at home with DX200, it retains their house sound and more.

I'll pop back sometime next week. :)

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #6,154 of 6,795
  Has anybody here who owns the DX80 replaced it with the DX200 ?
If so how do they compare ?
Is the difference night and day type of thing ?

I too have the DX80 and the DX200...as well as the venerable DX100...

LOL um...to say the difference is night and day is downplaying it. They aren't in the same league at all. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #6,155 of 6,795
  I'm jumping back on the DX80 train, my brother has basically taken ownership of my last one so I found another cheap.

What's the gist on the best sounding firmare these days?

For me the last one, 1.5.8 hits the spot. Some folks find 1.3 more neutral

Jan 28, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #6,157 of 6,795
  Hi everyone, just got my dx80

Can anyone guide me on how to use its dac function with my pc? 
smily_headphones1.gif

I haven't used it as a DAC, to do this, I have other more serious things.

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #6,159 of 6,795
  I have a chance to buy an DX80 used, couples months old according to seller, says it has a hinky slot #1, tricky to put the micro sd card in but once in go to go. Stay away or take a shot? very reasonable price.

Why is the slot messed up? Did the current owner do something that caused a problem? Was it like that from the start, and they just didn't get it fixed? I mean, it's nice that they admitted there's a problem, but if it's only a couple months old I'd expect it to be in near mint condition.

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #6,160 of 6,795

Why is the slot messed up? Did the current owner do something that caused a problem? Was it like that from the start, and they just didn't get it fixed? I mean, it's nice that they admitted there's a problem, but if it's only a couple months old I'd expect it to be in near mint condition.

Assuming it was there from the get go, current owner didn't feel the need to pay international shipping for the needed fix, other than this it is in very good condition, still communicating with seller to see if once the card is in that no troubles exist, such as skipping or jitters or any other anomalies that may crop up.

Jan 29, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #6,161 of 6,795
  Assuming it was there from the get go, current owner didn't feel the need to pay international shipping for the needed fix, other than this it is in very good condition, still communicating with seller to see if once the card is in that no troubles exist, such as skipping or jitters or any other anomalies that may crop up.

Mine was wonky from the start too, USB port was a bit of a pain too. But yeah, I didn't feel like paying the shipping fee either 

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #6,163 of 6,795
 For me the last one, 1.5.8 hits the spot. Some folks find 1.3 more neutral

You were right mate, the DX80 arrived today on an earlier 1.4 (something) firmware. I had a quick listen then installed 1.5.8 and it's basically perfect for my 1Plus2.2.

Thanks!

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #6,164 of 6,795
Hi,

I tried searching through this topic and someone mentioned the same issue, but I couldn't find an answer. I'm having playback issues with 24-192 files. Crackling/lagging on multiple albums (every 17-18 seconds with at least one song, I think their all the same). Makes listening impossible. DSD is fine. I have two Kingston 128gb class 10 cards, I don't scan the cards but let it scan new albums when I start playing them for the first time. FW 1.5.8.. Any ideas? Thanks for any help!

I also have the issue of the player remembering where I am on a song at times and when the same song plays after maybe a week and hours of play it starts it from the middle. Happens daily.

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #6,165 of 6,795
  Hi,

I tried searching through this topic and someone mentioned the same issue, but I couldn't find an answer. I'm having playback issues with 24-192 files. Crackling/lagging on multiple albums (every 17-18 seconds with at least one song, I think their all the same). Makes listening impossible. DSD is fine. I have two Kingston 128gb class 10 cards, I don't scan the cards but let it scan new albums when I start playing them for the first time. FW 1.5.8.. Any ideas? Thanks for any help!

I also have the issue of the player remembering where I am on a song at times and when the same song plays after maybe a week and hours of play it starts it from the middle. Happens daily.

Try going to page 1 of this thread and use the tool to reinstall - fixed issues for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back