iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Feb 1, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #6,167 of 6,795

I have DX200. Partly the reason I picked up DX80 again was so I can compare for you guys. 

I also have DX90 so the entire iBasso trio. The bang for buck is too good.

Pop back in another week or so, I'll say some thoughts.

I'm really waiting for this because i'm about getting maybe a used ibasso dx80. Otherwise I would buy endgame dx200 :)

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #6,168 of 6,795
IIRC, Paul mentioned around the time the DX200 was released and firmware updates offered for that model, there would follow updates for the DX80. Any updates coming down the pike anytime soon for the DX80?? Thanks in advance!

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #6,169 of 6,795
  I'm really waiting for this because i'm about getting maybe a used ibasso dx80. Otherwise I would buy endgame dx200 :)

I found a used DX80 on ebay, and not disappointed at all, latest firmware on it, put in a 200gb & 128gb card, both quite full, scanned just fine with no problems, sq is very nice to my ears, of course some albums sound much much better than others, haven't used it enough to see how much battery time i'm going to get. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #6,170 of 6,795

DX200 sounds quite a lot more detailed, especially clearer, higher resolution and clarity, the refinement and separation is stronger, it's no doubt not only an upgrade, but an 'iBasso' style upgrade in house sound. DX80 is still a fine DAP with a touch of its own unique character, I'm not taking anything away from DX80 , it's recent owners or even my own unit. But it's really as you'd expect, if your IEMs or headphones have a high performance ceiling capable of extracting DX200's performance the gains are definitely there. Bassically, you will need a nice headphone to pull 100% of its potential.

On the other hand if you just like playing in the lower realms DX80 is still a great product in price to performance ratio. It was only last night I compared my AK300 with DX80, I would (personally) take the iBasso.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #6,172 of 6,795
What about dx200 hiss with high sensitivity low impedance iems? Dx80 with my re600-s hisses, dx90 was totally black. I had to buy iematch to avoid hiss with dx80.

I also have a re600 v2 so maybe glad I didn't buy your dx because I can't stay hiss....

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #6,174 of 6,795
What about dx200 hiss with high sensitivity low impedance iems? Dx80 with my re600-s hisses, dx90 was totally black. I had to buy iematch to avoid hiss with dx80.

I don't hear any noticeable hiss with my Tralucent hybird IEMs. From following the thread reports are very little, besides some members who run Zeus IEM which basically hisses with most players on the market. I've owned Hisound players in the past, I understand how distracting it can be. I'll always recommend a demo when possible but there's nothing to report from me.

Feb 7, 2017 at 4:33 AM Post #6,175 of 6,795
Are there any sound differences between stock and Lurker's firmware?

Not sure if I remember correctly from DX90 (had it some time ago), but is the Lurker's firmware basically Rockbox? Or is there a separate Rockbox firmware? If yes, are there also sound differences?

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #6,177 of 6,795
Are there any sound differences between stock and Lurker's firmware?

Not sure if I remember correctly from DX90 (had it some time ago), but is the Lurker's firmware basically Rockbox? Or is there a separate Rockbox firmware? If yes, are there also sound differences?

No Rockbox. It's a stock fw stripped from unnecessary services plus other tweaks. Check lurker0 signature for his website and infos on what he has tweaked. You can also choose stock fonts fw or modified fonts fw, which I did.

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #6,178 of 6,795
I sold my old DX80 and bought a Pioneer XDP-300R - it is a worthy upgrade for anyone wants a relatively affordable upgrade (instead of the DX200)

Advantages of the XDP-300R over the DX80:
- Full android UI for supporting streaming services and it could do all the usual android stuff like google play
- No hissing in the background, pitch black it seems. Better than the DX80 which has some noise when paired with certain earphones I realised (e.g. IE8)
- Much better resolution, especially when it comes to detail retrieval abilities - I had to listen harder to pick up on small details with the DX80
- Wider soundstage and better imaging

But then again, my music memory isn't the best and I didn't have the opportunity to AB-test both players. But nevertheless, I am really happy with the XDP-300R.

If the DX80 has Rockbox, I might have kept it

I still remember the times when the DX80 was launched with its early firmwares... the amount of bugs and slow scanning speed drove me nuts

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #6,179 of 6,795
  I sold my old DX80 and bought a Pioneer XDP-300R - it is a worthy upgrade for anyone wants a relatively affordable upgrade (instead of the DX200)

If the DX80 has Rockbox, I might have kept it

I still remember the times when the DX80 was launched with its early firmwares... the amount of bugs and slow scanning speed drove me nuts

On Amazon UK the Pioneer XDP-300R is 599.99 GBP.  The DX80 is 289 GBP.  So, Pioneer is more than twice the price.  It seems reasonable to expect a SIGNIFICANT improvement for twice the money.

On the other hand, DX200 is 749 GBP on preorder on AdvancedMp3Players.  DX200 versus Pioneer XDP-300R comparison would be more relevant!

Dx80 early firmwares = history.  No longer a (major) problem.

Just saying. 
wink_face.gif

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #6,180 of 6,795

On Amazon UK the Pioneer XDP-300R is 599.99 GBP.  The DX80 is 289 GBP.  So, Pioneer is more than twice the price.  It seems reasonable to expect a SIGNIFICANT improvement for twice the money.

On the other hand, DX200 is 749 GBP on preorder on AdvancedMp3Players.  DX200 versus Pioneer XDP-300R comparison would be more relevant!

Dx80 early firmwares = history.  No longer a (major) problem.

Just saying. 
wink_face.gif

I bought my XDP-300r for £230 with shipping directly from Amazon Japan. They are out of stock at that price.

BUT some people bought a few XDP-300R from Amazon Japan and started flipping them for £100-200 more on eBay. But those are all gone it seems - maybe they will resurface?

Grey imports from Japan in Hong Kong sells for £330-390 brand new

Therefore, this is why I have suggested that the XDP-300R is a viable item for upgrade at a lower price-point than the DX200 - if you are willing to search and wait

Yes, the 1.5.8 firmware has squashed a lot of bugs, it was a random statement as I was reminiscing when I was writing

Anyways, I am a happy camper now, XDP-300R with Etymotic ER4B @ 2.5mm balanced output

Users who are viewing this thread

Back