iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Sep 22, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #5,536 of 6,795
  This different vendor, is it an official ibasso vendor?

Obviously, because iBasso installs the batteries into DX80.

can they simply sell the battery separately?

Such batteries are bulk produced by an OEM order, in exactly ordered quantities. So, only iBasso may further distribute them.

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #5,538 of 6,795
Personally if the battery quits I shall be sending the item to Ibasso and not attempt on changing it myself as if I did I am sure the warranty would be voided.
I can understand the frustration of posting and having to wait for it to get back etc etc.

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #5,539 of 6,795
So I ask if they changed battery supplier, and from what production date.

Yes, this. I'm shopping right now for a dual uSD card DAP. I don't want to drop the $800+ on the QP1R but I'm not about to spend a dime on something with a crap battery that can't be replaced by the end user. I just hope that the DX200 which clearly shows a removable module will go back to the user replaceable battery. I'm not holding my breath, I'm betting it's a modular amp module like the X7.

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #5,540 of 6,795
  Personally if the battery quits I shall be sending the item to Ibasso and not attempt on changing it myself as if I did I am sure the warranty would be voided.
I can understand the frustration of posting and having to wait for it to get back etc etc.

Post warranty however, I would do it myself. Even if soldering is required, it's doable. I believe iBasso stated they would sell replacement batteries for quite some time.

Sep 22, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #5,541 of 6,795
  i just had my battery replaced by the service center.

This different vendor, is it an official ibasso vendor? can they simply sell the battery separately? i dont mind installing the battery myself.

A few of our distributors can replace batteries but most are sent back to us for servicing.

We are equally frustrated with the battery in some units. We paid more than the normal market cost for the battery as we desire the best quality. The batteries in most units are fine and the batteries we have been using for some time in the DX80 have proved to be excellent. If there is a problem with a battery we will replace it.

Post warranty however, I would do it myself. Even if soldering is required, it's doable. I believe iBasso stated they would sell replacement batteries for quite some time.

Shipping batteries is a major problem now when not in original equipment but as a separate battery. Most all carriers will not handle them. Also there are a couple of conducting ribbons on the board that you have to be careful of.  The DX80 isn't really a user replaceable battery.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Sep 22, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #5,542 of 6,795
Originally Posted by Paul - iBasso /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We are equally frustrated with the battery in some units. We paid more than the normal market cost for the battery as we desire the best quality. The batteries in most units are fine and the batteries we have been using for some time in the DX80 have proved to be excellent. If there is a problem with a battery we will replace it.

Thanks for taking the time to speak to our concerns. I appreciate it and knowing that this is something that a genuine concern reassures me. Is this battery issue something from newer or older units? Meaning, am I more likely to get a bad battery from old stock or waiting for this batch to clear from inventory?

Weird that battery in a device = ok, but battery by itself = not ok.

Well, at least they are not exploding. Right Samsung?

Sep 22, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #5,543 of 6,795
Mine just did 9 hours of flac playback with my hdj-2000 on 80 volume (high gain). Thats without the screen. Running on 1.5.8 :)

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #5,544 of 6,795
   A few of our distributors can replace batteries but most are sent back to us for servicing.

Shipping batteries is a major problem now when not in original equipment but as a separate battery. Most all carriers will not handle them. Also there are a couple of conducting ribbons on the board that you have to be careful of.  The DX80 isn't really a user replaceable battery.

It would be great if iBasso can simply sell the DX80 batteries separately and can have user replace it themselves (for out of warranty units)
Don't get me wrong it's a great DAP only drawback is the in-built batt.

Just like Moody said:
I myself would like to replace the battery myself even a little soldering or opening the DAP is concerned.
I don't mind buying the tools from you guys to pry open the DAP and simply replace the batt.

That's a great alternative, rather than just shipping the DAP back and forth and back which takes days or weeks.
This prevents additional shipping/tax/effort on both ends and it's a win win situation.

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #5,545 of 6,795
As battery life is topical recently and it's Friday afternoon and I can't listen to my DX80 because it's been RMA'd I thought I'd pull together some battery comparisons from DAP vendor websites to see how well endowed or otherwise the DX80 is.

Here is my data:

PlayermAhVoltsClaimed play time
DX8036003.8Up to 13 hrs
Cayin N542003.7~9 HRS
Cayin N656003.7~ 7 hrs
Fiio X533003.7>10 h (32ohm;normal volume with display off)
Fiio X735003.7about 10 hours (via simulated real world usage)
Astell & Kern AK7022003.7Not quoted
Lotoo PAW 5000  "Up to 10 hours" (source: AdvancedMp3Players)
Colorfly C1034003.7can play 8 hours

Seems like the DX80 is relatively well-endowed as regards mAh and has the highest claimed play time.  Though casual reading of this thread suggest no one hits 13 hours, though some get close (~11?)  But even if the majority of people hit 10 hours on a new DX80, that would seem very competitive.

Am I wrong?

The other issue, which I guess is only coming out of the woodwork now the DX80 is a year or so old, is how the battery life deteriorates over time, though this would be hard to analyse given everyone's hugely different usage and recharging patterns.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to getting my replacement DX80.  Have had to revert to Cowon S9 - awesome battery life but the sound just isn't near the DX80!

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #5,546 of 6,795
  As battery life is topical recently and it's Friday afternoon and I can't listen to my DX80 because it's been RMA'd I thought I'd pull together some battery comparisons from DAP vendor websites to see how well endowed or otherwise the DX80 is.

Here is my data:

PlayermAhVoltsClaimed play time
DX8036003.8Up to 13 hrs
Cayin N542003.7~9 HRS
Cayin N656003.7~ 7 hrs
Fiio X533003.7>10 h (32ohm;normal volume with display off)
Fiio X735003.7about 10 hours (via simulated real world usage)
Astell & Kern AK7022003.7Not quoted
Lotoo PAW 5000  "Up to 10 hours" (source: AdvancedMp3Players)
Colorfly C1034003.7can play 8 hours

Seems like the DX80 is relatively well-endowed as regards mAh and has the highest claimed play time.  Though casual reading of this thread suggest no one hits 13 hours, though some get close (~11?)  But even if the majority of people hit 10 hours on a new DX80, that would seem very competitive.

Am I wrong?

The other issue, which I guess is only coming out of the woodwork now the DX80 is a year or so old, is how the battery life deteriorates over time, though this would be hard to analyse given everyone's hugely different usage and recharging patterns.

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to getting my replacement DX80.  Have had to revert to Cowon S9 - awesome battery life but the sound just isn't near the DX80!

Pete, has yours gone back because of the battery ?
If so have you sent it back to China or to the UK supplier in Scotland as am presuming you purchased yours from Scotland.

Sep 23, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #5,547 of 6,795

Pete, has yours gone back because of the battery ?
If so have you sent it back to China or to the UK supplier in Scotland as am presuming you purchased yours from Scotland.

Hi there,

Yes to Scotland but no to because of the battery.

My DX80 died for about 45 minutes on 15th Sept. I was listening to music and battery was about 70% when I started. After ~30 minutes listening it just stopped.

When I tried to switch it on I got the startup 'DX80' screen followed by some physical clicks from the player and then the "See you" screen.

I tried plugging it into my charger but it made no difference.

I tried holding the on/off button and '+' to get to the system menu to try a factory reset but it just repeated the same behaviour.

Then, around 45 minutes later I tried starting it up again and, amazingly, it worked!

It's worked fine till the start of the week, when I started it up and it played a few seconds and then died. This time, after a few seconds, I could start it up again and it's played fine.

I described this to my supplier, https://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk as the device is around 9 months old and they recommended that I RMA it.  (I'd like to give them a positive plug - I've bought several players from them over the years and their customer service has never been anything other than outstanding.)

The other issue I had with that DX80, which I also explained to AdvancedMp3Players, is that the card slots were not cleanly releasing the cards.  I had had to tease them out with a penknife and tweezers.  I am positive I never put them in incorrectly or with excessive force.

I'm happy to persevere with the DX80 because I think it has an excellent sound quality and a decent interface.  No device is ever perfect but for the money, assuming the replacement device works correctly, I think it represents good value for money.  (Queue an avalanche of contradictions!
wink.gif
)

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #5,548 of 6,795
The battery has gone from bad to really awful. Had contacted iBasso, pending their reply. The seller won't help return the unit until i got email from iBasso saying it should be returned for battery replacement.

Still contemplating to return the unit through the seller though. He might take a few weeks before shipping them off. But to send it on myself, not pretty sure if i'm willing to fork out my money for a unit under warranty, with a battery issue since day 1. Took me 5 months before i finally totally give up on DX80.

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #5,550 of 6,795
I also got mine from them Paul and I totally agree they have excellent customer service.
My slots are the same and am never sure they have inserted well so after they click in place I release them and see if they  bounce back up when I press them up and down just to be on the safe side.
The first card I inserted got fried as I had thought it had clicked in place but had not, luckily it was only  a cheap 32gb one.
I now have 2 Sandisk 128gb inserted which I never remove and one of them does not work in one of the slots but works in the other slot, no big deal but very strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back