iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jul 10, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #4,938 of 6,795
New bug for me, yay. Can't scroll past around M in my artist list. DX80 freezes, then crashes every time. Too many artists for the incompetently coded firmware (1.3.3) to deal with, I guess. Shame the specs didn't mention this when I was researching DAPs.

I've had this thing since March and neither it, nor the defective one they already replaced have ever worked correctly. Hoping the next FW is functional, but not optimistic.

It will be sad to see iBasso go out of business, since they theoretically fill an important gap in the market. But the person they have doing the firmware is just not up to the task.

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:41 AM Post #4,940 of 6,795
New bug for me, yay. Can't scroll past around M in my artist list. DX80 freezes, then crashes every time. Too many artists for the incompetently coded firmware (1.3.3) to deal with, I guess. Shame the specs didn't mention this when I was researching DAPs.

I've had this thing since March and neither it, nor the defective one they already replaced have ever worked correctly. Hoping the next FW is functional, but not optimistic.

It will be sad to see iBasso go out of business, since they theoretically fill an important gap in the market. But the person they have doing the firmware is just not up to the task.

We won't be going out of business. PM me if you want to try a FW that will record what is going on with your dap so we can try and figure out what is going on with your DX80.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jul 11, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #4,941 of 6,795
Here's a scanning issue I'm having that I haven't heard mentioned yet: after a full scan, my DX80 starts slowly "forgetting" songs.

Two nights ago, while browsing the album menu, I noticed several albums were missing tracks. If I went to the file browser where the incomplete album was, I could manually rescan the folder and that would fix it. No big deal.

I figured the last scan I did missed a few tracks, so I did a full, successful-seeming scan of both cards (2x 128gb), with a result of 7009 tracks. Seemed right.

Well, the next night I checked, and I had 6976 tracks listed. Last night: 6937.

What gives? Any ideas? Not the worst problem in the world, just seems really weird and I was wondering if any one else has/had this issue.

Wanted to bump this one. Getting a good full scan with Lurker0's 1.4.2, but it's impermanent - the FW slowly forgets songs, apparently at random, and it seems to be happening when powering up (or down) (i.e., it doesn't happen while the unit is in use).

Anyone dealing with this?

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #4,942 of 6,795
Wanted to bump this one. Getting a good full scan with Lurker0's 1.4.2, but it's impermanent - the FW slowly forgets songs, apparently at random, and it seems to be happening when powering up (or down) (i.e., it doesn't happen while the unit is in use).

forgets songs?
blink.gif

Jul 11, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #4,943 of 6,795

I have never had that happen. Has it always done this and is it associated with the same SD card or both? I would try the Batch Tool on the first page just to make sure you have a clean FW install, even when changing FW's maybe something got left behind that is messing with the memory (just a guess). 

Jul 11, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #4,944 of 6,795

True, for me too. The number of songs in the playlist (shown on bottom of image cover, n/total) decreases.
Each time i start the device, it's less than the last time, say a dozen less.
To be more specific, at start, it shows always 1/0 for the current song. The "real" total number commes with the next song...

Jul 11, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #4,946 of 6,795
I recently took my DX80 on a long road trip to see how it fared in the hot sun under my windshield, playing through one of those weak little FM transmitters that you can buy for cars without a proper 1/8" input. Throughout the course of the trip, using 1.4.2, the only firmware issue I ran into was a null metadata bug with three tracks on one of my scans. On the hardware side, there were a couple times that I had to position the player directly in front of an AC vent to let it cool down, since it does have a tendency to get hot. I'm hoping that the next update fixes the null issue that I had, but overall this is a better portable experience than many other high-end DAPs I've had the displeasure of taking on the road.

Jul 11, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #4,947 of 6,795
I am running FW1.3.3 with 17074 tracks as constant rate 320kbs MP3s with embedded artwork across two 128gb cards. This works very well with very few glitches at all and all files found. I can easily listen for a full journey of five hours business travel without any izsue at all.

FW 1.4.2 was more slick but did not scan perfectly for me. I tried the Lurker version. I have updated my old DX50 with the new firmware. Now that it and the DX90 have new FW I look forward to a new FW for the DX80. I do not need the music scan to run in parallel with playing music which I believe added complication, just the best experience in using the player with such as quicker start up and scan.

Is there an estimated arrival for new DX80 FW? With a little patience I have found that iBasso FW does get to the right point after a few releases. I saw the update from Paul on the other thread after posting this so welcome any further update. Thank you.

Jul 11, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #4,948 of 6,795
I just recently purchased the DX80, again. I have never had any issues with any of the FW's I used (1.1.2, 1.1.4, 1.3.3 and now 1.4.2). With 1.4.2 I scanned 2 cards (Sandisk 128gb & 200gb). And only 2 files came up with a null value. These 2 files were fairly recent songs added to my music catalog. I re-tagged the files using mp3Tag, re-scanned and everything scanned correctly. A lot of folks want to bash iBasso firmware, while some might have legitimate issues; I think for the majority a lot of issues could be avoided with properly tagged, clean music libraries (just music files and JPEG for album art. I always delete any unnecessary files (I.e. txt, pdf, etc that might have downloaded with the music). Not trying to step on any toes, just providing friendly advice.

Jul 11, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #4,949 of 6,795
I just recently purchased the DX80, again. I have never had any issues with any of the FW's I used (1.1.2, 1.1.4, 1.3.3 and now 1.4.2). With 1.4.2 I scanned 2 cards (Sandisk 128gb & 200gb). And only 2 files came up with a null value. These 2 files were fairly recent songs added to my music catalog. I re-tagged the files using mp3Tag, re-scanned and everything scanned correctly. A lot of folks want to bash iBasso firmware, while some might have legitimate issues; I think for the majority a lot of issues could be avoided with properly tagged, clean music libraries (just music files and JPEG for album art. I always delete any unnecessary files (I.e. txt, pdf, etc that might have downloaded with the music). Not trying to step on any toes, just providing friendly advice.

just curious why do you sell your previous dx80

Jul 11, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #4,950 of 6,795
just curious why do you sell your previous dx80

I upgraded to the ZX100, but after using it for several months I felt the ZX100 had more background noise than I liked. I actually think the DX80 has a pretty dark background, contrary to what others say here on this thread. Then I tried out the DP-X1, which is probably the best sounding DAP that I have heard. I sent it back because I could use the money for other things (saving up for an automobile for my 15 year old son). So I had about $300 to purchase a DAP. It was between the DX80 and X5II, both of which I had previously used. So, I went back to DX80; as I prefer the touch screen opposed to the scroll wheel and I feel the DX80 is a little more dynamic and detailed over the X5II (which is still a great DAP for the price. I especially like the looks of the new black version).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back