iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jul 7, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #4,921 of 6,795
Well last time I use dx80 it still played from nowhere at a track, mostly repeated after 5 - 10 tracks played

yes i do hope they can fix this issue. im using 1.3.3 fw nw which dont have this issue.
the latest 1.4.2 is buggy

Jul 8, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #4,922 of 6,795
  Had one of those glorious events today sitting on the deck in the back garden with my DX80 plugged into a Topping NX2 and my HD650's listening to  Marillion's "Script For a Jester's Tear". I do not think I have ever enjoyed this album so much even having heard it many times.

Oooh man...love that (imo classic) album!!! Such sweet memories
rolleyes.gif

Even went to a concert when Fish was still in the band => great show/performance
beerchug.gif

Jul 8, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #4,924 of 6,795
does the fw change the sound sig?

yes i do hope they can fix this issue. im using 1.3.3 fw nw which dont have this issue.
the latest 1.4.2 is buggy

Unfortunately I use 1.3.3 L4 which I consider less buggy than original ibasso fw, some said it just a placebo effects but I can feel each fw has different sound sig

Jul 8, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #4,927 of 6,795
  does the fw change the sound sig?

Yes, to my ears it does. Everything above 1.1.4 sounds more analytical, more harshness. ymmv
As you can guess, i'm still on 1.1.4. Best soundquality, not bugfree, but then again, all FW's have their issues. So i just go with the best sound for me.

Jul 8, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #4,929 of 6,795

Hello everyone,

First time poster and new owner of an iBasso DX80! 
smile_phones.gif

I’ve been listening to this piece of hardware for a few weeks now, and truly like what I’ve heard so far. The build quality is fantastic and I love the solid buttons.

I’m using some well used Grado SR60’s that I’ve had for years (love these little cans) but am looking to upgrade to possibly some ATH-M50x Professional Monitor Headphones or others but I'm not quite sure what to look for or what works best for the iBasso.

I am using Lurker’s 1.4.2 version and have not tried any other firmware. I’m going to try 1.3.3 due the overwhelming posts referencing it being “better” (which I know is subjective). I am using the default completely flat EQ in the settings. I listen to songs at 70 – 75 or so with low gain. I jump back and forth between low and high.

I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about audio but I am no means an expert and have quite a few questions about this device and its functions that perhaps some of you experts can answer:

1.)  Is there a particular reason why the battery drains so quickly? I have set my display brightness to almost the lowest setting, and even on a full charge, with the screen “off” while playing, I can go from 100 to 90 in about 15-20 minutes. Can anything be done to enhance the charge?

2.)    What is the difference between high and low gain? I realize one makes it “louder” but the same loudness can be achieved on low gain if one notches the volume past 80 or so.

3.)    What does the digital filter do and what difference does it make? I can’t discern any audible difference between the two toggling back and forth.

4.)    I’ve noticed while playing some songs, there are “pops” or clicks when playing files, that suddenly don’t appear when playing again. In addition, the song will skip to a strange part of the song when going into the next track. For example, track 1 will be playing, it ends, then jumps to 30 seconds into song 2.

5.)    I’ve also noticed that with far shorter tracks (maybe 10 seconds or less) the song doesn’t play fully, it is cut off around 8 seconds while not finishing.

I apologize for so many questions! Overall I am very pleased with my iBasso. I’ve used an older 3rd generation iPod for so many years, the difference is night and day. I figure if I get some better headphones and let the iBasso burn in for a while, it maybe improve some of my issues.

Many thanks and may your ears be full of rich, warm sounds!
beerchug.gif

Jul 9, 2016 at 6:46 PM Post #4,931 of 6,795
DigitalElixir:

I happen to have both the SR60 and ATH-M50. I'm sure you'll be happy with the M50x. Much richer bass. One of the reasons I bought the DX80 was because it can drive a lot of different headphones without the need to an external amp.

1) Your battery drain does seem a little bit high. I don't know what you can do about it that you already haven't tried. The SR60's have 32ohm impedance and shouldn't be taxing the amp too hard. The player's CPU does have to work harder (and use more current) when playing higher resolution files. What are you listening to? Also, what happens if you plug in the burn-in cable and play the DX80 for the same amount of time? Is the battery loss any different?

2) As for the difference in high/low gain, that comes into play with headphones that need more power to play properly. The SR60's will play fine at the low gain setting. But as an example, my Hifiman HE-400S would have to be at maximum volume on the low gain setting. On the high gain setting they play fine at around 100. That leaves some headroom.

3) The digital filter has been mentioned here off and on. iBasso's explanation of this feature is kind of vague. Personally, I don't see much of a difference. Maybe with different headphones this filter makes sense, I don't know what to tell you
blink.gif
 I'm sure somebody here can tell you better about this.

4) The pops you mentioned hearing has been mentioned in this thread many times. Some people have a chronic issue with this, some intermittent and some not at all. It's usually resolvable by trying one of the following: 
   Factory reset and rescan
   Reformatting the SD card and recopying all of you music onto it. Some say FAT32 is better than exFAT for the SD card. 
You mentioned having a song skip to a section in the middle when going to the next track. Yeah, I see this every once in a while also. A bug I guess. If I see my DX80 doing this I do a factory reset and that has always resolved it. 

5) Not playing the full song and ending early. Yup, that's another known bug. Personally I haven't run across that one.

But, enjoy your DX80. It is an awesome DAP, despite the little glitches. The most important feature of all - how it sounds, is it's best quality.

Jul 9, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #4,932 of 6,795
I agree that dx80 repeated some of tracks, not in sequence I mean, but I think I has 300+ songs in it but it keeps playing  about 20 same tracks...
and also I though it has a bad habit remembering last track position and playing it from last position if it reach that track

Jul 9, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #4,933 of 6,795
  I agree that dx80 repeated some of tracks, not in sequence I mean, but I think I has 300+ songs in it but it keeps playing  about 20 same tracks...
and also I though it has a bad habit remembering last track position and playing it from last position if it reach that track

whats yr fw?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back