iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 20, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #2,146 of 6,795
Just tested a demo DX80 alongside with my Dx50 and X5ii from my friend. DX80 definitely provides a smoother and softer interpretation. Where the X5ii with a slightly stronger sounded body, not by much of a margin yet noticeable. I would subscribe the bass from X5ii is a bit more 'pack a punch' much more forward and impactful. As well by no means it's overpowered in compare to the DX80.

The DX80 provides a much wider soundstage and a slightly more intimidating vocal. Where the X5ii comes with a slight touch tougher, or maybe better when listening male vocal.

For the UI I prefer the one from the DX80, it's more user friendly to use and overall it's smoother in the input respond.

I'm looking forward to purchase a DX80 later this year. I would well be a huge upgrade to my DX50.

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #2,147 of 6,795
Ota of clicks, pops and thuds when I go from song to song.... Pretty ridiculous, is this issue ever going to get attention?

That issue has had a lot of attention here in this thread and the 2 other major DX80 threads. 
Ibasso DX80
iBasso DX80 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here
The short version: Ibasso has stated that its a hardware issue, inherent to the use of Cirrus Logic chips(?) , wont be solved by FW. Some experience the thuds/plops, some don't. some hear it louder, some hear it softer; might have to do with sensitive iem, or not. The quality of the SD-card might also be involved. Some differences in thud/plop between FW's have been reported though. 

Some of the clicks etc, are from the newer cards and we have the fix coming up in the next FW. The low level thump that some get when changing songs or using pause or play is from the dac chip and the larger capacitors that we use in conjunction with the chip.  The Cirrus chip has a poorly implemented mute function that does not work effectively as it should.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 20, 2016 at 1:18 PM Post #2,148 of 6,795
OK I understand, maybe there will be usb put someday as well?

Some of the clicks etc, are from the newer cards and we have the fix coming up in the next FW. The low level thump that some get when changing songs or using pause or play is from the dac chip and the larger capacitors that we use in conjunction with the chip.  The Cirrus chip has a poorly implemented mute function that does not work effectively as it should.

Ok
Maybe some day there will be usb out? Really hoping so

Jan 20, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #2,151 of 6,795
Hello, got mine 2 days ago, i just have a few suggestions :)
Maybe add a search bar (i get crazy searching for the songs sometimes), a date and a clock would be nice i guess and maybe fix the fact that when in random mode if the "previous" button is pressed, it would return another random song instead of the previous one, sometimes it gets annoying.. Thank you for your attention :)

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #2,153 of 6,795
I do note that my random play is not as random as it could be. I hear the same songs fairly frequently and others never. Perhaps a different algorithm could be tried in a future update.

Also, a simple "Meier" crossfeed on/off would be nice!

Jan 20, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #2,154 of 6,795
I already told you ... April 1st. Year 2525 I reckon.

Maybe you should read up on what you are asking, Then it would dawn on you why nobody replies and why I am having fun pulling your leg....

Cheers.

But I know.... I'm just hopefully.

I'm considering buying a cheap smartphone now just to drive my mojo, because usb out offers better quality of sound

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #2,155 of 6,795
Good day,

After a lot of research and reading 144 pages of this thread I went ahead and placed an order.  I have a few quick questions to help alleviate some of my concerns.  Admittedly, I have never heard of ibasso until a few days ago.  Unfortunately my ipod video (5.5) took a recent crap on me.  The hard drive failed.  I debated upgrading the hard drive and keeping this unit or looking for something new.  I have had this ipod for around 10 or so years.  The only thing I ever had to replace was the battery (just once).  Eventually I discovered RockBox and Flac. This transformation was epic.  I greatly appreciate the wolfson DAC and high resolution at my finger tips.  It produced a warm sound with a good amount of detail.  You could better hear the separation of the instruments.  This was truly ahead of its time (w/ rockbox).  I still rock an alpine 9855 in my car.  The jl 13w7 and xtant x1001 now resides in a closet as it is a bit much in my old age.  I also still own a sharp 722 mini disc player/recorder.  This produces pretty good sound and was great for recording live shows (mostly socal reggae) off the soundboard back when I was a youth. My main system is an older pioneer 5.1 with jbl s38 series 1s.  My amp needs to be upgraded but i still love these speakers.  My next purchase may very well be a yamaha a-s501 although I have read reviews which claim this unit can be a little bright.  Unfortunately, most big box retailers don't carry products I care to audition so I have to rely on the internets.  I apologize for the lengthy introduction.  Now for the questions.

1. How does this compare to my 5.5 gen ipod using rockbox and flacs?
2. I typically like to see a teardown of the product and have not been able to find anything.  Does anyone have images or any information regarding the battery and future replacement?  The ipod battery was not removable but I can read instructions and had no trouble replacing.  Will this be a similar situation?
3. How long will ibasso typically support a product of this nature?  I hate to see a company roll out a new product and forget about thr old.  Luckily for the ipod rockbox came along.  I did look the website for ibasso and saw a recent firmware upgrade for the dx90 which is encouraging.  I believe this product is approximately 2 years old.  Additionally, I believe the dx50 also had a similar lifespan.  This is a promising sign. I tend to keep my audio gear indefinitely. based on my ipod and mini disc experience 10 years would not be out of the question.
4. Can anyone recommend a good two channel amplifier (integrated or not) to pair this device with?  I will be using this as a dac for my pc but i plan to put most of my music to memory cards.  Additionally i refuse to rid myself of my jbl s38s1s.
5. Does anyone have experience with these new magnetic breakaway cables for usb and 3.5mm headphone jacks.  id like to leave these in permanently as jacks tend to get worn out.  Do these negatively impact sound quality?

Jan 20, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #2,156 of 6,795
Good day,

After a lot of research and reading 144 pages of this thread I went ahead and placed an order.  I have a few quick questions to help alleviate some of my concerns.  Admittedly, I have never heard of ibasso until a few days ago.  Unfortunately my ipod video (5.5) took a recent crap on me.  The hard drive failed.  I debated upgrading the hard drive and keeping this unit or looking for something new.  I have had this ipod for around 10 or so years.  The only thing I ever had to replace was the battery (just once).  Eventually I discovered RockBox and Flac. This transformation was epic.  I greatly appreciate the wolfson DAC and high resolution at my finger tips.  It produced a warm sound with a good amount of detail.  You could better hear the separation of the instruments.  This was truly ahead of its time (w/ rockbox).  I still rock an alpine 9855 in my car.  The jl 13w7 and xtant x1001 now resides in a closet as it is a bit much in my old age.  I also still own a sharp 722 mini disc player/recorder.  This produces pretty good sound and was great for recording live shows (mostly socal reggae) off the soundboard back when I was a youth. My main system is an older pioneer 5.1 with jbl s38 series 1s.  My amp needs to be upgraded but i still love these speakers.  My next purchase may very well be a yamaha a-s501 although I have read reviews which claim this unit can be a little bright.  Unfortunately, most big box retailers don't carry products I care to audition so I have to rely on the internets.  I apologize for the lengthy introduction.  Now for the questions.

2. I typically like to see a teardown of the product and have not been able to find anything.  Does anyone have images or any information regarding the battery and future replacement?  The ipod battery was not removable but I can read instructions and had no trouble replacing.  Will this be a similar situation?
3. How long will ibasso typically support a product of this nature?  I hate to see a company roll out a new product and forget about thr old.  Luckily for the ipod rockbox came along.  I did look the website for ibasso and saw a recent firmware upgrade for the dx90 which is encouraging.  I believe this product is approximately 2 years old.  Additionally, I believe the dx50 also had a similar lifespan.  This is a promising sign. I tend to keep my audio gear indefinitely. based on my ipod and mini disc experience 10 years would not be out of the question.
4. Can anyone recommend a good two channel amplifier (integrated or not) to pair this device with?  I will be using this as a dac for my pc but i plan to put most of my music to memory cards.  Additionally i refuse to rid myself of my jbl s38s1s.
5. Does anyone have experience with these new magnetic breakaway cables for usb and 3.5mm headphone jacks.  id like to leave these in permanently as jacks tend to get worn out.  Do these negatively impact sound quality?

I believe dx90 is better,

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #2,157 of 6,795

So, does it mean the clicks can & will be fixed, but nothing can be done about the thump ?

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #2,158 of 6,795
The question Istill have, is can we get a Parametric EQ? Or atleast fix the EQ we have right now? The sub bass doesn't seem to be as thick as it used to be when it was on FW 1.1.4.
Which brings up another question of mine that was never answered.. Why do EQ's always start in the 30'ish range? Bass drops fall off quickly once they pass the 30 hz range.

Jan 21, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #2,160 of 6,795
Answers in bold.

Quote:

iBasso house sound is quite detailed with a vibrant nature. DX80 leans on the warmer side but still manages great levels of detail and resolution. It should not be a problem outclassing your iPod providing you have headphones able to retrieve DX80's full performance.

You can find some pictures of the internals on iBasso website. While not a full tear down they're open to display the components used. iBasso have always stated they will support their products even after production (this is why we apprecaite iBasso). If you ever need the battery replaced it won't be a problem within reason of the near future.

Usually the common life span of an audiophile player is anywhere between 2-3 years (within reason). This hobby moves much faster than the mainstream market, especially with the likes of Chinese companies and fast moving fierce competition. However, of all the companies out there iBasso are dedicated to releasing firmware updates and sticking by the product until its stable, add features and feel need to update. Some other companies in this niche market are far less dedicated.

Head to the full size amps forums.

No, I haven't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back