iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 18, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #2,116 of 6,795

In DAC mode, the Amp is always turned on (which is normal) and therefore you are able to hear hiss in quiet passages with sensitive in-ears (but not with full-sized cans).
When you are using the DX80 on its own as native music player, the Amp section is turned off when playback is paused -> no hiss for sure.

Everybody gets the same SNR from the DX80, however not everybody's ears are equally sensitive to hiss, not everybody is listening at the same volume and not every headphone/in-ear is equally sensitive (with full-sized HPs and insensitive IEMs, there will be no audible hiss even for those people who are sensitive to such things and listening at rather low volume).

If you are a bit interested in reading about hiss, here's an article by Shure: http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3830/~/hiss-and-noise-when-using-shure-earphones
The German one is better and more detailed, but this one's okay as well (expect for the thing with the damper/attenuator mentioned at the bottom which surely lowers the IEMs' impedance and therefore lowers/eliminates hiss but also skews the frequency response of multi-driver in-ears).

It's hissing while I watch youtube videos. This can't be normal...

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:41 PM Post #2,117 of 6,795
Just some extracts from my DIGNIS FOVEO leather case for the DX80 review (the whole thing can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/dignis-foveo-case-for-ibasso-dx80/reviews/15036):

​
Preamble:

[...] One of their latest products is the FOVEO case (http://dignis.co.kr/product/detail.html?product_no=112) for the iBasso DX80, a really nice case that I will take a look at in this review. It is available in four different colours (Camel, Dark Brown, Black and Red), I got the Camel coloured case.
The price directly from DIGNIS is 48000 KRW (~ $40) plus shipping. [...]

Ordering:

International customers are also very welcome at DIGNIS. For ordering, you just need to send an e-mail to dignisdesign@gmail.com, the payment can be fulfilled using PayPal. Shipping with EMS is usually very fast with three to five days, regular shipping is around two weeks.

Unboxing, Delivery Content:

[...]

[...]  [...] 

Looks:

The FOVEO case is manufactured of two pieces, namely a large, precisely cut and folded piece of leather for the upper as well as a piece of squared leather for the back part which has the DIGNIS sign and logo stamped in. Both pieces are nicely and very evenly stitched together with colour-matched strand. The leather’s subtle structure is still nicely visible. [...]

[...]  [...] 

Build Quality:

The handmade case’s leather is of very good premium quality and feels valuable as well as smooth and DX80’s shape has been precisely adopted. [...]
The surface feels pleasantly soft; front, back and bottom are quite stiff and reinforced to provide good protection. The stitching on the back appears valuable, too; inside, the case is softly cushioned. [...]

Right from the first contact with the case, one can see and feel that it is a valuably made premium product.

[...]

Accuracy of Fit, Operation, Daily Use:

The FOVEO case sits firmly and securely on the DAP, like a second skin.
[...] With the two volume buttons on the right side, [tactility] is a bit more difficult with “blind” operation, compared to the silicone case where the side buttons are easier tactile.
The three buttons for playback control on the front however are better tactile and feel better when being pressed on the DIGNIs case than on the silicone case. [...]

[...]  [...] 

Protection:

The DAP sits firmly and securely in the case and will therefore never accidentally slip out, regardless in which situation. [...]

[...]

Conclusion:

[...]
Who is looking for a more valuable alternative to iBasso’s silicone case finds a premium product with DIGNIS’ FOVEO case.
However, there are some things where the FOVEO falls slightly behind the silicone case: the volume buttons are harder to “blindly” distinguish (quite similar to the DX80 without a case), [...]

90% or 4.5 out of 5 stars [...]

Jan 18, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #2,118 of 6,795
Jan 18, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #2,119 of 6,795
Jan 18, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #2,120 of 6,795
@jamato8

This (http://dignis.co.kr/oversea.html) is the only English site on the website - the rest has to be translated (I only speak German, English and barely French, so no Korean either). Bit hard as many of the pages consist of screenshots of text (likely so that the content can be displayed on many devices) and can't be translated in the web browser.

However, Jeongjae told me that if more people are interested in an international web shop, they might create one. For now, one has to order by e-mail and PayPal.

Jan 18, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #2,121 of 6,795
As for Amazon, it appears it's available now...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ABUSBO0?colid=V85IX7OC5GN8&coliid=I27I0OCG97T2Y5&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

Jan 18, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #2,122 of 6,795
As for Amazon, it appears it's available now...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ABUSBO0?colid=V85IX7OC5GN8&coliid=I27I0OCG97T2Y5&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

It's shipped from Korea (in your link above).  The US distributor of Dignis (also the distributor of iBasso in US) will have it in stock on Amazon shipped from within US, not from overseas.

Jan 18, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #2,123 of 6,795
I got my black Dignis case the other day and used it for the first time today.  The device fits nicely, and it is a much nicer look and feel than with the stock silicon case.  I liked my Dignis case on my DX90, and now like my Dignis case on my DX80.  Sorry if pictures are not so good. I tried, but it's not my forte.

Jan 19, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #2,129 of 6,795
I hear true coaxial cable has 1 black band and is different...

The pic looks like the Fiio L17."Fiio L17 Professional 3.5mm Dual Ended Stereo Audio Cable with L Shaped Plugs"
They are specifically designed as an interconnect between DAP and stacked headphone amplifier.
(I use it to connect my DX80 to my Fiio E12).

One Amazon reviewer states "Although intended as a stereo audio connection, I can confirm this
cable can also be used as an electrical SPDIF digital coax. It may not have the ideal 75 ohm impedance,
but few digital cables actually do when measured, and this one works just fine if used this way - as I have in fact".

Any comments from an expert? Is there a better cable we could use?

Jan 19, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #2,130 of 6,795
The pic looks like the Fiio L17."Fiio L17 Professional 3.5mm Dual Ended Stereo Audio Cable with L Shaped Plugs"

They are specifically designed as an interconnect between DAP and stacked headphone amplifier.

(I use it to connect my DX80 to my Fiio E12).

One Amazon reviewer states "Although intended as a stereo audio connection, I can confirm this

cable can also be used as an electrical SPDIF digital coax. It may not have the ideal 75 ohm impedance,

but few digital cables actually do when measured, and this one works just fine if used this way - as I have in fact".

Any comments from an expert? Is there a better cable we could use?

Coaxial 3.5mm inputs simply use mono 3.5mm jacks each end. When using the cable pictured above not much changes for the connection as the coaxial input contacts still work fine with a stereo plug. As for the 75ohm impedance I suggest you msg ClieOS and ask how important it is. I have read about it but not enough to give a solid answer.

I really doubt you'll find a 75ohm impedance cable that short.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back