iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 12, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #1,951 of 6,795
Installed new Driver and new Firmware. So happy with the DX80 now, that i sold my Meridian Explorer 2 (and use the DX80 now as USB DAC and portable player).

Jan 12, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #1,953 of 6,795
  Installed 1.2.1. The thumps when skipping track (next or previous) is still there.

Mine was dead quiet and 1.1.4 and still is on 1.2.1 (this is 3rd unit, previous 2 had multiple hardware defects). I'm afraid your issue in not FW related, rather HW defect. If you still have time to exchange/return I would do so right away.

Jan 12, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #1,955 of 6,795
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 12, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #1,956 of 6,795
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 12, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #1,958 of 6,795
  Installed 1.2.1. The thumps when skipping track (next or previous) is still there.

True, i still have the occasional 'pop'  when skipping or between tracks. Maybe its even softer still, but it was almost inaudible  anyway on 1.1.4. 
Im gonna go back to 1.1.4. Didnt have any issues with it (i dont use DAC or line-out or DSD) and i prefer the sound of 1.1.4.

I use the Fidelio X2 cans and the RHA MA750 iem.

On 1.2.1:
Pro's: soundstage is wider, cleaner sound, detail, instruments a more separated.
The all-music now lists the tags instead of the filenames. Major improvement when you use all-music (which i don't)
With certain tracks 1.2.1 is really great to listen to, very nice, detailed, clean and open sound. Especially accoustic tracks without much music/ voices in the highest frequencies.
But...........
Cons: I think the overall sound is more analytical. I find the sound often sibilant/edgy on a lot of tracks.  Voices have gotten a sharper edge, a bit hoarse sometimes.
Bass is thinner, might be ' better controlled'  or 'tighter' as some would like to call it, it's less fun to me. I miss impact, even with the (slightly) bass-emphasized cans/iems i use. 
I hear a soft, mechanical-like ' tic tic'  from my dx80 when i power on. Never had that before. No issue, just weird.

It's too bad that only a small number of my tracks do sound so terrific with 1.2.1, but with the majority of my tracks i find the bass lacking and the highs edgy. I have a lot 24/96 flac and the rest is 16bit flac, most of them are good recordings, so i do blame the 1.2.1 for the (perceived) decrease in soundquality. It might all come down to brain-burn-in but im not kindling that fire, so i gonna go back to 1.1.4.

Yesterday i read about the upper 2 highest ranges not working in the EQ (great find by NatalieAnn, confirmed through measurement by HifiChris) and i thought, well, too bad but i dont really care cause i never use the EQ. But now i do miss it: it might be a way the take away the sibilance/edginess i hear and it doesnt work! Darn! Although i dont like to use the EQ, i like my sound to be perfect just out of the box.  :)

Btw: For the first time i believe i can hear some difference in sound between sharp/slow roll-off. Slow roll-off is a bit less sibilant? Really hard to tell.

My wish for the next firmware:
- button-lock function
- bass like 1.1.4, soundstage/clarity/separation like 1.2.1, less sharp highs (closer to 1.1.4, as in 1.1.4 could use a little bit more crispyness but not like 1.2.1)
- fully working EQ
- default volume setting when powering-on. Should be a value you can define yourself in the advanced settings.

Anyway, now im gonna listen to some tracks on 1.2.1 and i'll list the tracks later as examples for what i described above. After that i'll downgrade to 1.1.4 and re-listen the tracks. If i have any new insights, i'll share them ofcourse.

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #1,959 of 6,795
Anyone using DX80 with Chord Mojo? I am looking for possible interconnection cables. (Mostly coaxial, but will consider Toslink too. Preferably UK seller.) Thanks! 

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #1,960 of 6,795
  Anyone using DX80 with Chord Mojo? I am looking for possible interconnection cables. (Mostly coaxial, but will consider Toslink too. Preferably UK seller.) Thanks! 

I have used it both with a coax (I make my own) and optical, using the Sysconcepts cable out of Canada and they both work fine. There is a little sound when you change songs, though only with the Mojo and not with the Hugo or any other dac I own but the sound is pretty low but would be more noticeable with IEM's but I tend to use some headphones with this combination. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #1,961 of 6,795
Hello, I also have pop noises (psccht psdhht....) at the beginning and the end (when music volume is low) and I have a 64 gb Transcend and a 32 Gb Sandisc... both with only Flac... I use Earsonics SEM9. Also made a factory reset but pop noises remain... With 1.4 it was less audible... back to it for me.

Edit: I restart one or two times the player and now the pop noise seems to be less present...

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #1,962 of 6,795
Still seems to be quite a few issues with DX80. Been sitting on the fence on this one for a while now but still not sure. DX50 has been a good faithful DAP. Good fun with rockbox etc as well.

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #1,963 of 6,795
Still seems to be quite a few issues with DX80. Been sitting on the fence on this one for a while now but still not sure. DX50 has been a good faithful DAP. Good fun with rockbox etc as well.

Not really. I use it quite a bit and have no issues in doing so playing lossless and DSD and using it as a dac or USB dac. 

Jan 12, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #1,964 of 6,795
Not really. I use it quite a bit and have no issues in doing so playing lossless and DSD and using it as a dac or USB dac. 

That's good to hear, does DSD output over the coax digital out now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back