iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jan 12, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #1,967 of 6,795
Still seems to be quite a few issues with DX80. Been sitting on the fence on this one for a while now but still not sure. DX50 has been a good faithful DAP. Good fun with rockbox etc as well.

No issues here!!!  If your DAP budget is around $350, DX80 is the BEST option in that price bracket.  Trust me, I review and compare a lot of DAPs
wink.gif
  And, FW 1.2.1 is SOLID!

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #1,968 of 6,795
Mine pops an thuds when I skip tracks... Very uncomfortable very annoying

I use dx80 to Feed my mojo, new FW did nothing for the pops and thuds.... Very disappointed.

No USB out either

1 out of 5 stars

Lurker will hopefully change the FW for us and help this poorly put together Dap and make it worth the listen.

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #1,969 of 6,795
My DX80 just arrived today and I am also experiencing frequent pops at the start of the next track (when skipping tracks manually). Currently on the latest 1.2.1 firmware, using a 64GB Samsung EVO Mico-SD card loaded with a majority of 320kbps mp3 files.

Also, the UI is extremely laggy for me (and it initially took 1 hour to scan for all my music tracks), could someone please advise me how should I format the Micro-SD card and if I should just dump all my MP3 files into a single folder thanks :)

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #1,971 of 6,795
Finally got around updating to FW 1.2.1, and happy to say that tonality and transparency of the sound hasn't changed, still great! (I intentionally skipped 1.2, so no comment on that intermittent release). 

What I found to change/improve is the sound expansion.  I have no idea how iBasso does it without making sound artificial, but they keep pushing the envelope of soundstage expansion to yet another level of very impressive 3D imaging.

Regarding pops when changing the track, I don't hear it - it's gone!

The only problem I have is not being able to install new Windows driver to use it as USB DAC, my Norton Anti-virus deletes executable within a second of unzipping it, marking it as a virus.  @Paul - iBasso can you please let your guys know about it?  Better yet, tell them "no soup" until they recompile that driver so Norton is happy
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #1,972 of 6,795

No issues here!!!  If your DAP budget is around $350, DX80 is the BEST option in that price bracket.  Trust me, I review and compare a lot of DAPs
wink.gif
  And, FW 1.2.1 is SOLID!

I have read your review of DX80 and that is mainly the reason I ordered it. But while waiting for its arrival, I am also considering some other DAPs like ak120ii or pq1r. Do you think it worth the money to upgrade to the later two?

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #1,973 of 6,795
Just got this info from the other thread, gonna try it and report back  
Quote:

First let me note that this was just a followup post; I had performed two factory resets last night and since then so far I have had no further pops/clicks/skips. Now have 6+ hrs on the clock after the FW update and resets, so I think the pops/clicks/skips are gone for good.

For the record, the cards I am using are a Sandisk Ultra 64gb (exfat), and a Kingston 32gb class 4 (fat32) which I just purchased for testing the DX80 hoping that maybe a slower card would alleviate these problems. It did not. But, the firmware update did! (after 2 resets :) )

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #1,974 of 6,795

No.  Ordered January 7.  Due to arrive in 2-3 weeks...

Hi i cant seem to find the ebay site for it. Appreciate you can PM me. I love dignis case used it with dx 90. And they just came out with a mojo case that looks awesome. Now if they can come up with a case that stacks the both of them, that will solve a lot of portability issues.

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #1,975 of 6,795
  Just got this info from the other thread, gonna try it and report back  
Quote:

First let me note that this was just a followup post; I had performed two factory resets last night and since then so far I have had no further pops/clicks/skips. Now have 6+ hrs on the clock after the FW update and resets, so I think the pops/clicks/skips are gone for good.

For the record, the cards I am using are a Sandisk Ultra 64gb (exfat), and a Kingston 32gb class 4 (fat32) which I just purchased for testing the DX80 hoping that maybe a slower card would alleviate these problems. It did not. But, the firmware update did! (after 2 resets :) )

FAT32 and Factory reset are always your friends when it comes to DX80 (from my personal experience) 
wink.gif
  What the heck, do 2 resets!

beerchug.gif

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #1,976 of 6,795
I have read your review of DX80 and that is mainly the reason I ordered it. But while waiting for its arrival, I am also considering some other DAPs like ak120ii or pq1r. Do you think it worth the money to upgrade to the later two?

AK. Is a clear improving upgrade, so much you can justify the overpricing, after all it is (perceived value)

Also consider mojo if you like a good dap/amp it can power sensitive and hard to power headphones.

It has a nice sound, non fatiguing, and very musical, but it's not a dap

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:36 PM Post #1,978 of 6,795

wink.gif
  And, FW 1.2.1 is SOLID!

Stick to what you have already ordered,  You will drive yourself nuts thinking about upgrades.  Why stop at $900 QP1R (and its unusable control wheel) or $1700 AK120ii (which is great, but I wouldn't say 5x better than DX80), maybe go all the way to $2k PAW Gold (my reference quality choice) or even $7k Tera player (WAV only no-display matchbox) 
wink.gif

DX80 has a great value for mid-fi player.  You need to start somewhere to appreciate what you have and how it pairs up with your headphones.  After you spend time with your DAP, you will learn more about what you like and don't like, and that will guide your upgraditis
biggrin.gif
  Who knows, maybe by the time you ready to upgrade, DX200 will be available
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #1,979 of 6,795
  Finally got around updating to FW 1.2.1, and happy to say that tonality and transparency of the sound hasn't changed, still great! (I intentionally skipped 1.2, so no comment on that intermittent release). 

What I found to change/improve is the sound expansion.  I have no idea how iBasso does it without making sound artificial, but they keep pushing the envelope of soundstage expansion to yet another level of very impressive 3D imaging.

Regarding pops when changing the track, I don't hear it - it's gone!

The only problem I have is not being able to install new Windows driver to use it as USB DAC, my Norton Anti-virus deletes executable within a second of unzipping it, marking it as a virus.  @Paul - iBasso can you please let your guys know about it?  Better yet, tell them "no soup" until they recompile that driver so Norton is happy
biggrin.gif

They will only get to smell the soup until they fix it. I have no idea what they can do but have passed this on to them.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jan 12, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #1,980 of 6,795
True, i still have the occasional 'pop'  when skipping or between tracks. Maybe its even softer still, but it was almost inaudible  anyway on 1.1.4. 
Im gonna go back to 1.1.4. Didnt have any issues with it (i dont use DAC or line-out or DSD) and i prefer the sound of 1.1.4.

I use the Fidelio X2 cans and the RHA MA750 iem.

On 1.2.1:
Pro's: soundstage is wider, cleaner sound, detail, instruments a more separated.
The all-music now lists the tags instead of the filenames. Major improvement when you use all-music (which i don't)
With certain tracks 1.2.1 is really great to listen to, very nice, detailed, clean and open sound. Especially accoustic tracks without much music/ voices in the highest frequencies.
But...........
Cons: I think the overall sound is more analytical. I find the sound often sibilant/edgy on a lot of tracks.  Voices have gotten a sharper edge, a bit hoarse sometimes.
Bass is thinner, might be ' better controlled'  or 'tighter' as some would like to call it, it's less fun to me. I miss impact, even with the (slightly) bass-emphasized cans/iems i use. 
I hear a soft, mechanical-like ' tic tic'  from my dx80 when i power on. Never had that before. No issue, just weird.

It's too bad that only a small number of my tracks do sound so terrific with 1.2.1, but with the majority of my tracks i find the bass lacking and the highs edgy. I have a lot 24/96 flac and the rest is 16bit flac, most of them are good recordings, so i do blame the 1.2.1 for the (perceived) decrease in soundquality. It might all come down to brain-burn-in but im not kindling that fire, so i gonna go back to 1.1.4.

Yesterday i read about the upper 2 highest ranges not working in the EQ (great find by NatalieAnn, confirmed through measurement by HifiChris) and i thought, well, too bad but i dont really care cause i never use the EQ. But now i do miss it: it might be a way the take away the sibilance/edginess i hear and it doesnt work! Darn! Although i dont like to use the EQ, i like my sound to be perfect just out of the box.  :)

Btw: For the first time i believe i can hear some difference in sound between sharp/slow roll-off. Slow roll-off is a bit less sibilant? Really hard to tell.

My wish for the next firmware:
- button-lock function
- bass like 1.1.4, soundstage/clarity/separation like 1.2.1, less sharp highs (closer to 1.1.4, as in 1.1.4 could use a little bit more crispyness but not like 1.2.1)
- fully working EQ
- default volume setting when powering-on. Should be a value you can define yourself in the advanced settings.

Anyway, now im gonna listen to some tracks on 1.2.1 and i'll list the tracks later as examples for what i described above. After that i'll downgrade to 1.1.4 and re-listen the tracks. If i have any new insights, i'll share them ofcourse.

I agree.. Bass doesn't go as low as it used to.. Especially on Bass drops. I don't think bass is thin, just frequencies below 30 are less prominent as they were. It produces them. Just at a lot lower intensity as before the new update. However, not sure if the wider sound stage, details, imaging and layering are due to the Firmware update, or just the player settling in. (In my case) Or it it's just my own head burning in to this unit.. Either way.. It's amazing and well worth every penny I paid for it. Even standard MP3's are sounding clearer. I felt like the Fiio X3ii is lacking in comparison. Sorry Fiio.. It is a great little player, can't help that IBasso is just trying to raise the standard for the $350 range players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back