iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 24, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #1,411 of 6,795
I
Stacking with a hiss-free amplifier would eliminate hiss.

I. Guess that answers, disappointed if I have to buy something else just to Eliminate hiss.

Actually quite bummed...was expecting amazing sound, which to me It delivered, for Some Resson I feel this DAP will be overlooked because of the dx200 (who knows when it's coming out?) I just wish I didn't have hiss.. I guess I better get over it.

Future firmware updates can't eliminate hiss?

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #1,412 of 6,795

Stacking with a hiss-free amplifier would eliminate hiss.

Yup. Adding a quiet amplifier would also help.
Oh man, really? This impedance adapter, idk /anything about it, is it portable? Where can I purchase

Tested on low gain, 320 k a, 16 bit, 24/96 it all does it, my dx90 was quiet on the hiss compared to this, I love dx80 sound,, disappointed in hiss... I love give it a week, I don't want to return but...

You can have a look here http://www.head-fi.org/t/601669/impedance-adapters-cables-explained-listed

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #1,413 of 6,795
Unless you are using IEMs with a flat impedance response (most single-driver dynamic models), I wouldn't recommend using an impedance adapter. It is correct that it lowers the sensitivity and therefore shifts hiss to (most likely) inaudible levels, but it also logically acts as output impedance enhancement and therefore alters the sound of your multi-driver in-ears.

Just my $0.02

Dec 24, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #1,414 of 6,795
  Unless you are using IEMs with a flat impedance response (most single-driver dynamic models), I wouldn't recommend using an impedance adapter. It is correct that it lowers the sensitivity and therefore shifts hiss to (most likely) inaudible levels, but it also logically acts as output impedance enhancement and therefore alters the sound of your multi-driver in-ears.

Just my $0.02

Adding an impedance adapter will definitely alters the sound. Just a matter of small or big changes.
Adding an amp will be good provided that the user doesn't mind the extra weight and bulk.

Just wondering if IBasso will be able to reduce the hiss by changing the FW.

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:11 AM Post #1,416 of 6,795
A review of Fiio X7 by Marcus has an interesting comparision of X7 with DX80: "Some people might prefer the DX80’s slightly richer presentation and dual memory card slots but the UI is still a proprietary UI..." following by blah-blah-blah regarding ui. So, while Marcus has postponed full comparision until his full review of DX80 have been published, it seems DX80 impressed him over X7 soundwise
smily_headphones1.gif
or, at least, he admits it may for someone.

Dec 24, 2015 at 6:29 AM Post #1,418 of 6,795
Listening now while at gym. Richer than dx90. Warmer. Subtle. For gym, I wish there was a Hold button or feature. Love the GUI. No hiss. Exfat 2x 128gb. JhA-16 iem.low gain.

Dec 24, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #1,419 of 6,795
Listening now while at gym. Richer than dx90. Warmer. Subtle. For gym, I wish there was a Hold button or feature. Love the GUI. No hiss. Exfat 2x 128gb. JhA-16 iem.low gain.

Same here.. I have no hiss problem with my current setup (ad900x & carbo basso iem).

Hopefully next fw will fix all hiss problem on some people.

About the lock button, i do hope this feature will up on the next fw update as paul already said in different thread.

Cheers

Dec 24, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #1,420 of 6,795
Same here.. I have no hiss problem with my current setup (ad900x & carbo basso iem).

Hopefully next fw will fix all hiss problem on some people.

About the lock button, i do hope this feature will up on the next fw update as paul already said in different thread.

Cheers

Thanks man. Really easy to use with my old eyes. Sound is improved. Not leaps and bounds,but fuller without detail loss compared to dx90. For gym or on the go, really want that hold feature.

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #1,422 of 6,795
Sigh. The hiss you are hearing is hardware-related and therefore not resolvable with a software update.

IIrc, you are using the SE846, right? These are also among the more hiss-revealing IEMs in my collection. With such sensitive IEMs, people like us who are also rather sensitive to hiss and not really loud-level-listeners, DX80's hiss can be somewhat distracting.
Just as I said, one way to eliminate hiss would be stacking with a hiss-free amplifier. DX80's sound character (organic sound, well-layered soundstage) will also be present through the Line Out.

Before some more people join and say "my DX80 doesn't hiss" or "yeah, mine also hisses" etc., it should be clarified that every audio device has hiss, but not at an equal amount. Some have even so little hiss that it can't be heard with extremely sensitive IEMs, whereas others have so much hiss that it can even be heard with full-sized headphones (the DX80 is fortunately not of the latter sort, but also not completely quiet, at least not  with very sensitive IEMs).

Let's say we (more specifically our ears) are all equally sensitive to hiss and are listening to the same music files at the same volume. With full-sized headphones and less sensitive in-ears (mainly many dynamic in-ears), a device has to be a massive misconstruction to make you hear distinct hiss with these kind of headphones - and the DX80 is definitely not of that sort, meaning that it doesn't hiss with that kind of headphones but remains quiet. That's why nobody will ever hear the DX80 hiss with full-sized headphones (unless it is on the recording), as its hiss level is low enough to be below the audible threshold with headphones that have low to average sensitivity.

Then there are some very and some extremely sensitive in-ears which will reveal about any audible hiss (if it is above the audible threshold), and they will reveal hiss on devices like the DX80.

And don't let us forget that not everyone's ears are equally sensitive to hiss and that average listening levels also differ between people. If a certain volume threshold is exceeded, hiss becomes inaudible, even with sensitive in-ears.

Edit: once I had found a website that excellently explained the relation between the SNR, sensitivity and listening volume, but I can't find it right now. Should've bookmarked it...

Edit #2: Okay, now it's obvious why I didn't find that site/explanation, as it is in German and I googled in English (as I do most of the times). It was explained on Shure's own German blog: https://shuredeutschland.wordpress.com/2012/09/24/rauschende-ohrhorer/, but they also have it on their English site: http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3830/~/hiss-and-noise-when-using-shure-earphones.

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #1,423 of 6,795
@ HiFiChris.  So, regarding the hiss thing...Does your explanation assume that we all should be hearing the same degree of hiss on the DX80 if we use the same headphones?  I use sensitive JHA-16s, and have not heard hiss when songs are not playing.  From what I have read in the thread, it seems that some folks have complained of hiss while others have not, and I don't glean that the issue is the sensitivity of one's headphones.  However, maybe I am missing something from the posts.  I have had a very limited amount of listening time on my new DX80, but so far, I have not detected hiss when there is no playback (or when there is playback).  I do think some have posted that there is very audible hiss when there is no playback while others have not, with a mix of headphones used.  This would suggest differences in units based on build, etc. I could have sworn I saw a post by Paul from iBasso saying that some units had hardware changes that should have fixed this hiss issue as well (I am going from memory here, and could be conjuring up these recollections, so please correct me if I am wrong).  Thanks.

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #1,424 of 6,795
  @ HiFiChris.  So, regarding the hiss thing...Does your explanation assume that we all should be hearing the same degree of hiss on the DX80 if we use the same headphones? Thanks.

No, it does not. One reason is that not everybody is equally sensitive to hiss and the other because people have different definitions of what's a comfortable listening volume.

Quote:
I use sensitive JHA-16s, and have not heard hiss when songs are not playing.

Well, that's because the amp section is turned off when playback is paused. Reduce your usual listening volume, try with an empty audio file or listen at 0 volume to hear if there is audible hiss for you.

As I said, some people are more sensitive to hiss than others.

I do think some have posted that there is very audible hiss when there is no playback while others have not, with a mix of headphones used.

Those people had defective units that had varying hiss, depending on how they held the headphone cable and the specific cable model (iIrc).

Dec 24, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #1,425 of 6,795
  @ HiFiChris.  So, regarding the hiss thing...Does your explanation assume that we all should be hearing the same degree of hiss on the DX80 if we use the same headphones?  I use sensitive JHA-16s, and have not heard hiss when songs are not playing.  From what I have read in the thread, it seems that some folks have complained of hiss while others have not, and I don't glean that the issue is the sensitivity of one's headphones.  However, maybe I am missing something from the posts.  I have had a very limited amount of listening time on my new DX80, but so far, I have not detected hiss when there is no playback (or when there is playback).  I do think some have posted that there is very audible hiss when there is no playback while others have not, with a mix of headphones used.  This would suggest differences in units based on build, etc. I could have sworn I saw a post by Paul from iBasso saying that some units had hardware changes that should have fixed this hiss issue as well (I am going from memory here, and could be conjuring up these recollections, so please correct me if I am wrong).  Thanks.

The hiss only occur when there is playback. When there is no playback, it is dead silent.
My friend and I tested using the same unit with the same earphone. The hiss is audible to me and not to him. Different people have different tolerance for hiss or detection of hiss.
Some people will hear it and some people wont. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back