iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 23, 2015 at 5:53 AM Post #1,382 of 6,795
Hiss detection on the easiest way: play a song on your device and turn volume down to 0. Do you hear any hiss? On DX80 with Fischer Amps FA-3 I´ve noticed an audible one.
But for me negligible cos my listening level with the IEMs is much higher on DX80 on which hiss level completely disappears. So I think the hiss thing will often come to the boil where you should find out if it´s a real issue for you due to your habitual listening volumes.

Great suggestion you have got there

Dec 23, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #1,383 of 6,795
  i am a new DX80 owner and wonder how long it would take the unit to break in, after ten days, it still sound on the same level as my ipod classic. I connect it via the Mojo optical cable to the Mojo and it was soundly outclassed by the AK120 in terms of air, separation, prat and soundstage. Am I expecting too much or is my unit still not fully broken in to live up to all the good reports seem here

Sorry if I am being thick here but if you have connected it to the Mojo, is it not the Mojo that is being outclassed as in that case the DX80 is a simple transport...

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #1,384 of 6,795
Will the DX-80 read Exfat cards that have not been formatted by the device itself? And with the latest FW update, what are the key remaining bugs, if any? Thanks.

DX80 doesn't have any built-in card formatting function, but it works fine with FAT or exFAT cards. I'm currently using a card formatted in Windows in exFAT.

At this point the only limitation I found was that DX80's firmware update had to be done on a FAT formatted card.

There is a separate DX80 bugs thread that you might want to check out for exisiting bugs, but iBasso Paul said there will be a new firmware out this week, so you should check again after that to see what's fixed and what's outstanding.

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #1,385 of 6,795
@sandalaudio - thanks. As long as it can read my Exfat cards, I'm happy because I will not consider a DAP where I need to reformat my cards which I use in a few DAPs.
When I tested it a month ago, it was very buggy. I'll have a look at that thread.
Thanks again.

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #1,386 of 6,795
  ​Search "Bug thread" you get DX90 DX80 DX50 . Do you see a pattern ?

The pattern might be that iBasso fans are enthusiastic and organized.  At least two of those threads were initiated by me. 

It always bothered me that on every other dap thread the bug reports and solutions were interspersed amongst the feedback in a super long thread.  Not very helpful to someone looking for answers on an iRiver or whatever. Hopefully a separate bug thread helps everyone involved.
All of the manufacturers have had firmware issues. I don't think there is anything bad or special about the DX80 except I can't figure out how it got issued with the original 1.1.0
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #1,387 of 6,795
Reading around the forums regularly its not only iBasso experiencing teething problems, many other DAPs are going through similar situations right now. FiiO X7 thread, FiiO M3, I hear the Onkyo DAP as well. AK JR on release had issues with its UI being laggy, and the list continues and always has done over the years.

Unfortunately, while I sympathize with the users having issues we're in a niche market with much smaller selling margin than Sony, or Apple, many of these products offer superior sound performance  than mainstream MP3 players. If you want to be a part of it you need to come to realization its a small market, smaller testing ability before release and patience is required.

One of the reasons a company might release a DAP less than 100% functional is because when sending out a few batches they immediately have several users running their players through numerous tasks, much quicker than any of their in-house staff can. This means problems/bugs are discovered quicker and corrected faster. 

I do sympathise with those having issues, though I know from past experience iBasso will get it sorted, their constancy and customer service is very good.

On the other end of the stick we have users completely happy with their DX80's I am one of them.

Hang in there guys. 
smile.gif

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #1,388 of 6,795

The pattern might be that iBasso fans are enthusiastic and organized.  At least two of those threads were initiated by me. 

It always bothered me that on every other dap thread the bug reports and solutions were interspersed amongst the feedback in a super long thread.  Not very helpful to someone looking for answers on an iRiver or whatever. Hopefully a separate bug thread helps everyone involved.
All of the manufacturers have had firmware issues. I don't think there is anything bad or special about the DX80 except I can't figure out how it got issued with the original 1.1.0
confused_face_2.gif

I think the general vibe is that Paul at iBasso is actively engaging to the threads, so while that's happening we will be hopeful that DX80 will eventually turn out to be an awesome DAP.
Usually with most brands the threads die and the developer loses interest once a new model is announced.

One exception I remember is Fiio X3, which constantly received updates for well over 2 years, with brand new firmware and OS well down the track.

I've seen other threads like Onkyo DAP where there are many known issues but the developers are simply keeping silence, so the existing and potential owners are kept in the dark waiting for some miracle to happen.

Considering that within 2015 I had to return my brand new Dell and Apple laptops, and Chord Mojo, and iFi micro iDSD, all due to some early defects, I don't see iBasso being all that bad.

Dec 23, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #1,390 of 6,795
Reading around the forums regularly its not only iBasso experiencing teething problems, many other DAPs are going through similar situations right now. FiiO X7 thread, FiiO M3, I hear the Onkyo DAP as well. AK JR on release had issues with its UI being laggy, and the list continues and always has done over the years.

Unfortunately, while I sympathize with the users having issues we're in a niche market with much smaller selling margin than Sony, or Apple, many of these products offer superior sound performance  than mainstream MP3 players. If you want to be a part of it you need to come to realization its a small market, smaller testing ability before release and patience is required.

One of the reasons a company might release a DAP less than 100% functional is because when sending out a few batches they immediately have several users running their players through numerous tasks, much quicker than any of their in-house staff can. This means problems/bugs are discovered quicker and corrected faster. 

I do sympathise with those having issues, though I know from past experience iBasso will get it sorted, their constancy and customer service is very good.

On the other end of the stick we have users completely happy with their DX80's I am one of them.

Hang in there guys. :smile:  

yep, basically DAPs are like Bethesda RPGs.

Dec 23, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #1,391 of 6,795
I used both the DX80 and the AK120 to input data into the mojo see if my LG phone using the USB input is better or not, out of the three AK120 via the optical input sounded the best, the DX80 via both optical and coaxial input was behind the LG USB using Onkyo player, ymmv.

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #1,392 of 6,795
There are so many things going on with daps, so many variables, I am surprised that they even work but that goes for computers as well. I don't have a single dap that didn't and doesn't have a few issues, no matter who made it including Sony  and the rest and Sony has huge funds to draw from. It also includes my cameras from Sony in the A7RII and the Canon line and both of these companies have huge software teams. I don't think there is an intention to release products that will cause problem, but again, there are so many variables that sometimes it takes 100's or 1000's of uses to find some of the interactions that need to be figured out and cleared up with FW. 

On the DX80 with 1.1.4 I have very few issues and use the dap every day. The fixes came fast and now there is another FW from what I have read. Also for sound, I find the DX80 to be at the top of the heap at a fraction of the price of some of the daps I have. 

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #1,393 of 6,795

You can format to FAT in the Mac disc utility. The Disc Utility is found in Applications in the Utilities folder. Go into Erase and you will see where you can format cards or hard drives.

the disk was already formatted at FAT

any other reason I would be getting that error code and the update not taking?

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #1,394 of 6,795
any other reason I would be getting that error code and the update not taking?

4 conditions should be met:
  • FAT32.
  • update.img in the root directory.
  • Put the card to the second slot.
  • First slot is empty.

If the problem persists, I have no idea! But you may try to update the firmware from that recovery menu. Choose items with Vol+/Vol-, push Power to execute.

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #1,395 of 6,795
  4 conditions should be met:
  • FAT32.
  • update.img in the root directory.
  • Put the card to the second slot.
  • First slot is empty.

If the problem persists, I have no idea! But you may try to update the firmware from that recovery menu. Choose items with Vol+/Vol-, push Power to execute.

yes, I have satisfied all of these steps. Its seeing the file on some level as its asking me if I want to perform the update which doesn't happen if the update file is not on the drive. But from there it seems to be failing. I appreciate the help though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back