iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 4, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #901 of 6,795
@omastic
I had the scan problem too. Evildoer was the folder "Dr. Chesky's Sensational, Fantastic, and Simply Amazing Binaural Sound Show".
I think the ' in Chesky's is the matter. No FLAC file in this folder could be played by the DX80. I´ve got also a clicking noise (similar to on/off click) and the player went back into the music playback screen.
I have removed the folder from card then scan works but I´ll test if it helps only to remove " ' " letter.

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #902 of 6,795
  Hello guys! So I finally bit the bullet and got myself the DX80. In general I am pleased with the UI and sound. However, I have failed to successfully perform a complete scan of my memory card thus far. It always completes until about 40% and then the unit will reset with a clicking sound. 

Things I have tried so far - 

- Update firmware to 1.1.4
- Perform factory reset and rescan
- Format SD card, copy the music files fresh and rescan.

Nothing has worked so far. The card works flawlessly with my Fiio X3ii. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

I had the same problem, even on 1.1.4.  I eventually got everything work by doing a factory reset and trying again.

Dec 4, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #903 of 6,795
  I think the ' in Chesky's is the matter. No FLAC file in this folder could be played by the DX80.

I've had several programs choke on characters that look like ' but actually aren't the ' on your keyboard.
http://snowball.tartarus.org/texts/apostrophe.html
Sort of like the double-quotes that Microsoft Word uses - they are both different characters, and neither is " like on your keyboard.

I now search-and-replace all such characters to the versions used by typing the character on the keyboard. Surprisingly, these programs handle other characters, like ç and ö just fine. Just not those pesky apostrophes and dhouble-quote marks.

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #904 of 6,795
Still no luck in scanning the whole card :confused_face:
This is turning out to be quite a headache for me. I have tried removing albums with special characters and it is still the same.

What's frustrating is the x3ii is scanning the card just fine. For now using the folder browse option, which has worked quite well so far.

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #905 of 6,795
Regarding discount codes for Advanced MP3 Players (Amp3).

YIELD#10 works. 10% off

These three do not work: AMP22, AMP23, STAY4%10

Maybe this will be useful for anyone else looking to purchase from them.

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #906 of 6,795
Tried DX80 as USB DAC under Windows 7 64-bit, foobar2000, SACD plugin 0.8.3 with its ASIO Proxy.

DX80 supports PCM up to 24/192, DSD64 natively and DoP 1.0 (Marker 0x05/0xFA).

It's a pity it does not support DSD128 natively, but all in all even as is, it's a great step forward, compared to DX90!

But now I wonder why with my Android tablet, USB Audio Player Pro limits direct output to 24/96, not to 24/192, and why it does not want to output DSD as DoP...

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #907 of 6,795
  Tried DX80 as USB DAC under Windows 7 64-bit, foobar2000, SACD plugin 0.8.3 with its ASIO Proxy.

DX80 supports PCM up to 24/192, DSD64 natively and DoP 1.0 (Marker 0x05/0xFA).

It's a pity it does not support DSD128 natively, but all in all even as is, it's a great step forward, compared to DX90!

But now I wonder why with my Android tablet, USB Audio Player Pro limits direct output to 24/96, not to 24/192, and why it does not want to output DSD as DoP...

What do you mean it does not support DSD128 natively? It supports DSD64 and DSD128.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 4, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #908 of 6,795
Still no luck in scanning the whole card
confused_face.gif

This is turning out to be quite a headache for me. I have tried removing albums with special characters and it is still the same.

What's frustrating is the x3ii is scanning the card just fine. For now using the folder browse option, which has worked quite well so far.

Do you have another card to try?

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Dec 4, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #909 of 6,795
Do you have another card to try?

I have same issue. However, I intend to wipe the card and reinstall all music from scratch when I have more time. The micro sd card is not at fault. It's a Sandisk 128gb.

I only got the DX80 today , updated the firmware. It's really amazing. No it's breathtaking sound so I can live with a few bugs at the moment.

I have also paired it with the Chord Mojo. Even more spectacular.

EDIT - I just reconnected DX80 to my mac. Recopied the music across, rescanned and all is ok. I also deleted some of the unneeded files on the memory card as well. Happy Days.

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #912 of 6,795

What do you mean it does not support DSD128 natively? It supports DSD64 and DSD128.

In USB DAC mode? Each time I tried to playback a DSD128 track via ASIO driver, or tried to turn auto-convertion of other formats to DSD128, it failed. Which Windows player do you recommend to try DSD128?

No problems with the player itself! Only in USB DAC mode!

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #913 of 6,795

I hooked up my headphone amp to the DX80 using line out and it sounds wonderful. 

What amp do you use? Thinking of adding an amp but getting mixed advice.. In what way does your amp improve the already great sound?

The amp I ran it through is the Schiit Valhalla2. I use it for headphones not IEMs. I don't think the DX80 really needs an amp for portable use but my Schitt needs a source so I was eager to hear how the DX80 sounded through it. (Remember that when running it this way it only uses the DAC not the amp in the DX80.) Compared to the Fiio X3ii, which is what I ran as a source previously to getting the DX80, it's not a huge difference but noticeable. The DX80 DAC creates more air and provides a richer, more organic sound signature. It's a nice pairing but again not night and day compared to the Fiio.

If you're looking for a portable amp I really like the Fiio E12a. I paired it with my X3II and was happy with the results. I haven't even bothered to try it with the DX80 because as I said before I don't feel the DX80 needs an amp for IEMs.

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #914 of 6,795
The amp I ran it through is the Schiit Valhalla2. I use it for headphones not IEMs. I don't think the DX80 really needs an amp for portable use but my Schitt needs a source so I was eager to hear how the DX80 sounded through it. (Remember that when running it this way it only uses the DAC not the amp in the DX80.) Compared to the Fiio X3ii, which is what I ran as a source previously to getting the DX80, it's not a huge difference but noticeable. The DX80 DAC creates more air and provides a richer, more organic sound signature. It's a nice pairing but again not night and day compared to the Fiio.

If you're looking for a portable amp I really like the Fiio E12a. I paired it with my X3II and was happy with the results. I haven't even bothered to try it with the DX80 because as I said before I don't feel the DX80 needs an amp for IEMs.

Thanks for the response! There seems to be universal agreement that the DX80 doesn't need an amplifier for IEM's but I'm using over ear B&W P7's. The Fiio E12 is my favoured amp should I decide to get one.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back