iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Dec 3, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #886 of 6,795

Thanks, jamato8, maybe I overreacted.  How long has the DX80 been available?  I just felt that I must have one of the early units, because it came with FW 1.1.0, however I purchased from B&H Photo (listed on iBasso's website as a US Distributor) on November 19.

Thanks for all the help, from everyone.

It was sarhissm. No pun intended.
it is bad enough when you have a faulty dx80. it's always nasty when you have to RMA a new device.

As i read the different posts about the hiss, i believe the hiss comes from faulty dx80 and if you have it, you should RMA the device. Cause with Twister6 the hiss is gone , while using the same IEM's with a different DX80. I know, maybe the hiss shows itself after a change in IEM somewhere in the future, cause it doesn't seem to appear with every sensitive IEM. IBasso  has to be generous in replacing the DX80, even after 1 or 2 years.

What's strange though, the 'thumb' is experienced very differently.
I really have to focus to hear(feel) it. It's there for sure, but soooo minimal. Absolutely not offensive.
While others are really offended by it: "hurts their ears";"afraid of damaging their IEM".
Could there also be different 'thumbs'  in intensity in the different dx80's or does it all come down to the sensitivity of your IEM's and personal hearing ability? 
Maybe the 'not-the-sharpest'  quality control in the DX80 's production process plays a role in the intensity of the 'thumb'-issue, like with the hiss-issue?
I think I also have a DX80 from the first batch, it was in pre-order for almost 6 weeks, it has to be 1 of the first DX80's that arrived in the Netherlands. 
(Edit: it did arrive with FW 1.1.2, btw)

I'm using a RHA MA750, no hissing and an almost inaudible, unfeelable 'thumb' (it's so very low, can't call it a sound, like a very softly spoken letter 'P'. Try saying: PAPA without the 'A's : P-P-. Mind you, it's only 1 'P', but it sounds like the P in P-P-). If i hadn't read about the ' thumb' , i doubt i would have noticed it on my own.

I find the DX80 very enjoyable, a substantial upgrade over my Dx50 (SU 1.3.3, flac-only). 
It should be like that for every owner of a dx80: enjoyable, high quality, dynamic sound.

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #887 of 6,795
I think I also have a DX80 from the first batch... (Edit: it did arrive with FW 1.1.2, btw)

Mine, which has a hiss problem, came with 1.0.0 so maybe I got an early batch... I'm hoping the new one will not hiss. I really am.

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #888 of 6,795
Hearing all that hiss discussion, i tested with two different headphones.
First Test Shure SE846: no hiss when no music plays, and very very subtle noise once you play press till the fraction of the second the music starts playing (almost not audible).
Second Test Noble Savant: these headphones have a slightly higher impedance so i changed the Gain from Low to High and used the same Volume Spectrum, again - no hiss when no music plays and a really subtle noise once you hit play (nothing that could ever bug me)

Dec 3, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #889 of 6,795
  Thanks so much for your thoughts. Sound wise it seems the DX80 improves in many ways. I agree with you, sometimes my X3ii can sound a bit too warm. What I am concerned with also is the size. I like X3ii's size as it is easily pocketable and suitable for on the go use. The DX80 seems like it is a bit on the larger side for easy handling. What are your thoughts on this? 

Hi omastic, for reference, the DX80 is the same size as iPhone 5/5s, just 2x thicker. :)

Dec 3, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #890 of 6,795
Here is my experience using Shure 535R iem :

'hiss' : the first demo device I tried had serious hiss, which changed when I moved the cable around, that device was on v1.1.0.  then i tried another device in another shop, no hiss at all, that's where I bought my DX80 which was on v1.1.2 out of the box, & no hiss.  so i think it's a particular faulty batch that causes the hiss issue.

'thump' : slight thump when pressing 'play' for the first song, & no thump playing through the tracks

so far, very pleased with my DX80.

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #892 of 6,795
Hello guys! So I finally bit the bullet and got myself the DX80. In general I am pleased with the UI and sound. However, I have failed to successfully perform a complete scan of my memory card thus far. It always completes until about 40% and then the unit will reset with a clicking sound. 

Things I have tried so far - 

- Update firmware to 1.1.4
- Perform factory reset and rescan
- Format SD card, copy the music files fresh and rescan.

Nothing has worked so far. The card works flawlessly with my Fiio X3ii. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #893 of 6,795
  Hello guys! So I finally bit the bullet and got myself the DX80. In general I am pleased with the UI and sound. However, I have failed to successfully perform a complete scan of my memory card thus far. It always completes until about 40% and then the unit will reset with a clicking sound. 

Things I have tried so far - 

- Update firmware to 1.1.4
- Perform factory reset and rescan
- Format SD card, copy the music files fresh and rescan.

Nothing has worked so far. The card works flawlessly with my Fiio X3ii. Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

So you were able to update to 1.1.4? Did you check the system info to make sure you are on the current FW? I have cards that work in the X3II and they work fine in the DX80 up to 200gb so far. That is in FAT32 and exFat. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #894 of 6,795

So you were able to update to 1.1.4? Did you check the system info to make sure you are on the current FW? I have cards that work in the X3II and they work fine in the DX80 up to 200gb so far. That is in FAT32 and exFat. 

Yes firmware update worked fine and I have confirmed through system info that the version is 1.1.4. It is always at 40% where it will just restart and the library will show only the scanned tracks.

The SD card contains mostly flac files with the occasional wav and mp3 formats.  

Dec 3, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #895 of 6,795
  Yes firmware update worked fine and I have confirmed through system info that the version is 1.1.4. It is always at 40% where it will just restart and the library will show only the scanned tracks.

The SD card contains mostly flac files with the occasional wav and mp3 formats.  

And it did this before, the same 40%, you reformatted and reloaded the card? I had problems like that on 1.1.0 but not on later FW's. What happens if you have only FLAC on their? I have WAV and it scans that fine but something is odd. And since you reformatted the card, there wouldn't be any odd files from other daps. Did you do a tag check? there are some free tag checking tools to clean up tags. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #896 of 6,795

And it did this before, the same 40%, you reformatted and reloaded the card? I had problems like that on 1.1.0 but not on later FW's. What happens if you have only FLAC on their? I have WAV and it scans that fine but something is odd. And since you reformatted the card, there wouldn't be any odd files from other daps. Did you do a tag check? there are some free tag checking tools to clean up tags. 

Yes, even after reformatting and reloading the card it is still the same. Haven't tried just having flacs. But the portion of the library that I was able to scan already covered many of the WAVs and Mp3 files, so I don't think this is the problem.

I am suspecting some weird album/track/artist name in the tag is causing the issue. Folder browsing seems to be working okay. 

Could you recommend a tag checking tool?

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #897 of 6,795
Oh by the way, happy to report I can detect no abnormal hiss on my DX80. I do hear the low frequency thump with the hardware button press, though, Fortunately it is still subtle enough for me to ignore. 

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #898 of 6,795
Just ordered a DX80 last night and should get on Monday. I love my DX50 so it was natural to buy one of these babies. Got a 10% off code so paid £260 at AMP3

How did you get a discount code to work? For me their website says that the code is accepted but doesn't show the discounted total anywhere during the checkout process (which leads me to believe that the discount isn't actually being applied).

Dec 3, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #899 of 6,795
I used one but now I can't find it in my folders for such things. I used it once and had no further use for it so I don't know where I put it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back