iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jul 1, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #4,864 of 6,795
mine has done that quite a few times, I just say to myself " I guess it did not want me to listen to that". The crappy part is you cant hit the back button to re-listen to it.
my least used dap is dx80 now even though i love the UI and Sound

Jul 1, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #4,865 of 6,795
I'm trying to make sense of this review for DX80. Can anyone help
http://inearspace.com/2016/03/01/looking-at-the-state-of-mid-tier-daps-in-2016/
"unless you really want a warm, soft, and generally a little unrefined sounding player I can’t give it a recommendation.
Bass is not very well defined or controlled but it is big and all-encompassing. Sloppy is a word that comes to mind especially when you put it up against the rest of the players here. It isn’t agile or quick, neither is it particularly well extended.
The mid range continues the same way and I just struggle to enjoy what the DX80 offers, it feels so vague in every sense, I just don’t get what they have gone for here.  Vocals aren’t even that smooth, there is a little grain and handful of unnaturalness to boot.
The treble finishes it off; it’s soft with a lack of energy and control and it’s just dull. I had such high hopes for my first proper Ibasso experience, it’s a shame. I cant help feeling that maybe their “fame” in the industry has gone to their heads"

What does he mean that it's unrefined sounding?

Jul 1, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #4,866 of 6,795
  I'm trying to make sense of this review for DX80. Can anyone help
http://inearspace.com/2016/03/01/looking-at-the-state-of-mid-tier-daps-in-2016/
"unless you really want a warm, soft, and generally a little unrefined sounding player I can’t give it a recommendation.
Bass is not very well defined or controlled but it is big and all-encompassing. Sloppy is a word that comes to mind especially when you put it up against the rest of the players here. It isn’t agile or quick, neither is it particularly well extended.
The mid range continues the same way and I just struggle to enjoy what the DX80 offers, it feels so vague in every sense, I just don’t get what they have gone for here.  Vocals aren’t even that smooth, there is a little grain and handful of unnaturalness to boot.
The treble finishes it off; it’s soft with a lack of energy and control and it’s just dull. I had such high hopes for my first proper Ibasso experience, it’s a shame. I cant help feeling that maybe their “fame” in the industry has gone to their heads"

What does he mean that it's unrefined sounding?

That review makes zero sense. The DX80 is very powerful and I feel like that power and headroom makes it incredibly refined. Sloppy is the last word that comes to mind for me with the DX80. Reading it, I can't help but think he's attributing things to the DAPs that they just aren't doing, like saying one has more low end extension than another one, that is just BS, it's a function of the headphone pairing more than likely. He seems to think he has golden ears and I can't help but think that he's fooling himself.

Jul 1, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #4,867 of 6,795
That review makes zero sense. The DX80 is very powerful and I feel like that power and headroom makes it incredibly refined. Sloppy is the last word that comes to mind for me with the DX80. Reading it, I can't help but think he's attributing things to the DAPs that they just aren't doing, like saying one has more low end extension than another one, that is just BS, it's a function of the headphone pairing more than likely. He seems to think he has golden ears and I can't help but think that he's fooling himself.

I agree with you there. Im listening to DX80 on latest firmware. It sounds neutral even with Sines and sounds very detailed, great mids, treble and the bass is detailed. Even with trinity budget iems I can't seem to find how it sounds the way the author describes. I just checked out DX80 reviews here and I hear multiple similarities when I'm listening to dx80.

It could possibly be the headphone pairing that author has that changes sound.

Jul 1, 2016 at 12:38 PM Post #4,868 of 6,795

I have read a few things inearspace has written and they make no sense. I don't see any value in what is on the site as it doesn't seem thought out or with merit. 

Jul 1, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #4,870 of 6,795
I have read a few things inearspace has written and they make no sense. I don't see any value in what is on the site as it doesn't seem thought out or with merit. 

Totally agree with you. The guy talks about bass, mids and treble presentation on all of these daps, but when you look at the measurements they're all ruler flat from 5 Hz to 20 kHz. It's just absurd. This is what happens when people think they can hear things that aren't really there. It's just his feelings about what he likes, but he tries to assign technical detail to it when he doesn't have any clue what he's talking about.

Jul 2, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #4,871 of 6,795
Hello! Afraid I need some help. When I try to export playlists that I've created on the DX80, only Playlist 1 is exported into the m3u folder. I've tried clicking export multiple times on the other playlists, but it doesn't solve the issue.

Any advice?

UPDATE: I found that I had to export the one playlist, delete the m3u folder then extract the next playlist. Problem solved!

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:39 AM Post #4,872 of 6,795
the dx80 needs a new fw.
honestly dont understand why a new fw is being churned out for discontinued products as priority.

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #4,873 of 6,795

honestly dont understand why a new fw is being churned out for discontinued products as priority.

IIrc, it was said that some parts of the code base of the DX50/90/80 are identical, so I think by improving the DX90's/50's firmware (which is probably somewhat simpler compared to the DX80's), they also improve the DX80's but need to make further adjustments as it is somewhat different and more complex.

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:55 AM Post #4,874 of 6,795

IIrc, it was said that some parts of the code base of the DX50/90/80 are identical, so I think by improving the DX90's/50's firmware (which is probably somewhat simpler compared to the DX80's), they also improve the DX80's but need to make further adjustments as it is somewhat different and more complex.

ah i see but well no point upgrading on fw of discontinued products.
now my cayin n5 has superseded the dx80 as my main warm and lush vocals dap.

biggrin.gif

but i still prefer dx80 ui

Jul 4, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #4,875 of 6,795

Then why do you expect iBasso to produce a new firmware for DX80, which you already have purchased, instead of working 100% under the new DX200?
biggrin.gif

In fact, iBasso has introduced SACD ISO playback first for DX90, then for DX50, and the version for DX50 is better. So, I expect the version for DX80 at least not worse than for DX50. So think about DX50/90 existing users like beta testers for DX80... or DX200
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back