iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Jun 25, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #4,833 of 6,795
  Hey guys.  I'm a Radio Frequency Engineer and have been working in Cellular since 1994.  It is possible that what you are describing is called Discontinuous Transmit that occurs naturally when you get a phone too close to another electronic device....

Thanks for the explanation Howlin Fester! I hear this sound all the time through the speakerphone when people set their cell phones on a conference table at work. Almost certainly the same noise my first DX80 picked up when it was in the same pocket as my phone (separate pockets -- no noise). I can't explain why I haven't heard the interference with my replacement unit, but I have my suspicions.

Jun 25, 2016 at 9:07 PM Post #4,835 of 6,795
  Hey guys.  I'm a Radio Frequency Engineer and have been working in Cellular since 1994.  It is possible that what you are describing is called Discontinuous Transmit that occurs naturally when you get a phone too close to another electronic device.  The way that some modulation schemes work is that they transmit on and off very rapidly to modulate a signal that your phone and the Cell site can understand.  Sometimes these quick transitions can cause a third order harmomic that results in the audible band.  If that is induced onto electronic parts, it can manifest itself in a static or clicking noises.

You can test for this by placing an active phone call.  Move the phone next to your device.  (Mine does this on the DX50, but this is NOT limited to iBasso units.)  If you hear the clicking or static through your headphones, then it is from the phone.

You may also hear this when the phone is idle.  It needs to communicate to the cell tower periodically to update it's location information and send a stay alive signal.

This does NOT mean that your DAP is defective.  You can hear this on any radio, stereo, and sometimes even on speakers if you just get close to their cables.

I solve this my keeping my phone at least 6 inches away from my DAP.  I don't like using a phone as transport.  But if you do, you could consider putting it in Airplane mode, and that may eliminate the static.

NOTE: This is just a general discussion about Cell Phones causing audible interference.  I AM NOT saying you do or do not have a defective unit.  Just trying to help you troubleshoot any issues.

Thank for the explanation but isn't the shielding meant for this purpose? I did not encounter this on my Fiio x3II though.

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #4,836 of 6,795
Thanks guys for all your help.

I finally was able to upgrade with the batch tool. It didn’t work out right away, but after trying out various things, it managed to install the update. 

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #4,837 of 6,795
Great news Fink24
Im not sure how the batch tool worked as it was bit weird with me as well but eventually its got it all sorted!
ksc75smile.gif

Jun 26, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #4,838 of 6,795
  scanning issues are back, after finishing filled up my cards...
feels like DX80 is limited around 16K files...
posted in bug thread.

Mine has a total of around 4116

Jun 26, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #4,839 of 6,795
Thank for the explanation but isn't the shielding meant for this purpose? I did not encounter this on my Fiio x3II though.

I'm not an expert on RF Circuit design, so can't answer specifically.  But my understanding is that complete RF shielding is extremely difficult to engineer.  But I will have to let others answer on specifics of that.

Jun 26, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #4,840 of 6,795
  I'm not an expert on RF Circuit design, so can't answer specifically.  But my understanding is that complete RF shielding is extremely difficult to engineer.  But I will have to let others answer on specifics of that.

Yup, as you know this is what happens when you lack the proper shielding 
biggrin.gif

Jun 26, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #4,841 of 6,795
RF is very sneaky.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jun 26, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #4,842 of 6,795
Yup, as you know this is what happens when you lack the proper shielding 
biggrin.gif

I'm sorry, but that CRACKED ME UP!!!  Thanks!!!

Jun 27, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #4,845 of 6,795
Hi Paul,

Tried this against my other phone still encounter the hissing. This is not normal right?

The DX80 can pick up some interference from some phones. It can pick up WiFi and when the phone is being used.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back