iBasso DX80 . . impressions and reviews. . and discussion NEW FW: 1.6.0 ** link . . 1st page . . .
Apr 29, 2016 at 10:47 PM Post #4,099 of 6,795

Idk what that means.. I mean can I get the good things out of the hd650 with the dx80 or should I buy a 400i or pm3 or others?

it can drive them but not fully?

I used to own the HD600 but at the moment Im using the PM3 - The dx80 drives them wonderfully.  also have a portable yet powerful headphone amp - It gives the Pm3's a slightly different sound. On the whole though I prefer the un-amped pairing of DX80 with PM3

So basically the DX80 will drive the headphone very well. An external amp is not neccesary although on certain headphones an amp may give you better bass / treble response but then again that also depends on the quality of your hearing plus many other factors o_0
Boils down to what floats your sonic boat - what your ears tell ya :)

Apr 29, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #4,100 of 6,795
I used to own the HD600 but at the moment Im using the PM3 - The dx80 drives them wonderfully.  also have a portable yet powerful headphone amp - It gives the Pm3's a slightly different sound. On the whole though I prefer the un-amped pairing of DX80 with PM3

So basically the DX80 will drive the headphone very well. An external amp is not neccesary although on certain headphones an amp may give you better bass / treble response but then again that also depends on the quality of your hearing plus many other factors o_0
Boils down to what floats your sonic boat - what your ears tell ya :)

What so you feel about the pm 3 vs hd650 or he 400i or others in thst price range?

Apr 30, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #4,102 of 6,795
I don't know how the DX80 behaves when driven to its limits as I simply regularly don't listen at high volumes and don't need to push the DX80 to its limits with full-sized headphones, but I don't see/hear any lack of control when the DAP is driving more power-demanding full-sized headphones - it works very well amp-less for really high volume levels without losing fidelity.
But that's just me and others might see it differently of course.

Rock on, guys!

Apr 30, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #4,103 of 6,795
DX80 is one of the more powerful DAPs out there.
The maximum output voltages you can get before the amp starts to clip/distort is pretty high.

It would take a mains powered desktop amp or some beefy portable amp like the Mojo to get any more driving power, both for low and high impedance headphones.

Sound quality is subjective, but you don't want to use some weak amp that starts clipping and compressing, and claim that it sounds "hotter and more exciting"... 
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #4,104 of 6,795
New firmware my friends V.1.4.2

Improvements with this firmware:
1. Inability to press next song under All Music when with large media library corrected.
2. Unfold .cue file under Directory view.
3. Rectified the bug that some FLAC artwork could not be displayed.
4. Rectified the bug that one song repeat does not function when playing cue file.
5. Custom EQ setting now saved.
6. Improved M3U support.

best weekend Vlada

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #4,105 of 6,795
I'm using the DX80 also with a Fidelio X2. Volume 90 - 105 on the DX80 / high gain.
I was curious about the DX80 and an amp, so i bought a Heasdstage Arrow 5T. This is a great amp with many positive reviews.
I heard no change in sound because of the surplus of driving power. The DX80 has plenty driving power on it's own.
Mind this: the X2 is known to be easy to drive.

I'm listening on the DX80 with Firmware 1.1.4. The EQ doesnt work correctly in this FW, so i cant EQ the sound. That's where the Arrow 5T is coming in handy: It has great bass-boost and treble boost and works perfectly in enhancing the lesser-recordings (mostly old-skool rock/goth : Soundgarden, Sisters of Mercy and ..).
Of course i tried all the DX80-FW's, and played with the EQ, but i was unable to boost the sound the way the Arrow 5T does: perfect bass-boost options!

But with good, dynamic recordings, i appriciate the DX80 better. It has a bit more air / soundstage,  analytical, if you want to call it that,  as opposed to the Arrow 5T, which has a slightly smaller soundstage, but a more coherent / musically sound.

So, if i have to believe all the exultant reviews of the Headstage Arrow 5T(P/X), the DX80 is as good or even better, but without any boost-options. To my ears at least, ymmv. And i dont need the extra driving power. (So check out the classifieds 
wink_face.gif
)

Apr 30, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #4,106 of 6,795
  New firmware my friends V.1.4.2

Improvements with this firmware:
1. Inability to press next song under All Music when with large media library corrected.
2. Unfold .cue file under Directory view.
3. Rectified the bug that some FLAC artwork could not be displayed.
4. Rectified the bug that one song repeat does not function when playing cue file.
5. Custom EQ setting now saved.
6. Improved M3U support.

best weekend Vlada

Wow, that's real quick, a new FW. Although it was necessary, reading all the comments on the latest FW

Apr 30, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #4,108 of 6,795

Boils down to what floats your sonic boat - what your ears tell ya
smily_headphones1.gif

What so you feel about the pm 3 vs hd650 or he 400i or others in thst price range?

I have only owned and heard the 400s but it may well simply depend on how important portability is for you. The 650 & 400i are open back so you couldn't use them outside where as the pm3 is closed back.
If it didn't matter I suspect the 400i might be the better choice, however if I ever had the wish to use cans outside then the PM3 is a fabulous headphone -
I used them on a trip from UK to uSA recently and wore them the whole flight - superb comfort & isolation.
The PM3 are no doubt a superb headphone - I have read a few times people saying they feel it is THE best closed back out there in the price range.
I can only say they a mature sounding headphone, beutifully balanced rich warm signature that when listened to quietly and carefully with quality audio only increases my respect for them every time.
All 3 headphones are classics in their own right and are [relatively] close sounding 

Apr 30, 2016 at 6:21 AM Post #4,109 of 6,795
V1.4.2 seems to be OK and fixes almost all issues for me. 

Little issue left: when restarting de device (was playing random All Music when shut down), the current track is refound, but the first press on "next track" restarts it. Needs a second press to go to the next one.
This behavoiur is random, it not always happens.
The tap on "now playing" is also weird, sometimes doesn't work on that first song after restart. And sometimes it shows 1/0 on bottom of cover image (it's OK when next song is reached...). 

The "null" issue is still there:
I'm using a 200GB SD card (Patriot) with 9540 songs, mostly flac.
It's a selection, structured by album (they are not full albums).
Name of folder is Artist - Album.
Name of track is Track number Artis - Tittle
Tags are all good (at least Genre, Artist, Album Artist, Album, Track Tittle and Year).
The fisrst folders/songs on the card are:
801 - 801 Live/02 801 -TNK....flac
801 - 801 Live/09 801 - You Really Got Me(live).flac
801 - Listen Now/08 801 - Initial Speed.flac
These 3 songs are regisered in database with null Genre and null Artist, although tags are perfect.
DX80 doesn't like numbers in folder or file names ?
Hope it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back