iBasso DX80 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here
Jun 30, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #1,066 of 1,489
I think this had to do with too large album art size. Mine are stored in 350 x 350 pixels, so there hasn't been any problem since (yah, I know they're somewhat small, but when I re-ripped and tagged my music some years ago, it seemes like a reasonable size).

:D that might be it!
Luckily I haven't encountered any breaking errors as I just received my DX80 yesterday. I've been reading tons of reviews saying that Cayin N5 was better than DX80 soundwise.
But I haven't found any real reason to send back DX80 for it.

All my songs play well and scanning had no issues. I haven't seen any songs disappear and every file is accounted for.

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #1,067 of 1,489
Speaking of FLAC files and iTunes, so far all the music on my DX 80 is ripped lossless from CDs or downloaded material from hi res music vendors. Can you actually use content from the iTunes Store, though? I sort of assumed that anything that was copy protected or had DRM on it wouldn't work. Can someone clarify? Thanks.

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #1,068 of 1,489
Most songs that you purchase now from itunes do not have copy protection on them. Older stuff may. Any m4p will not play on the DX80. There are ways around this but that pulls way away from the thread.

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #1,069 of 1,489
Most songs that you purchase now from itunes do not have copy protection on them. Older stuff may. Any m4p will not play on the DX80. There are ways around this but that pulls way away from the thread.

OK, that's kind of what I thought. I know you can work around by burning files to a CD and then ripping them, but that brings the quality way down.

Jun 30, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #1,070 of 1,489
Jul 3, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #1,074 of 1,489
Hi,

I've recently bought a DX80 and while it's a wonderful sounding player - I'm really impressed with the sound - I have been having a few issues: almost all of which are related to the database.

For clarity, these are all under firmware 1.4.2.

• If the scanning routine crashes, presumably because of a file it doesn't like somewhere, the database ends up corrupt, This is a problem as the player won't then save any settings or remember the current playlist when the power is cycled. For example, assuming you changed the Power Management timeout to 'Never' for the DB scan, change it back to 20 minutes, and it'll shut down after 20 minutes, but the next time you switch on, it'll be back at 'Never'. The only cure seems to be a factory reset, and to work out which file(s) out of 20000 or so are causing the problem ... 

• There is no support for 'Album Artist' as a tag. OK, this isn't exactly a bug, it's the (lack of!) a feature, but for classical recordings, 'Artist' is often different throughout the CD, and you end up with only some tracks from the CD. For example, it's common to find Mendelssohn, Bruch, Tchaikovsky and Beethoven violin concertos together on a single release. Don't suppose there's any chance this could be added to the 'Future Features' pile?

• 'Artist' sorting appears to be broken: 

Any ideas for what might be causing this would be very welcome. If it's a bug, could it be added to the fixit pile please?

• If you use directory browsing, to workaround (2 and 3), the sort order is ASCII not Natural Ordering. This means you get track 1-10, then 100... or whatever, depending on how the tracks have been numbered. There is a workaround here, in that you then track all the way back to the 'My Music' tab, then 'Now Playing' and select the 'Album' sort. Could this be made a default, or could the player use the numeric Track tag by default, even when playing from a directory, or perhaps just implement natural ordering for directory browsing?

Jul 3, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #1,076 of 1,489
Originally Posted by Grenadier_45 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

'Artist' sorting appears to be broken: 

Check for leading spaces in Artist names in the tags.

Jul 3, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #1,077 of 1,489
  Check for leading spaces in Artist names in the tags.

Good shout - and I've just checked a reasonable selection of the ones in those screenshots and they're fine, so unless a small number of such tags would stop the entire database from sorting properly (which would be a bug in and of itself), I don't think it's that.

It's worth pointing out that all the FLACs I've copied to the DX80 are from the main network server which feeds a couple of Linn DS network streamers (via AssetUPNP) and a few Logitech Squeezeboxes (using LMS), and they all cope just fine, so I don't think there's a huge amount wrong with the tagging. I've put a fair bit of effort into that over the last 10 years or so ...

Keep the ideas coming though!

Jul 3, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #1,079 of 1,489
I had artist sorting problem with 1.3.3, not with 1.4.2 (but do havescanning issues now)

Interesting.

Initially I put a mix of files on the player, including FLACs, but also some MP3s from my old iRiver H140, and had no scanning issues with 1.3.3, but 1.4.2 falls over every time. I ran a file integrity scanner and deleted any that it couldn't fix, and still 1.4.2 didn't scan, so it's clearly a lot 'pickier' than the earlier firmware for some reason. Mind you, 1.3.3 took best part of 5 hours to scan 200GB of MP3s, so that wasn't exactly a brilliant solution either.

I then decided that maybe I should leave MP3s to the phone, changed tack, and dumped all lossy music for (fewer) FLACs. The FLACs are all from dBPoweramp rips, so are as 'safe' in terms of integrity and tag quality as it's going to get, plus they're well-proven on the main home network. Happily, that solved the scanning problem, but the Artist sorting problem then raised its head. In some ways, it doesn't really matter, as 'Artist' is of limited use to me anyway, given that it scatters bits of many albums all round the place, but the way it's working at present isn't helpful at all.

There's only one thing I can think of which might have messed things up and that's that I scanned the two cards separately: I filled the first one, put it in the DX80 and scanned it, whilst simultaneously filling the second card on the computer. When that was filled, I put that in the DX80 and asked it to scan card 2 That couldn't be the problem... could it?!

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #1,080 of 1,489
Hello , I am having weird "bugs" (firmware 1.4.2) :

My battery is draining faster with this configuration : ibasso lineout > amp > iem than ibasso heaphone out > iem, with the same iems of course. With my other daps I can almost double my playtime with the amp configuration and not here why ?? .

I play my music mostly thru folder, and when I play an album and the player shuts down (energy saving) and then I restart it to play another album, it plays the first song then stop and if I skip song it plays the previous album's next song, but if I shut it down my self with the button and restart the player it doesn't happen.

I did some reset, it helps but not for long on the second issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back