iBasso DX50 MODS
Dec 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #61 of 378
  Little update...

Edit: One thing for sure imho - stock Jovials have been beaten by Panasonic FC & Vishay BC 038 RSU. This is subjective of course and depends on Firmware being used & headphones/IEMs too.

Is it possible to use different caps?like 1 Nichicon + 1Panasonic per channel?do you think you can get something better than same 2 caps pers channel? :) also,can you achieve better sound using 330uf 10v instead of 220uf 10v?

Dec 3, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #62 of 378
I`m testing 330uF 10V Panasonic AM and it sounds great but I doubt that littlebit larger capacitance makes sound better than same type 220uF capacitor. Maybe it can drive some HPs fraction better (no idea though) but main capacitor sound differences come from different manufacturer and type. 

Abut mixing caps... hmmm, interesting idea because 1 channel uses 2 caps in parallel, so it can be done but I don`t know if mixing up different spec caps is good idea. I owe an answer regarding this because I`m not so smart about capacitor technicalities.

Edit:
Been changing capacitors and testing with different songs...

Panasonic FC >= VishayBC 038 RSU > Panasonic AM >= Jovial TK >= Panasonic FR > Panasonic FM

Of course this line-up might change because only FM have had over 30h playtime and I haven`t done detailed analytical comparing yet, just judging overall SQ, soundstage, imaging, clarity and mids. Will do proper comparing when all caps have crossed at least 48h playtime. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #63 of 378
  I`m testing 330uF 10V Panasonic AM and it sounds great but I doubt that littlebit larger capacitance makes sound better than same type 220uF capacitor. Maybe it can drive some HPs fraction better (no idea though) but main capacitor sound differences come from different manufacturer and type. 

Abut mixing caps... hmmm, interesting idea because 1 channel uses 2 caps in parallel, so it can be done but I don`t know if mixing up different spec caps is good idea. I owe an answer regarding this because I`m not so smart about capacitor technicalities.

Much has to do with the quality of the cap and where it is being used in the circuit. Black Gates, no longer made, are great in the analog section, and IMO, have no equal, but they aren't the best in the digital section. Also, with BG's if you bypass them, it must be with another BG but with other caps, you can mix types for bypassing. A good film cap bypassing an electrolytic can work but it remains up to the listening. Also, many caps take time to form so you won't know the true outcome in sound for sometimes, several hundred hours of use, which can be maddening when trying to recap and get the best results. Black Gates are really best if left on all the time and can take 800 hours for a full forming/burn in. Some believe this, some don't. Audio Note UK does and states this and they make make some of the best equipment in the world, IMO. 

Reading can help, getting other opinions on actual use and findings after that use and then go from there. 

Dec 3, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #64 of 378
Yeah, I would burn them all longer and then do a review but that takes too long time... I may just sink into music during that time and forget about this thread existence 
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #66 of 378
so is changing to ADA4897-1ARZ helps for headphones with 16 ohm?do I get that " Powerful attack on drums kicks, excellent control of resonance" ? as first you've stated "The first impression is very deceptive!: trebble-ish, no bass, complete lack of body..." Did not understood what you did after that made you change you're mind!

Dec 4, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #69 of 378
The DAC differential amplifier need a dual OP amp; the ADA4897-1 is a single one
There is a dual version; the ADA4896-2 , but only in MSOP-8 package, not in SOIC-8
Anyway, i have try the ADA4896-2 for the differential amplifier, and I love it! its my actual differential amplifier
but, warning,  its a extreme MOD! do not try at home!!

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #70 of 378
Dammit, cut away those stock TK Jovial UTSJ caps too close and can`t resolder leads -.- I do not care about them anymore but wanted to do comparing also with stock caps.
Weird thing is, I can`t find any place where I could buy those Jovials in 220uF 10V 6.3x11mm specs. 

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #71 of 378
ok,so you say for differential amplifier to use ADA4896-2 (ADA4896-2ARMZ complete name) and for the rest ADA4897-1ARZ so will I get the  " Powerful attack on drums kicks, excellent control of resonance" ? :)

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #72 of 378
Have You even tried all those FW`s I linked to You? Have You tried other IEMs? ....instead You jump straight to hardest "HW mod" and hope everything will be like with Your EQ-d Z3 phone. Sorry but this seems littlebit silly
rolleyes.gif
 Like I told in other thread, imho You are starting this all from wrong end. But do as You wish.

Edit:

Btw, @babs ,really recommend You to try VishayBC 038 RSU series caps if You bother. "Buttery" sound and great mids while still keeping clarity and soundstage.
Male vocals are superb! Makes me think like I have just plugged in Amperex OG 6DJ8 tube to my Aune T1.
Really enjoying those caps with both, NDFFFinal & SU 1.3.3 firmware. Still burning them in but I forget about analysing sound all the time and just fall into music
atsmile.gif
 Of course they might not be the best caps after burning in other caps but they just sound very good from the beginning and even better after ~20h playtime... IMO.

Dec 4, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #75 of 378
tried some favorite final,super bass,mega bass version! so far I am at sound unloked 1.4.I'll try again some doc's ff and again that ultra bass edition.at the moment I like irr on + cpu 312 for mp3 and irr of + default for flac,with 1.4 but I still have to test!
Tested Creative ep-830 and Sony MDR-V500 and both of them sounds awful,complete disaster,but this is what I have in the hosue at the moment.
Still,hardware mod can better improve the sound,and it's not so difficult to get what I need,and the cost is around 30 euros.it's harder to get the panasonic and nichicon caps,but maybe I'll find something!for soldering the caps I'm ok,as I changed all caps on a jbl e250p subwoofer,and if something require more skills,I have a friend with a phone repairing store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back