iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Sep 5, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #14,431 of 14,618
I have used AMP14 a lot. No RF have I had and only a little ringing when I put the plug in. Great amp IMO and no issues for me.

Sep 5, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #14,432 of 14,618
This is where we agree to disagree, the SP2000T even when demoing in store had noise issues esp due to them charging other daps nearby for whatever reason. On the DX314 I didnt get any noise.

N3 Pro isnt a nutube but a proper triode vaccum tube. Also Ive had reliable data from my friend that vibration on the N3 pro esp on trains and busses makes the noise go crazy.

Then again both instances are pretty situational and yeah I do hope they do add more shielding(tbh I think the want to showcase the nutube though a window on the DX320 might be the issue why it isnt as entombed in metal as it could be) to whenever they release the next nutube product.

Also if Sony is still doing their house sound I think I'll pass over it then. Thanks.
Noted! Thank you for the reproof about the N3 Pro. Safe to say our experiences differed with SP2000T. I can't speak to how a store demo was handled. But the SP2000T that I auditioned was new out of the box and seldom used by the owner. I also believe that AMP14 may have been better suited for the DX320 due to the reasons you mentioned.

Sep 5, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #14,433 of 14,618
I appreciate your input. One shouldn't have to resort to all those caveats to use a product intended for mobile use. That being said, the AMP14 card that I had rang excessively in between songs, regardless of me handling the device. The RF interference was caused by my phone, keyboard, mouse and certain unshielded copper IEM cables being tangled/coiled anywhere near the DX300.

Also, I rarely if ever mention displeasure with a product, and most certainly wouldn't speak on it if I did not do a considerable amount of troubleshooting. Either I had a defective AMP14 or there were some aspects of the design of the module that weren't taken into consideration when being used with the DX300.

I've owned or extensively demoed devices from another DAP manufacturer with Korg Nutubes that did not emit ringing noise or was susceptible to RF interference. So I know it is in the realm possibility design wise.

Not a knock against iBasso.. They are on to something with AMP14. But in the current state it was borderline unusable for me. I respect their R&D and engineering prowess.. I just don't feel like experimenting with half baked hardware or software when I'm listening to music. Music is a form of rejuvenation and relaxation for me.

Pardon the lengthy response.
For reference the Astell & Kern ACRO CA1000T which I owned did not ring. Neither did the Astell & Kern SP2000T which I demoed for 5 weeks. Same for the Cayin N3 Pro which I had on loan for 2 weeks. All 3 devices had Korg Nutubes implemented and neither had ringing or RF interference.

I wouldn't discredit iBasso's or Korg's Engineers to say that they couldn't fix that ringing issue. Maybe they had an impossible deadline.. No matter the explanation, I'm hoping they can rectify that wrinkle in a future product release.

I think the DX300 is a marvelous product and I've used mine every day since February 2021. I'm looking forward to whatever they make next.
I would also respectfully agree to disagree. If any of those devices you mentioned uses the Nutube 6P1, then there is going to be ringing. It is physics, no matter the apparatus that is used to absorb shock. You can check it out for yourself here.

As for the RF noise, that is totally on iBasso, no matter the excuses that other members give. It CAN be (at least) lessened just using some household materials, also tested by others on this forum.

Having said all of that, I have never found any sort of noise an issue as it has never done it for anything except when the WiFi is actually active (i.e. at the buffering of a song that is streaming), and then it is totally black. If you have different experiences on this, then I am truly sorry, but you are in the minority, and unlucky to boot.

Sep 6, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #14,434 of 14,618
I would also respectfully agree to disagree. If any of those devices you mentioned uses the Nutube 6P1, then there is going to be ringing. It is physics, no matter the apparatus that is used to absorb shock. You can check it out for yourself here.

As for the RF noise, that is totally on iBasso, no matter the excuses that other members give. It CAN be (at least) lessened just using some household materials, also tested by others on this forum.

Having said all of that, I have never found any sort of noise an issue as it has never done it for anything except when the WiFi is actually active (i.e. at the buffering of a song that is streaming), and then it is totally black. If you have different experiences on this, then I am truly sorry, but you are in the minority, and unlucky to boot.
Thank you for your input. This is why I seldom express displeasure with products on Head-Fi. I can only speak to my experiences. If you didn't experience that issue, that's awesome. However, that doesn't mean that one should dismiss someone else's experiences with said product. Respectfully, I'm not certain why you're apologizing. AMP14 had some personally unacceptable issues for me and I moved on from it.

Nothing but love for iBasso. The DX300 is a unicorn product. It punched above it's price point and remains a competitive product 2+ years after it was originally made generally available.

Sep 6, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #14,435 of 14,618
Nothing but love for iBasso. The DX300 is a unicorn product. It punched above it's price point and remains a competitive product 2+ years after it was originally made generally available.
This we can totally agree upon... :) I never even considered "upgrading" to the DX320 when it first came out for that reason.
Thank you for your input. This is why I seldom express displeasure with products on Head-Fi. I can only speak to my experiences. If you didn't experience that issue, that's awesome. However, that doesn't mean that one should dismiss someone else's experiences with said product. Respectfully, I'm not certain why you're apologizing. AMP14 had some personally unacceptable issues for me and I moved on from it.
If I did come across that way, I (at least) wasn't meaning to sound dismissive. We all have different experiences with different devices. I simply wanted there to be more than just the bad out there for those that are still considering buying said product. And I was also not completely sure that you were aware of the engineering nightmare that Korg created for iBasso with the 6P1 module (since it is under glass, it is difficult to change much). So, while iBasso could have done a better job in securing the module from shock (besides simple double sided tape), I don't hold iBasso completely to blame for this. I just think that in order for them to be "innovative" they needed to make some sacrifices. I think that Cayin figured it out later using a tension sling of a sort to mount it to the PCB.... :wink:

Also, as mentioned, there really is no excuse for a lack of shielding for the amp. Fortunately, my experience on this has not been one that would make me stop using the card.

Apologies are normally given by me where there is a disagreement, but not meant to be confrontational. :)

Sep 6, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #14,436 of 14,618
This we can totally agree upon... :) I never even considered "upgrading" to the DX320 when it first came out for that reason.

If I did come across that way, I (at least) wasn't meaning to sound dismissive. We all have different experiences with different devices. I simply wanted there to be more than just the bad out there for those that are still considering buying said product. And I was also not completely sure that you were aware of the engineering nightmare that Korg created for iBasso with the 6P1 module (since it is under glass, it is difficult to change much). So, while iBasso could have done a better job in securing the module from shock (besides simple double sided tape), I don't hold iBasso completely to blame for this. I just think that in order for them to be "innovative" they needed to make some sacrifices. I think that Cayin figured it out later using a tension sling of a sort to mount it to the PCB.... :wink:

Also, as mentioned, there really is no excuse for a lack of shielding for the amp. Fortunately, my experience on this has not been one that would make me stop using the card.

Apologies are normally given by me where there is a disagreement, but not meant to be confrontational. :)
No offense taken at all @samandhi!

Sep 8, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #14,437 of 14,618
Hello
I own ibasso dx300 with amp12ex np and want to try out an module with tubes becauae i like their sound style. Now I don't know which one to choose. Amp13 should sound tubeyer and amp14 more reference like. I don't need the max power driving hifiman sundara and denon ah-d9200.mostly. how does these modules compare to the modded amp12 and are they worthy switching because I am quiet happy with the amp12ex np.
Thanks in advance Jonathan

Sep 8, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #14,438 of 14,618
Hello
I own ibasso dx300 with amp12ex np and want to try out an module with tubes becauae i like their sound style. Now I don't know which one to choose. Amp13 should sound tubeyer and amp14 more reference like. I don't need the max power driving hifiman sundara and denon ah-d9200.mostly. how does these modules compare to the modded amp12 and are they worthy switching because I am quiet happy with the amp12ex np.
Thanks in advance Jonathan
AMP14 if you're using a balanced cable. I can't speak to the differences in sound quality or presentation as my AMP12 is stock, and I no longer own AMP14.

Sep 11, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #14,439 of 14,618
BTW, which amp module do you prefer with FD7 and why?

I finally ordered them and started thinking if it's worth also buying AMP12 for a good price or I can safely stay with my AMP11MK2 (haven't listened to it for a long time) and AMP13 (nice one though SE only and RFI freaks me out when streaming)

Sep 11, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #14,440 of 14,618
BTW, which amp module do you prefer with FD7 and why?

I finally ordered them and started thinking if it's worth also buying AMP12 for a good price or I can safely stay with my AMP11MK2 (haven't listened to it for a long time) and AMP13 (nice one though SE only and RFI freaks me out when streaming)
AMP11mk2 and AMP14. At least the more agrassive with better micro details suits the FD7 better for me.

AMP12 is too dead sounding for me and AMP13 is too warm.

Sep 11, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #14,441 of 14,618
AMP11mk2 and AMP14. At least the more agrassive with better micro details suits the FD7 better for me.

AMP12 is too dead sounding for me and AMP13 is too warm.
Which one has the most natural and transparent timbre and timing (decays, reverb etc.) without extra coloration and unnatural sharpness?

Sep 11, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #14,442 of 14,618
Which one has the most natural and transparent timbre and timing (decays, reverb etc.) without extra coloration and unnatural sharpness?
For my ears it is still the stock card (Amp11.2). Amp 12 is the "analytical" powerhouse card, Amp13 is the warm sound with slower attacks and decays, Amp11.2 is the middle ground (balanced sound), and Amp14 is somewhere in between Amp13 and stock card.

Sep 11, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #14,443 of 14,618
For my ears it is still the stock card (Amp11.2). Amp 12 is the "analytical" powerhouse card, Amp13 is the warm sound with slower attacks and decays, Amp11.2 is the middle ground (balanced sound), and Amp14 is somewhere in between Amp13 and stock card.
Ok, so as the raw power difference between 12 and 11.2 is relatively modest it sounds wiser to just stick with 11.2 for Timeless, FD7 and Solitaire T then instead of throwing money into 12 module.

Sep 11, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #14,444 of 14,618
Ok, so as the raw power difference between 12 and 11.2 is relatively modest it sounds wiser to just stick with 11.2 for Timeless, FD7 and Solitaire T then instead of throwing money into 12 module.
Yes, if more natural, timbre, tone, balanced overall sound, etc are what you are looking for (though transparency, staging, etc... will still go to the Amp12 card). Though, I wouldn't exactly call the power difference modest. There is almost a full Watt differential.

Keep in mind that this decision will also depend on the synergy between the head gear and the amp cards. It could be that the Amp12 card might sound better to you with the FD7, or Timeless, etc... Your best bet would be to order from Amazon to "audition" it before you make such a decision (if you can). I personally find that the OG Timeless sound best (to my ears) with the Amp12 card. Being a planar, they tend to scale well with more power, and they synergize well with this card.

For all of these wonderful (but painful to decide upon) amp cards, I tend to look at it as though you have (potentially) 4 almost completely different DAPs. Their signatures are all different enough that it really is worth having them all, if you have enough head gear that synergizes well with them. I have at least 2 or 3 that sound best out of each one, so for me it is totally worth it. As usual though, YMMV.

If money is an issue though, the stock card can handily cover (most) all your needs all by itself. It is very versatile. And, as mentioned, is the most neutral of the bunch (IMHO). :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #14,445 of 14,618
Yes, if more natural, timbre, tone, balanced overall sound, etc are what you are looking for (though transparency, staging, etc... will still go to the Amp12 card). Though, I wouldn't exactly call the power difference modest. There is almost a full Watt differential.

Keep in mind that this decision will also depend on the synergy between the head gear and the amp cards. It could be that the Amp12 card might sound better to you with the FD7, or Timeless, etc... Your best bet would be to order from Amazon to "audition" it before you make such a decision (if you can). I personally find that the OG Timeless sound best (to my ears) with the Amp12 card. Being a planar, they tend to scale well with more power, and they synergize well with this card.

For all of these wonderful (but painful to decide upon) amp cards, I tend to look at it as though you have (potentially) 4 almost completely different DAPs. Their signatures are all different enough that it really is worth having them all, if you have enough head gear that synergizes well with them. I have at least 2 or 3 that sound best out of each one, so for me it is totally worth it. As usual though, YMMV.

If money is an issue though, the stock card can handily cover (most) all your needs all by itself. It is very versatile. And, as mentioned, is the most neutral of the bunch (IMHO). :wink:
Thanks a lot! Actually I'm way too lazy to change amps every time I want to experience a bit different signature :) so I prefer to have an amp which allows different HPs/IEMs to reveal their nature, adding minimum of its own color while still being musical and neither too smooth nor unrealistically revealing and analytical

Users who are viewing this thread

Back