iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jun 29, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #13,501 of 14,596
In order to use the dx300 dac you have to go through line out to your amp. I use it with my Soloist GT and wa22 like that . I'm assuming when you say you have to use it with another source that is what you mean?
Oh, I thought you were wanting to use the DX300 as a DAC for some other source. What you are describing is using the DAC of the DX300 but the amp of another device, correct? Yes, then you would go from LO of your DX to LI of your amp. If that is the case, using Amp13, use the low voltage output and set your volume to around 75%-100% (anything below that and you start to lose dynamics). But you don't have to change the setting on the DX300 to LO, because that is not a true LO. You are still going through the amp, but it is low voltage (just like a true LO would be).

Make sure that the input of your other device is not balanced because amp 13 has SE only ouput, or you could fry your circuits in the DX (or both devices). Though iBasso makes a special adapter cable for this if you need it. Just get a hold of @ Paul - iBasso.
Curiosity moment here:

In settings, if you type ULTIMATE in the search box, the ultimate mode (for 300MAX) pops up…but you can’t click on it. It just takes you to the Audio page.

Is there a way to enable this? There are 8 channels to use, so it should be possible. Does it need root access? Or can ADB do it?
That is very interesting find! What made you think to type that in search?

Though I doubt anyone would know if it is possible or not because that isn't android. It is iBasso proprietary coding inside of android. You could try and experiment with it. At worst, you would have to reinstall the OS (or FW) to fix any app or setting that you might break. :)

As for me, it seems as though it wouldn't be possible to enable this without adding coding, because I would imagine the functionality is based on either hardware or an ID of some sort (or a header file possibly that tells the program that it is a MAX) to trigger enable or disable.

Edit: Or maybe the code was yanked out, but the header was left there (which is why it shows up in search, but takes you nowhere).

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #13,502 of 14,596
Oh, I thought you were wanting to use the DX300 as a DAC for some other source. What you are describing is using the DAC of the DX300 but the amp of another device, correct? Yes, then you would go from LO of your DX to LI of your amp. If that is the case, using Amp13, use the low voltage output and set your volume to around 75%-100% (anything below that and you start to lose dynamics). But you don't have to change the setting on the DX300 to LO, because that is not a true LO. You are still going through the amp, but it is low voltage (just like a true LO would be).

Make sure that the input of your other device is not balanced because amp 13 has SE only ouput, or you could fry your circuits in the DX (or both devices). Though iBasso makes a special adapter cable for this if you need it. Just get a hold of @ Paul - iBasso.

That is very interesting find! What made you think to type that in search?

Though I doubt anyone would know if it is possible or not because that isn't android. It is iBasso proprietary coding inside of android. You could try and experiment with it. At worst, you would have to reinstall the OS (or FW) to fix any app or setting that you might break. :)

As for me, it seems as though it wouldn't be possible to enable this without adding coding, because I would imagine the functionality is based on either hardware or an ID of some sort (or a header file possibly that tells the program that it is a MAX) to trigger enable or disable.
Yes that is exactly what ubwas talking about. I was trying to find out for someone else. I will let him know. Thx

Jun 29, 2022 at 10:15 PM Post #13,503 of 14,596
Yes that is exactly what ubwas talking about. I was trying to find out for someone else. I will let him know. Thx
Let them know that if they decide to get an aftermarket adapter cable for this (if they need one), to be careful because a lot of 3rd party makers will say it is compatible, but in actuality isn't wired correctly (regardless how they advertise it). Point is, that it would be a crapshoot as to whether the DX300 would be in danger or not, while the cable from iBasso has been used by users on this thread and proven to work properly. Just my $.02 because I don't use this method to connect... :)

Jun 29, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #13,504 of 14,596
Let them know that if they decide to get an aftermarket adapter cable for this (if they need one), to be careful because a lot of 3rd party makers will say it is compatible, but in actuality isn't wired correctly (regardless how they advertise it). Point is, that it would be a crapshoot as to whether the DX300 would be in danger or not, while the cable from iBasso has been used by users on this thread and proven to work properly. Just my $.02 because I don't use this method to connect... :)
Will do. Thanks for all the help!

Jun 30, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #13,505 of 14,596
This song sounds really good on the Amp13 w/DX300. I haven't listened to this since my car "bumpin'" days. :sunglasses: This was one of my favorites (along with DJ Magic Mike and Kid N Play). Just some nostalgia:

Bonus:

Jul 1, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #13,506 of 14,596
This song sounds really good on the Amp13 w/DX300. I haven't listened to this since my car "bumpin'" days. :sunglasses: This was one of my favorites (along with DJ Magic Mike and Kid N Play). Just some nostalgia:

Bonus:

Man, that brings back some great memories. I bumped those joints in my '71 Impala back in the '90's. It had a custom built Rockford Fosgate system that could deliver earthshaking bass!

Jul 1, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #13,507 of 14,596
Man, that brings back some great memories. I bumped those joints in my '71 Impala back in the '90's. It had a custom built Rockford Fosgate system that could deliver earthshaking bass!
Very nice!

Old stroked out Cutlass that would cam like nobody's business (though hard to keep running at idle). :) It had 2 15" Kicker brand speakers under glass, 1K Watt amp (forget name now), Targa (I think) passive EQ unit, Alpine removeable face head unit, Rockford Fosgate 6'x9's in the rear, and Alpines in the front and door. Those were some fun days building that up with my buddies.

Jul 1, 2022 at 6:33 AM Post #13,508 of 14,596
Very nice!

Old stroked out Cutlass that would cam like nobody's business (though hard to keep running at idle). :) It had 2 15" Kicker brand speakers under glass, 1K Watt amp (forget name now), Targa (I think) passive EQ unit, Alpine removeable face head unit, Rockford Fosgate 6'x9's in the rear, and Alpines in the front and door. Those were some fun days building that up with my buddies.
Sh.....t man! We went all out. You couldn't have told us nothing back then! Those were great years for music as well as living. Seemed like everyone got along and it was just smooth coastin'. I was in college back then so maybe that's the reason.

Jul 2, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #13,509 of 14,596
So it's just like the Amp 11 mk2 where you just swipe down on the quick setting menu and select line out? I know amp 12 has a dedicated line out so no need to select in the drop down box.
In order to use the dx300 dac you have to go through line out to your amp. I use it with my Soloist GT and wa22 like that . I'm assuming when you say you have to use it with another source that is what you mean?
I am considering a use case like this with a desktop headphone amp. The amp12 with a dedicated balanced output seems like a better solution than using a headphone output with the software line out option. But still it's easy to make a mistake and accidentally use the wrong output port.

For a desktop setup, do you think it's any better to get a dedicated DAC? E.g. the new Topping A90 Discrete. I am considering a few options.

Option 1a: DX312 as the source + headphone amp.

Option 1b: Phone as the source + DX312 in USB (or BT) DAC mode + headphone amp.

Option 2: Phone + Topping A90 + headphone amp.

The first option (1a and 1b) looks more flexible. Unlike my new phone, the DX312 supports the SD card. It allows to save the phone battery while using the phone is still a possibility. The second option is more limited and expensive (considering I already own the DX300). But I wonder if it makes any sense in terms of sound quality.

On a side note, I am also looking at the new network players from Matrix Audio. They seem very interesting. But I am not sure I like all-in-one solutions.

Jul 2, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #13,510 of 14,596
I vote option 1. You already have the DX300 and the LO from amp12 works great. I have been doing this with my work set up. Option 1b seems more complicated and unnecessary IMO. I’ve never been a fan of using Apple devices as a source, and I own a few of them.

I am a fan of using networked solutions to get away from computer noise. Using a network player gave me a big boost in SQ. I was quite surprised the first time I tried it. Not familiar with the offering from Matrix Audio, so no opinion there.

Jul 2, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #13,511 of 14,596
I am considering a use case like this with a desktop headphone amp. The amp12 with a dedicated balanced output seems like a better solution than using a headphone output with the software line out option. But still it's easy to make a mistake and accidentally use the wrong output port.

For a desktop setup, do you think it's any better to get a dedicated DAC? E.g. the new Topping A90 Discrete. I am considering a few options.

Option 1a: DX312 as the source + headphone amp.

Option 1b: Phone as the source + DX312 in USB (or BT) DAC mode + headphone amp.

Option 2: Phone + Topping A90 + headphone amp.

The first option (1a and 1b) looks more flexible. Unlike my new phone, the DX312 supports the SD card. It allows to save the phone battery while using the phone is still a possibility. The second option is more limited and expensive (considering I already own the DX300). But I wonder if it makes any sense in terms of sound quality.

On a side note, I am also looking at the new network players from Matrix Audio. They seem very interesting. But I am not sure I like all-in-one solutions.
I vote option 1. You already have the DX300 and the LO from amp12 works great. I have been doing this with my work set up. Option 1b seems more complicated and unnecessary IMO. I’ve never been a fan of using Apple devices as a source, and I own a few of them.

I am a fan of using networked solutions to get away from computer noise. Using a network player gave me a big boost in SQ. I was quite surprised the first time I tried it. Not familiar with the offering from Matrix Audio, so no opinion there.
Option 1 here, too. I have a dx312 dedicated LO to a Topping A90. Dx312EX-NP when on the go (PO).

Jul 2, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #13,515 of 14,596
Just bought the Amp 13 and noticing interference type distortion while playing songs. Anybody else having that sort of issue?
Turn the wifi off. The AK with the Nutube does the same thing. Tubes can pick up RF very easily. In the military we used metal shields for tubes but not really practical in most applications like these tiny daps (by comparison).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back