iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Feb 13, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #10,726 of 14,596
Now, as more i listen to the sp1k, i catch myself getting bored faster and i switch to the dx300. The transparency, airiness, smoothness and the detail on the dx300 are so enjoying. And i found the it07 sounding better with the dx300, they did a great job with the synergy tuning. I know these daps are over 3 years apart but the amount of a value put in the dx300 is astonishing. And now with the amp12EXN will be even greater. And who knows what extra amps for the dx300 future brings. I mean more amps, even more modifications maybe. Its a very promising sound platform.

Feb 13, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #10,727 of 14,596
I didn't like the way the Cerafine were going. Started ok, then really good then thin and a little aggressive and thin. Popped in some non polar Black Gate 16 volt. Will work on the other 3 caps in the power supply but first want these to burn in and see how it goes. Don't like the sound right now but they haven't even warmed up, let along burned in more than a few minutes. :^)

Attachments

• IMG_0944.jpeg
    IMG_0944.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0945.jpeg
    IMG_0945.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 13, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #10,728 of 14,596
I didn't like the way the Cerafine were going. Started ok, then really good then thin and a little aggressive and thin. Popped in some non polar Black Gate 16 volt. Will work on the other 3 caps in the power supply but first want these to burn in and see how it goes. Don't like the sound right now but they haven't even warmed up, let along burned in more than a few minutes. :^)
Interesting. Isn't there a way to burn the caps in before installation? Apply some type of continuous power to control and even expedite the burn in process?

Feb 13, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #10,729 of 14,596
Interesting. Isn't there a way to burn the caps in before installation? Apply some type of continuous power to control and even expedite the burn in process?
Yes, and I have a very precise and expensive cap checker and it will apply any voltage you choose, does ESR tests etc., but I burned out something in it a few years ago and it is over 600 dollars for the repair. Need to get it repaired and frankly, I wouldn't use it that way again.

These caps haven't had any real voltage on them since 2007, when they were made. They are already forming and the sound is opening up but BGs can take a huge length of time to fully burn in and even then, need reforming if a device has been off very long. But they are still the best but many people never give them enough burn in time. I have pulled them from projects in the past, only to force myself to reinstall and let them burn in which I worked on something else for a month or so.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #10,730 of 14,596
You're not... that's why I sent mine to @Whitigir for the EX Mod. I couldn't hold off any longer and since he had the supplies I decided to pull the trigger and go for it. I should have it back by Tuesday.

Almost Tuesday!
Could you give us your impression of the EX when you receive it?
Would love to hear a comparison between the EX and the original amp12 :)

Feb 14, 2022 at 2:18 PM Post #10,734 of 14,596
And the NP uses even higher quality components.
I look forward to hearing comparisons between the various amp12 mods in terms of tonal and technical differences but I have also learned over many years of tweaking tube amps that "higher quality" parts in no way guarantee "better sound." The synergy of the parts matters most and you can achieve absolutely stunning results with "mediocre" parts - sometimes only be trial and error and precisely NOT by following the assumptions of quality based on price. I used to hang around over at Computer Audiophile a lot until I got very tired of every little digital "upgrade" leading to a "bump in SQ." It seems there were no tweaks that hurt sound quality ever! The equation of spending more money leading to "better sound" was simply not borne out by reality for me. The very term SQ is unhelpfuly vague and, at times, misleading. It's part of the cable discussions as well - the assumption that a more expensive cable (or material therein) is always better. It's a trap that has trickled down from hi-end 2-channel audio where $500,000 systems have to justify their existence by reinforcing over and over the notion that more $ = better sound, always and no matter what. Anyway, I don't want to veer off topic but just felt compelled to put this out there so we can remind ourselves to use our ears as the final arbiters (and not our pocket books), as well as agreed-upon vocabulary pertaining to tone and technicalities to epxress the sonic differences we hear. I will be receiving my amp12ex shortly and will gladly share my findings. Cheers

Feb 14, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #10,735 of 14,596
I look forward to hearing comparisons between the various amp12 mods in terms of tonal and technical differences but I have also learned over many years of tweaking tube amps that "higher quality" parts in no way guarantee "better sound." The synergy of the parts matters most and you can achieve absolutely stunning results with "mediocre" parts - sometimes only be trial and error and precisely NOT by following the assumptions of quality based on price. I used to hang around over at Computer Audiophile a lot until I got very tired of every little digital "upgrade" leading to a "bump in SQ." It seems there were no tweaks that hurt sound quality ever! The equation of spending more money leading to "better sound" was simply not borne out by reality for me. The very term SQ is unhelpfuly vague and, at times, misleading. It's part of the cable discussions as well - the assumption that a more expensive cable (or material therein) is always better. It's a trap that has trickled down from hi-end 2-channel audio where $500,000 systems have to justify their existence by reinforcing over and over the notion that more $ = better sound, always and no matter what. Anyway, I don't want to veer off topic but just felt compelled to put this out there so we can remind ourselves to use our ears as the final arbiters (and not our pocket books), as well as agreed-upon vocabulary pertaining to tone and technicalities to epxress the sonic differences we hear. I will be receiving my amp12ex shortly and will gladly share my findings. Cheers
I am in agreeance. For instance, I am a big fan of 4-core cables for being thin, and convenient. I have yet to hear a difference in one and something like a 16-core cable (provided materials and quality are equal). Though I CAN hear a difference in better materials/quality even in the same type of cable.

But sometimes an upgrade is just what it sounds like too, an upgrade, higher price or not. It IS hard nowadays to pick out the difference between paying for snake oil and real quality improvements. That is why I mostly stick to known quantities, and am not much of an early adopter.

Feb 14, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #10,736 of 14,596
Trying a polystyrene .01 bypass and a Cerafine in the PS.

Attachments

• IMG_0954.jpeg
    IMG_0954.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Feb 14, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #10,737 of 14,596
I can not say it better, bravo !!

Trying a polystyrene .01 bypass and a Cerafine in the PS.

I am loving it !!! Seeing DIY process, tweaks and tunes on the Amp12. The modules is a play ground for sure, and Ibasso is amazing stuff

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #10,740 of 14,596
Are there any specific settings to get fully unfolded MQA? I just set bit perfect in settings and still have one unfold i think.
You need to be on firmware 1.05 minimum

If your already on 1.05 firmware then I dunno. I'm at work but when I get home I'll take a look at my settings.

Make sure Upsample is on

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back