iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Feb 6, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #10,606 of 14,596
@Whitigir I was looking the neutron settings you have published in this article (https://www.headpie.net/2021/09/neutron-music-player-recommended-app.html) for DX300 and I am bit confused and would need your help

My favorite setting here is dithering , 64 bits, and Oversampling by Neutron engines to get the maximize processing from Neutron and then Oversampled by using Dx300 and Dx220Max digital filters as well. This mode will net in the most slams, dynamic, imagings, black background and vivid resolutions

To achieve the effect of last bolded statement (No matter Neutron's archaic UI, I love the sound)

1. Should DX312/311 be in NOS filter Mode (D5 - current setting in my case) or in other 4 digital filters (if it is, which one) ?

2. Is my Neutron Settings (bolded is what I have currently selected) correct ?
a. Settings --> Profile --> Bit-perfect
b. Settings --> Playback --> 64 bit processing ON
c. Settings --> Playback --> Resampling --> Audiophile
d. Settings --> Audio Hardware --> MONO OFF --> UPMIX ON --> DITHER ON --> PHASE INVERSION TO HARDWARE GAIN (ALL OFF) --> AUDIO FOCUS ON --> DIRECT USB ACCESS ON --> DSD OVER PCM ON --> OVERSAMPLING 16x --> FOLLOW SOURCE FREQUENCY ON

I dont understand the difference between follow source frequency and bit-perfect. Are they both the same ? Can you have bit-perfect and still oversample the signal ? I have 220Max as well and wondering if the same settings would work ?

I have Z1R and Trio which are my go to for bass and holographic staging... Your guidance on the above settings would be very much appreciated !

Feb 6, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #10,607 of 14,596
I have dithering turned off and oversampling at 16x on dx312 and it sounds amazing.

IMG_20220206_130358.jpg

Feb 6, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #10,608 of 14,596
I have dithering turned off and oversampling at 16x on dx312 and it sounds amazing.

IMG_20220206_130358.jpg
Thanks for the feedback ! Is Dithering needed to be ON (as in @Whitigir article) for DSD music or does it have any tangible benefits in addition to oversampling ?

I want to maximize the benefit we get out of Neutron with my IEMs and headphones... Getting the settings right is most important... I am sure @Whitigir comments would whole lot help all the folks here as well.

Feb 6, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #10,609 of 14,596
@Whitigir I was looking the neutron settings you have published in this article (https://www.headpie.net/2021/09/neutron-music-player-recommended-app.html) for DX300 and I am bit confused and would need your help

My favorite setting here is dithering , 64 bits, and Oversampling by Neutron engines to get the maximize processing from Neutron and then Oversampled by using Dx300 and Dx220Max digital filters as well. This mode will net in the most slams, dynamic, imagings, black background and vivid resolutions

To achieve the effect of last bolded statement (No matter Neutron's archaic UI, I love the sound)

1. Should DX312/311 be in NOS filter Mode (D5 - current setting in my case) or in other 4 digital filters (if it is, which one) ?

2. Is my Neutron Settings (bolded is what I have currently selected) correct ?
a. Settings --> Profile --> Bit-perfect
b. Settings --> Playback --> 64 bit processing ON
c. Settings --> Playback --> Resampling --> Audiophile
d. Settings --> Audio Hardware --> MONO OFF --> UPMIX ON --> DITHER ON --> PHASE INVERSION TO HARDWARE GAIN (ALL OFF) --> AUDIO FOCUS ON --> DIRECT USB ACCESS ON --> DSD OVER PCM ON --> OVERSAMPLING 16x --> FOLLOW SOURCE FREQUENCY ON

I dont understand the difference between follow source frequency and bit-perfect. Are they both the same ? Can you have bit-perfect and still oversample the signal ? I have 220Max as well and wondering if the same settings would work ?

I have Z1R and Trio which are my go to for bass and holographic staging... Your guidance on the above settings would be very much appreciated !
Maybe its just my ears or iem pairing but i found that when the oversampling 16x is on, the sound is bit smoother but it lacks layering a bit. Mids and vocals are pushed back which is good but they are rather in the same line with background instruments. When the oversampling is off i get more vivid layering when the vocals are closer but the instruments are still moved back which creates more imaginary depth layering. Dunno

Feb 6, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #10,610 of 14,596
Maybe its just my ears or iem pairing but i found that when the oversampling 16x is on, the sound is bit smoother but it lacks layering a bit. Mids and vocals are pushed back which is good but they are rather in the same line with background instruments. When the oversampling is off i get more vivid layering when the vocals are closer but the instruments are still moved back which creates more imaginary depth layering. Dunno
I agree.. Synergy is quite important and that is why I mentioned Z1R and Trio (I like them so much for the clean bass that doesnt bleed at all into mids - just to my ears)

Feb 6, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #10,611 of 14,596
Finally got my hands on Isa as many of you recommended earlier. Looks like my cat enjoys these as much as I do :)

Well, probably my itch for better sound is relieved for a while... at least till AMP13 will be released)
Oh wait... I also ordered 7Hz while being ill sometime ago. Ok, Millennial...
IMG_20220206_225823.jpg

Feb 6, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #10,612 of 14,596
I agree.. Synergy is quite important and that is why I mentioned Z1R and Trio (I like them so much for the clean bass that doesnt bleed at all into mids - just to my ears)
Yes, synergies are the determining factors. The amazing things is that such processing now can be done on a DAP, and that we can observe the differences. Whatever you do, just follow your heart, and enjoy the music :). My guide is only a rough guide, and meant to be played around with different settings.

Feb 6, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #10,614 of 14,596
Finally got my hands on Isa as many of you recommended earlier. Looks like my cat enjoys these as much as I do :)

Well, probably my itch for better sound is relieved for a while... at least till AMP13 will be released)
Oh wait... I also ordered 7Hz while being ill sometime ago. Ok, Millennial...
IMG_20220206_225823.jpg
Isa is a fantastic DD iem. Very versatile. Isa responds very well to cable swapping. Have mine paired with Dunu Blanche. Cheers

Feb 6, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #10,615 of 14,596
I saw this before on another dap a year ir two back.

I will try to remember what it was about

-Try to slowly insert headphones into all three ports (one at a time).
- try cleaning the port
-Also toggle the different port settings in the meantime
- do a reset with headphones plugged in

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #10,616 of 14,596
What's in the up date?...Still loving my DX312 and not experiencing any problems...sometimes updates = problems 🤷‍♂️
I haven't been able to download offline to qobuz for months. I had to start over with all of my music with apple and it works fine with the dx300. I'm hoping an update will help that out.

Feb 6, 2022 at 10:19 PM Post #10,617 of 14,596
I quite agree it's ridiculous.

If you don't already you can download a browser to the DX300 and download it like that. I've got Chrome on mine for occasional use.
I have chrome too. So just go to the ibasso website I'm assuming? I love my dx300 but it is ridiculous with these updates.

Feb 6, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #10,618 of 14,596
Seriously. Hard to update? All you do is download the firmware. Unzip the file, there is a zip file there that is the firmware, put it on the internal memory or a card and then do a local update. Damn, how hard is that?

Feb 7, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #10,619 of 14,596
I'm thinking about getting a DX300, and was wondering if anyone watches movies/tv shows on it? Since phones are removing headphone jacks and SD Card Slots, a DAP in theory would be perfect for that. Was just wondering if it's powerful enough to watch stuff in 1080p no problem? Local or streamed stuff.

Feb 7, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #10,620 of 14,596
Yes, I love MangoOS! It is lovely and my priority choices, unless I wanted something else that only Android offers, which I don’t typically do.

Does anyone know when Ibasso is back from newyear holiday ?
I saw something about shipping referring to being back 2/09/22, and that shipping would resume 2/10/22.

Thanks for the feedback ! Is Dithering needed to be ON (as in @Whitigir article) for DSD music or does it have any tangible benefits in addition to oversampling ?

I want to maximize the benefit we get out of Neutron with my IEMs and headphones... Getting the settings right is most important... I am sure @Whitigir comments would whole lot help all the folks here as well.
I would say that you don't need dithering if you are listening to DSD. Dithering is more for lower quality files. When converting 24 bit to 16 bit (as an example) you introduce what's called quantization errors. This translates to distortion or harshness to our ears (more readily heard on quiet passages). Dither adds random noise to the mix. What this does is randomize the quantization errors so that your ears are not able to hear it. It goes deeper than this, but this is the end result. Bottom line is that it adds noise (in an area of the track that your ears can't hear) to reduce the noise that you CAN hear on lower quality files.

In mastering and/or DAWs there is also more than one type of dithering you can do (type 1 and type 2). Also, there is noise shaping (think EQ for dithering), so you can manually choose the area of the file that noise gets added (if the noise added automatically doesn't accomplish your goal). Basically when you go from 24 bit to 16 you are discarding that last 8 bits, and if there is anything in that last 8 bits it is added to the current (but lesser) bits, which is what causes the distortion. The process of dithering is called "decorrelation".

Edit: Keep in mind this is all talking about lossless files. Dither does not "fix" quantization errors/distortion in .mp3, .aac, etc...
I'm thinking about getting a DX300, and was wondering if anyone watches movies/tv shows on it? Since phones are removing headphone jacks and SD Card Slots, a DAP in theory would be perfect for that. Was just wondering if it's powerful enough to watch stuff in 1080p no problem? Local or streamed stuff.
It runs movies flawlessly (to my old eyes). This thing runs as well, or better than most smart phones (except flagships, and even then, does better than some of those).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back