iBasso DX300 Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 Octa-core 6GB RAM ******NEW Firmware 2.00 Android 11******
Jan 12, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #9,781 of 14,593
Still effectively limited to CD quality and there something about how Qobuz unpacks and streams that just sounds more right to me than other services. Shouldn't be long before we can get that full HiDef benefit from UAPP with streaming services and DLNA.
Your saying that UAPP is limited or Amazon Music HD?

So you're saying you can't stream hi-res over network in UAPP? That seems like a deal-breaker to me.

Jan 12, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #9,783 of 14,593
You can, i use tidal masters through the UAPP. You can also buy MQA license for 3 euros.
Yeah, I have the MQA license for when I was using Tidal. What I meant was it sounded like that person was saying streaming via DLNA did not allow hi-res.

IIRC you don't have to buy the MQA license, but UAPP only unfolds them 1 time if you don't??

Jan 12, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #9,784 of 14,593
Yeah, I have the MQA license for when I was using Tidal. What I meant was it sounded like that person was saying streaming via DLNA did not allow hi-res.

IIRC you don't have to buy the MQA license, but UAPP only unfolds them 1 time if you don't??
Im not sure about that. Never been interested in how many times the MQA is unfolded tbh:) I bet i wouldnt hear it and for me the main difference between the flacs and the MQAs is not the quality but the way is mastered. I just like the sound of the MQA even tho there are many controversies around this topic (the research says that the MQA is inferior).

Jan 12, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #9,785 of 14,593
IMG_20220112_195025.jpg

Just got my Socrates in and the cable absolutely lifts a veil compared to the Copper M2. Such a beautiful cable in it's construction. It's hard to imagine the mk2's being veiled but I stand corrected!!

Jan 12, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #9,786 of 14,593
Im not sure about that. Never been interested in how many times the MQA is unfolded tbh:) I bet i wouldnt hear it and for me the main difference between the flacs and the MQAs is not the quality but the way is mastered. I just like the sound of the MQA even tho there are many controversies around this topic (the research says that the MQA is inferior).
The theory is that if you don't have a license to unfold an MQA then it will play as a regular FLAC file, and not as a master 24/96 as example. This unfolding is supposed to restore the compressed (or folded) part of the song to make it better than CD quality (to magically turn it from CD to a master). The controversy is that there is no way to offer higher quality than CD by compressing it without losing data, so it is seen as a sham simply to make money and is not a real thing. I am not here to argue either side (and there IS a bit more to it than that). As to my ears, I don't like them as much as I do DSD files, so I simply stay away from them either way. I don't have anything against them, I just won't pay extra to have them.

But yes, as time goes by the research is starting to show more and more that they are indeed inferior. In the end I don't care too much because if you believe they sound really better than CD quality, then you are happy and content, and that is what we are all here for after all. Hopefully I didn't start up any raging arguments, but I also hope it was somewhat helpful to you?!

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #9,788 of 14,593
The theory is that if you don't have a license to unfold an MQA then it will play as a regular FLAC file, and not as a master 24/96 as example. This unfolding is supposed to restore the compressed (or folded) part of the song to make it better than CD quality (to magically turn it from CD to a master). The controversy is that there is no way to offer higher quality than CD by compressing it without losing data, so it is seen as a sham simply to make money and is not a real thing. I am not here to argue either side (and there IS a bit more to it than that). As to my ears, I don't like them as much as I do DSD files, so I simply stay away from them either way. I don't have anything against them, I just won't pay extra to have them.

But yes, as time goes by the research is starting to show more and more that they are indeed inferior. In the end I don't care too much because if you believe they sound really better than CD quality, then you are happy and content, and that is what we are all here for after all. Hopefully I didn't start up any raging arguments, but I also hope it was somewhat helpful to you?!
Sure it was! As i wrote i just like how the MQA sounds, still loving flacs. And it's enough for me when my MQA is unfolded at least 1 time haha. Apart from the topic- for the future- I'm the type of the guy who doesn't find any conversation offensive so, i think people have quite a big margin in my case:)

Jan 13, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #9,789 of 14,593
Sure it was! As i wrote i just like how the MQA sounds, still loving flacs. And it's enough for me when my MQA is unfolded at least 1 time haha. Apart from the topic- for the future- I'm the type of the guy who doesn't find any conversation offensive so, i think people have quite a big margin in my case:)
Good! Because it is rare that I purposely try to annoy. Though my wife might say that that while that is true, I am still very successful at doing just that anyhow.. LOL

I don't disagree about listening to them just as 16/44 but paying extra for redbook 16/44 files doesn't really interest me. Having said that, I do have a few MQA files (one that does unfold to 383). Most of my collection consists of 16/44 FLAC files, but I am slowly but surely building up my 24/XX FLAC and DSD files all the while. I even have at least 2 or 3 DVD-Audio albums (which is a whole other animal altogether).

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #9,791 of 14,593
Good! Because it is rare that I purposely try to annoy. Though my wife might say that that while that is true, I am still very successful at doing just that anyhow.. LOL

I don't disagree about listening to them just as 16/44 but paying extra for redbook 16/44 files doesn't really interest me. Having said that, I do have a few MQA files (one that does unfold to 383). Most of my collection consists of 16/44 FLAC files, but I am slowly but surely building up my 24/XX FLAC and DSD files all the while. I even have at least 2 or 3 DVD-Audio albums (which is a whole other animal altogether).
I am in the same situation and working towards the same things. Now I just need to get a bigger MicroSD card.

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #9,792 of 14,593
Your saying that UAPP is limited or Amazon Music HD?

So you're saying you can't stream hi-res over network in UAPP? That seems like a deal-breaker to me.
Depends on what you consider HiDef. It will do 48khz but not above just yet. Next release will have full resolution without downsampling available for any PCM format, at least for the DX240 and 'I think' that's true here as well. It's not like you're getting more than that from an Amazon streaming or DNLA app within Android right now anyway. If the UAPP is already doing 24/192 etc native in the DX300, I apologize for my misunderstanding and someone please correct me. I don't want to spread bad info and such a great app. I'm waiting patiently for that update on my dx240 as I miss it's great sound and functionality.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #9,793 of 14,593
I am in the same situation and working towards the same things. Now I just need to get a bigger MicroSD card.
I decided to buy a 1TB card when I bought the DX300 but didn't realize that I would already have it 3/4 full. Guess I will have to either bite the bullet and mortgate my house for a bigger one, or just buy another 1TB. :thinking: I DID get an external HD that I have hooked up to my WiFi router so I can network all my music if I want to (or storage only if not). It is a 6TB drive.

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #9,795 of 14,593
Depends on what you consider HiDef. It will do 48khz but not above just yet. Next release will have full resolution without downsampling available for any PCM format, at least for the DX240 and 'I think' that's true here as well. It's not like you're getting more than that from an Amazon streaming or DNLA app within Android right now anyway. If the UAPP is already doing 24/192 etc native in the DX300, I apologize for my misunderstanding and someone please correct me. I don't want to spread bad info and such a great app. I'm waiting patiently for that update on my dx240 as I miss it's great sound and functionality.
Well to me 24/48 is pretty good quality for my streaming needs, but I see what you mean. And you are correct. Amazon does not stream higher than this. So you are saying that the newest update is going to add higher capabilities? If that is so, are they going to have to redo their library? Or is it being downsampled on the fly I wonder?

I honestly can't tell you if UAPP is doing DLNA in 24/192 as I have only just gotten my external HD setup to stream through my Wifi. Not sure if my Wifi router has DLNA capabilites though. It might just be through FTP or a mapped drive. Maybe I'll give this a try with my laptop or something?! Now you have me curious... :scream:

Do you have the DX300 also? Can you share some thoughts between the two? I am interested in the DX240. I love my DX300 but love the size of my DX160 (and thereby the DX240). I will not part with my DX300, but I may get rid of the DX160 for the DX240 if the price is right for what it is (of course). I mostly use the DX300 for home and around the house and yard and use the DX160 for when I am at work. It is just much easier to carry around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back